Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Yes there have been, but what I'm saying is that for me, personally, I don't find it necessary.

Others may have a different opinion.
I hope you are never given a reason to have your ideas challenged first hand. I don't know how people live with themselves knowing that they had the opportunity to protect loved ones and chose to relinquish that personal responsibility to the gamble of a timely police response; rather than, accepting the responsibility to be prepared to defend the lives of their family members, if needed.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I hope you are never given a reason to have your ideas challenged first hand. I don't know how people live with themselves knowing that they had the opportunity to protect loved ones and chose to relinquish that personal responsibility to a timely police response rather than accepting the responsibility to be prepared to defend their families, if needed, themselves.
She lives in the UK,there is little chance to protect yourself.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I would also put in that list,

goverment too large, both federal and state.
I second that motion and move to place that threat very high on the list.

Its a good thing that so many people have awoken from their deep slumber. Should cause the power elite to exercise a bit more discretion. A bit more caution.

Yet all they need to "close the bag" is another crisis. Obama waits, with pen in hand, to implement that which they recommend.

Congress has no spine. Applicants are put through a litmus test to ensure that will be true. Those who grow a spine are tossed aside....with a few exceptions. They need Ron Paul apparently, we shall see what their plan is.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

499 posts, read 405,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
She lives in the UK,there is little chance to protect yourself.
How do you mean? I'm not attacking but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this bit.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
How do you mean? I'm not attacking but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this bit.
The reference was to my response of your post #120. I missed your prior post to that one in which you stated you were in the UK. Had I seen it there would have no reason for me to respond. I am well aware that in the UK elderly women are charged if they try to defend themselves inside their own homes with so much as a garden gnome statue.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Sorry,self defense,especially using a firearm is severely frowned upon there.

Same way in Australia.

Nothing personal meant by it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM

499 posts, read 405,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Sorry,self defense,especially using a firearm is severely frowned upon there.

Same way in Australia.

Nothing personal meant by it.
Ah now I understand, thank you.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Logic fail!

Everyone needs money.

You don't necessary need a gun. In fact I've lived my entire life not owning one.
Deductive reasoning fail!

The analogy is banning a medium with which one commits a crime, not the crime itself.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Logic fail!

Everyone needs money.

You don't necessary need a gun. In fact I've lived my entire life not owning one.
If your logic held, no armed robber would ever murder his victim after they surrendered money to their assailant. They do and thus the need to meet potentially imminent lethal force with lethal force.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Today in Tallehasse FL...some 20 yr old guy was showing off his rifle to a 21 year old Jacksonville, FL native (female) in front of a sorority house...

And the guy accidently discharged the weapen...fataly injuring the female FSU student and another student near by was grazed on the wrist...

The 20 year old guy has been arrested on manslaughter....

Sad thing is, i'm sure this guy was raised around guns and all too, knew all the do's and don'ts...and a needless, mindless tragedy still occured...

what i find interesting, is most people in rural areas, who get guns, who think they will end up useing the gun to fend some intruder away from their home, never happens...

Instead, these guns seem to always end up being used in some domestic shooting incident, whether deliberate or by accident...

Time and time again, these are the stories I read in the news...

No matter how trained they are, how many guns they slept with, kissed and made love too...

In the end, it always seems the guns they buy, always end up becoming a tool of rage, stupitity or clumsyness, that cause their own family members pain and anguish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies