Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then that is why you are a police state and not a constitutional republic.
I am trying to get my head around the idea of Denmark being a police state and completely failing, the idea is hilarious.

If I'm pulled over in Denmark, I don't have to follow the US protocol of "Hands where the officer can see them, no sudden movements!", mostly because even hardened criminals tend to not go armed and certainly tend to not shoot at the police. On the flip side, the police tries to not succumb to using firearms - there's paperwork if a police officer even draws his weapon. I'd rather be arrested in Denmark than in the US, that's for damn sure.

(Of course, the US having well over 10 times the incarceration rate of Denamrk makes it a bit of an open question as to who 's the "police state", but that's perhaps tangential.)

Attitudes towards guns? They're like 18-wheelers. Necessary at times, a bit of a bother to be around, apt to be dangerous if you're unskilled or unattentive. Feel free to own and drive one all over your own property, but if you're taking it out among other citizens, it's only fair that you demonstrate that you can use it safely.

Oh, and people who fetishize 18-wheelers (or guns) are perhaps a bit - off.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am trying to get my head around the idea of Denmark being a police state and completely failing, the idea is hilarious.

If I'm pulled over in Denmark, I don't have to follow the US protocol of "Hands where the officer can see them, no sudden movements!", mostly because even hardened criminals tend to not go armed and certainly tend to not shoot at the police. On the flip side, the police tries to not succumb to using firearms - there's paperwork if a police officer even draws his weapon. I'd rather be arrested in Denmark than in the US, that's for damn sure.

(Of course, the US having well over 10 times the incarceration rate of Denamrk makes it a bit of an open question as to who 's the "police state", but that's perhaps tangential.)

Attitudes towards guns? They're like 18-wheelers. Necessary at times, a bit of a bother to be around, apt to be dangerous if you're unskilled or unattentive. Feel free to own and drive one all over your own property, but if you're taking it out among other citizens, it's only fair that you demonstrate that you can use it safely.

Oh, and people who fetishize 18-wheelers (or guns) are perhaps a bit - off.

if cops are the only ones with guns, then you are already in a police state. I for one when I get pulled over, do not have to have my hands on the steering wheel at all.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if cops are the only ones with guns, then you are already in a police state.
If that's axiomatic to you, then I guess further debate is off.

Did you know that the Iraqi populace was quite well armed under Saddam's rule - AKs all over the place? Would that qualify as a police state in your eyes?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If that's axiomatic to you, then I guess further debate is off.

Did you know that the Iraqi populace was quite well armed under Saddam's rule - AKs all over the place? Would that qualify as a police state in your eyes?

yes it would, as not the whole populace had firearms, just mostly his faction. the rest were tortured and kill for not being the same sect of islam as hussien was.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 AM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I see this thread has gone south......

Kids and guns....don't mix end of story
My son shoots just fine thank you....he is 9 years old and been shooting for 3 years now....

50 yards and a can does not have a chance against his 10/22

Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Just a few.....
Attached Thumbnails
Attitudes towards guns-img_2852.jpg  

Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM

499 posts, read 404,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. There is absolutely no argument that can ever be made to contradict that statement.
I disagree. I don't own a gun; nobody I know owns a gun. I'm not planning on joining any gangs or criminal groups so I don't envision myself in a situation where I'd be shot at.

I don't foresee ever needing one.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
I disagree. I don't own a gun; nobody I know owns a gun. I'm not planning on joining any gangs or criminal groups so I don't envision myself in a situation where I'd be shot at.

I don't foresee ever needing one.
No-one has ever been robbed in your area?
There has never been a home invasion?
No rapes?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
No one should be allowed to carry a gun with the sole exception of police officers. That is pretty much the situation in european countries and believe me, it feels good. society has enough problems as it is, no need to fuel it up even more by letting everyone run around armed to the teeth.

I dearly hope that one day, Americans will be able to see it that way but I have my doubts. There's just too many powerful interest groups in the US that will do everything they can to maintain the status quo...
I like the situation we have too. (At present in the UK, only special forces carry guns, ordinary policemen don't.)

However, I don't think it's possible to imitate that in USA. The circumstances differ too much.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No-one has ever been robbed in your area?
There has never been a home invasion?
No rapes?
Yes there have been, but what I'm saying is that for me, personally, I don't find it necessary.

Others may have a different opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.