Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
These are the first steps toward destroying SS. And, yes, Obama is a problem in this situation. He's opening the door, whereas Democrats have always stood strong against any tampering with SS. I'm very unhappy with Obama. Others disagree with you in re the solvency of SS. At this point, last I read, it is in good shape through 2037. Btw, what if SS had been privatized during the last CRASH in the market? Plus, individuals for the most part do not really know how to invest. Everyone is not a financial analyst.

Watch closely the deficit ceiling fight which is coming. That is, unless Obama just rolls over and there is no fight.
You're not kidding. Obama already started the ball rolling by stacking this deficit commission with conservative Democrats already on record as considering cuts to benefits. He did that so he could have "bipartisan" cover when he caves into the GOP. Then they made the SS deficit worse by cutting the payroll tax 2% for one year.

I've already know what will happen. The GOP will only reinstate the 2% tax if Dems agree to raise the retirement age.....That's when they will cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,683,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
For some reason, these ungrateful old folks keep voting in the same Republicans who threaten to cut programs which greatly benefit them and demean the party that actually wants to help them ("Keep your goddamn government hands off my Medicare!"). This would hugely reduce our deficit and show people that who you vote for has consequences.
There is no Social Security or Medicare in the """Real Amerika"""

Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is why I do not pay into SS.
Until a few years before your retirement, then you will pay and collect every cent you can.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is why I do not pay into SS.
nor do I driller let them figure out how we get out of paying s.s.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Until a few years before your retirement, then you will pay and collect every cent you can.
OH!! Is THAT what these people are doing!? So that's how they manage to not pay throughout most of their lives yet still collect benefits at the end. Dear gawd! And those seem to be the most vocal about "cutting spending"!!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
And be clueless as to what they've done until it hits them in their pocketbooks.......like a ton of bricks......which will be too late then!
My wife and I just shake our heads every day at the stupidity of these white, Texas, conservative voters all around us.

So many of them on limited incomes, relying only on social security, food stamps, minimum wage jobs, medicare, and medicaide....yet they go to voting booth and vote Republicans in who are about to rake them over the coals.

They heads are full of lies fed to them by the GOP and they have no clue.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

make the retirement age higher

the LIBERALS are the ones that cut medicare (seniors), in favor of medicaid...g figure that...its the liberals that are taking our SS/mediCARE
How high should our retirement age be....until we are

I think they just tried to get rid of Medicare Advantage
Part C which subsidizes Insurance Companies. Either
you can afford your monthly Medicare premium or
if you can't, you should be on Medicaid.

The government should not be paying your premiums instead of you, and paying them to Insurance Companies and still call it Medicare.

It just makes the ones on Medicare that actually pay their own premiums, having to pay that much more - which I think you would agree is not fair to them.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,407 times
We need to take care of our seniors.. They worked hard and built a lot of what we enjoy, that said some came in a raped their retirements and left them stuck with what SS can provide, due to losses in their 401K's etc... They were taken advantage of and their money went to provide posh lifestyles to those that would steal from them.

I say, lets work harder, invest better and keep that money as local as we can, because it is easier to hold local folks accountable for their actions.

(go ahead and flame me, but if a person isn't willing to work for their keep, and feels it's better to manipulate finances that people depend on to become "rich", those are the guys we should be gunning for...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
We need to take care of our seniors.. They worked hard and built a lot of what we enjoy, that said some came in a raped their retirements and left them stuck with what SS can provide, due to losses in their 401K's etc... They were taken advantage of and their money went to provide posh lifestyles to those that would steal from them.

I say, lets work harder, invest better and keep that money as local as we can, because it is easier to hold local folks accountable for their actions.

(go ahead and flame me, but if a person isn't willing to work for their keep, and feels it's better to manipulate finances that people depend on to become "rich", those are the guys we should be gunning for...
What are you saying by keeping the money local? Your advocating privatizing SS?

SS has a excellent 1% overhead. The management of SS is just fine.

What's wrong with SS is that the right wing has filled so many gullible voters head with lies that they think the benefit is on it's last legs which is not.

All that's needed is the will power for people to stick up for themselves and their family' and put in a mild increase in the payroll tax.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
For some reason, these ungrateful old folks keep voting in the same Republicans who threaten to cut programs which greatly benefit them and demean the party that actually wants to help them ("Keep your goddamn government hands off my Medicare!"). This would hugely reduce our deficit and show people that who you vote for has consequences.
Maybe the old farts finally realize that it is the democrats that end up costing them more money and more cuts.

I was wondering how long the "they will kill the old people and starve kindergartners" post would start.

And what a grand exit our former Speaker of the House gave by spending $10,000 a freaking night in a luxury resort. They live like royals while the people bleed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies