Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times

Advertisements

I never understood how a nation of 300 million can get excited every time one person flips out. What does amaze me is that there is not more news.

But then a lot of homicides go unreported according to a source.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I never understood how a nation of 300 million can get excited every time one person flips out. What does amaze me is that there is not more news.

There has been an abundance in my area locally--at least more than enough for me. Many seem concerned--'Something Must Be Done'--but what?

Many give simplistic answers---'Lock 'em up and throw away the key'--realistically that isn't possible. Getting 'rid' of THEM isn't a solution either.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I agree with you in general---with the exception of the part in bold.

??? 'Good parents'--keep the guns locked up, teach responsible behavior toward guns and then a bright, intelligent teen makes a video with what appears to be an assault weapon. This trivializes the purpose of a weapon---so maybe even 'Good Parents' make some mistakes?
You raise your kids right your word is law. Its called sphere of influence. Pretty sad that a video would trump a childs up raising.
I don't live in that town anymore and still have a safe but its seldom locked. I lock it when the nephews come to call because I didn't raise them and I don't know how well they have been taught.
I feel sad for the victims of bad parents and even worse kids. Like dogs children reflect the disipline they are raised with. I have never seen a disiplined dog attack a person unless provoked to the extreme.
Likewise I have never seen disiplined children play with guns behind their parents backs.
In this day and age its hard to be a good parent. Everybody seems to think that you must reason with a child.
LOL No I didn't beat my children. My son now 24 might have incurred my wrath 3 or 4 times in his entire life and only once did I need to spank him.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You raise your kids right your word is law. Its called sphere of influence. Pretty sad that a video would trump a childs up raising.
I don't live in that town anymore and still have a safe but its seldom locked. I lock it when the nephews come to call because I didn't raise them and I don't know how well they have been taught.
I feel sad for the victims of bad parents and even worse kids. Like dogs children reflect the disipline they are raised with. I have never seen a disiplined dog attack a person unless provoked to the extreme.
Likewise I have never seen disiplined children play with guns behind their parents backs.
In this day and age its hard to be a good parent. Everybody seems to think that you must reason with a child.
LOL No I didn't beat my children. My son now 24 might have incurred my wrath 3 or 4 times in his entire life and only once did I need to spank him.
The kids made a video using what seemed to be rather authentic military style weapons--the parents provided the ways and means to produce the video, knew it was made available online, etc.

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. It is 'bad enough' when parents don't teach kids to respect/handle guns properly---tragic accidents occur. I would imagine--since I know these parents personally--well-educated professionals--extremely conservative Christians, etc--that gun safety is a priority in the home. So I am somewhat perplexed that the teenager is allowed to produce a video--for 'Fun'--featuring lethal weapons and deadly force.
I think I would insist that the teenager remove the video and be certain that he didn't consider doing that again. Maybe I have truly lost my mind---I certainly can't tell anyone else how to live. I am female---no guns allowed in my home by my Mother. My Dad did teach my brother a bit about hunting--wish he had taught me, too.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
The kids made a video using what seemed to be rather authentic military style weapons--the parents provided the ways and means to produce the video, knew it was made available online, etc.

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. It is 'bad enough' when parents don't teach kids to respect/handle guns properly---tragic accidents occur. I would imagine--since I know these parents personally--well-educated professionals--extremely conservative Christians, etc--that gun safety is a priority in the home. So I am somewhat perplexed that the teenager is allowed to produce a video--for 'Fun'--featuring lethal weapons and deadly force.
I think I would insist that the teenager remove the video and be certain that he didn't consider doing that again. Maybe I have truly lost my mind---I certainly can't tell anyone else how to live. I am female---no guns allowed in my home by my Mother. My Dad did teach my brother a bit about hunting--wish he had taught me, too.
I'm perplexed about your seeming agitation over this video. For more years than I can recall, kids have pretended they were shooting one another for any number of reasons. The "guns" they use vary from a pointed finger to a whittled stick to a water piston and even to a realistic looking toy. In this day & age, when tech toys like flip cams & Youtube are de rigueur for teenagers, (especially well educated & well funded teenagers) it really doesn't surprise me at all that some of that play would be put on video. What about this bothers you so?

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 01-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
........ I am female---no guns allowed in my home by my Mother. My Dad did teach my brother a bit about hunting--wish he had taught me, too.
Sorry you mother had a fear of guns in the home. Why repeat her fears? Replace your fear with knowledge.

What is stopping you from learning these things now? I wanted to learn to hunt, I went out and learned. You do know there are courses and hunts designed for women only don't you? I wanted to learn firearms safety and handling, I found respectible instructors to teach me. If I can do it so can you!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm perplexed about your seeming agitation over this video. For more years than I can recall, kids have pretended they were shooting one another for any number of reasons. The "guns" they use vary from a pointed finger to a whittled stick to a water piston and even to a realistic looking toy. In this day & age, when tech toys like flip cams & Youtube are de rigueur for teenagers, (especially well educated & well funded teenagers) it really doesn't surprise me at all that some of that play would be put on video. What about this bothers you so?
Thinking.

The nightly news is filled with 'shooting'/people are killed. I suppose that knowing these parents--leaders of the community--devout Christians and Conservatives--staunchly support wholesome values, etc it is somewhat disconcerting to see that their son uses the family's resources to produce a video that could be termed 'gangsta'--the weapons of choice were large--AKA type guns and the message of the song the band performed was 'rough'.

So --extremely affluent, highly Conservative Christian parents who would responsibly teach their son regard for weapons and respect for life consider it 'OK' to make this type of video?

I watched it and listened to the music--shooting and killing and dying --it bothers me when each night I hear of another violent crime.

If you are in a position of leadership in a community I rather think you need to lead by example?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sorry you mother had a fear of guns in the home. Why repeat her fears? Replace your fear with knowledge.

What is stopping you from learning these things now? I wanted to learn to hunt, I went out and learned. I wanted to learn firearms safety and handling, I found respectible instructors to teach me. If I can do it so can you!
Someday I might. My mother found a rifle my brother had as a teenager and actually thought she needed to take it to the police.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,320 times
Elderly vigilante shoots out burglars' tire - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

elderly man has been robbed and decided to do something other than file police reports....

Armed father fights back against driveway robbers in Cypress | abc13.com

robbers followed man with his children home a tried to rob him.

people are getting fed up with society and are doing something about it, rather than be a victum

Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post

\
Because it's not just ONE out of those 300 million "flipping out". Most people are unstable and prone to violence. Keeping weapons out of their hands is better in the long run for everyone.

When I was a kid, we had lots of fights over inconsequential stuff at school--nowadays kids are bringing weapons to school...if they can get them past the metal detectors that we never had to have installed when we were younger.

In OUR fights, everyone lived another day, and the only thing ultimately hurt was someone's pride. Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies