Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really, with plenty of evidence you wouldn't convict international drug traffickers? That speaks loudly to character that you would follow your belief system as a juror rather than the actual law.
You always kill it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People aren't robots. We have minds of our own, and it's clear that some laws need to be changed.

[MOD CUT]
I know that jurors are instructed to decide based on the law and the facts presented. If a person cannot actually do that they should recuse themselves and they will not be picked for the jury. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-04-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
I don't like Matthews' politics, but how does this involve him?

It's as ridiculous as the lefties linking Limbaugh to some wacko murderer who went to the same school.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Really, with plenty of evidence you wouldn't convict international drug traffickers? That speaks loudly to character that you would follow your belief system as a juror rather than the actual law.
When prosecutors try someone based on the fact that they killed their husband, does the defense not often say "well he was abusive" thus justifying the act of murder?

If the guy got up and said he was selling pot because he finds it a drug with medicinal benefits, and he doesn't understand why its illegal, then I'd find that justification enough for breaking the law.

And I would tell the judge that upfront, which would mean the prosecution wouldn't take me as a juror.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I know that jurors are instructed to decide based on the law and the facts presented. If a person cannot actually do that they should recuse themselves and they will not be picked for the jury. Interesting that you would try to toss racebaiting into the thread too.
But breaking the law under specific circumstances is a perfectly acceptable defense in our country.

People do it everyday "I was speeding, but my wife was in labor"

"I killed my husband, but he was beating me"

"I did steal that loaf of bread, but my family was hungry"

I'm a legal citizen, my opinion is free to me, and I find the fact that someone who was convicted of a non violent crime that hurt no one is a fact that can't be ignored.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM

33,525 posts, read 37,125,817 times
A lot of fuss over a harmless weed....

Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
As far as Chris Matthews goes unless he is involved it doesn't have anything to do with him but it is drug smuggling and when people say there is no harm how do they know? It was being brought from another country probably bought from drug cartels so how many people could have been harmed? Four thousand five hundred pounds is a load, they are in big trouble and rightfully so anyone who wouldn't convict someone on that is foolish.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
As far as Chris Matthews goes unless he is involved it doesn't have anything to do with him but it is drug smuggling and when people say there is no harm how do they know? It was being brought from another country probably bought from drug cartels so how many people could have been harmed? Four thousand five hundred pounds is a load, they are in big trouble and rightfully so anyone who wouldn't convict someone on that is foolish.
Was anyone shot in the arrest? Did they have weapons on their person?

Buying and selling goods, without violence, whether legal or illegal has no violence related.

If someone gets harm from the substance they knowingly buy and puts into their body, thats their problem.

Pots harmless though, so its a win win.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Was anyone shot in the arrest? Did they have weapons on their person?

Buying and selling goods, without violence, whether legal or illegal has no violence related.

If someone gets harm from the substance they knowingly buy and puts into their body, thats their problem.

Pots harmless though, so its a win win.
Drug cartels never harm anyone, yeah your correct

Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Whats the big deal? I am sure it was all for personal use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies