Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

My outgoing (term limits) governor, Phil Bredesen (a popular Democrat), once made national headlines for calling Obamacare's medicaid "reform" "the mother of all unfunded mandates." I once said that Congress and the President aim to make the states the bad guys with Obamacare because the state governors will have to make deep state spending cuts or raise state taxes to accommodate the Medicaid part of Obamacare, all while the Democrats in Congress and in the White House are cowing about how it is supposed to save money (from a federal perspective). Of course, they don't feel states' financial pain from their houses.

"Under new regulations brought on by healthcare reform (Obamacare), Tennessee's Medicaid program may need to add up to 500,000 individuals to its rolls — a move that could have the potential to cripple the program despite its major overhaul over the last eight years, according to a report by The Tennessean. Since taking office in 2002, Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen cut more than 500,000 people from TennCare's rolls, significantly reforming the program and staving off a state budget crisis. Hospitals in the state agreed to a 3.5 percent fee assessment in 2010 to prevent further cuts in the program."

TennCare to Face Significant Challenges Post-Reform Despite Overhaul | News & Analysis

"Eight years ago, Phil Bredesen successfully campaigned on his pledge to fix TennCare or end it...under new rules for expanding Medicaid programs as part of national health-care reform, the program may need to accommodate 500,000 newly eligible residents beginning in 2014, potentially making TennCare the state's insurer for 1 out of every 3 Tennesseans. Bredesen, the architect of TennCare reform, said the program will become an issue again sooner rather than later. 'The way I look at it is that, basically, I bought the state a decade,' Bredesen said last week."
"

TennCare funding problem persists despite overhaul | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

So, while up there on Capitol Hill and the White House, they're saying Republicans are full of it when it comes to actual cost, maybe we ought to hear from the state governors so taxpayers know from where they will actually take the hit for Obamacare. Maybe in my state, we'll have to fire some teachers, cops and police or raise state taxes or raise state college tuition. The ironic thing in my state is we have no income tax so if the sales tax has to be raised the people who are on Medicaid are going to pay, too.

If you have your own state impact Obamacare pain stories you want to add to this thread, please feel free to add them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
The program faces an immediate loss of nearly $1 billion in July, when stimulus money from the Obama administration's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and other temporary funding sources end.
Five years after Bredesen began overhauling the program, TennCare has 1.2 million enrollees and a budget of $8.2 billion,

TennCare funding problem persists despite overhaul | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

I found that interesting.

Tennessee hospital officials say they largely supported Bredesen's cost-cutting measures, but say it comes at a price that includes a 28 percent increase in charity care across the board for the state's hospitals in the past five years

That part, too. Smart man. He pushed the poor and sickly off the state's rolls and onto the hospitals as charity cases. That's brilliant. <---Not sarcasm. It IS brilliant. If only he could push them all off. But now he can't, hes gotta do the Obamacare thing and actually help sick people.
Only problem is skyrocketting health care costs are killing him.

Who is going to pay for this?

Hospitals this year also voluntarily agreed to a 3.5 percent assessment fee to prevent further cuts to the program.

So, once the hospitals realized what was happening, he hit them with a "Do you want more charity cases? Or do you want to pony up some dough? " Dude, this politician is GOOD.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My outgoing (term limits) governor, Phil Bredesen (a popular Democrat), once made national headlines for calling Obamacare's medicaid "reform" "the mother of all unfunded mandates." I once said that Congress and the President aim to make the states the bad guys with Obamacare because the state governors will have to make deep state spending cuts or raise state taxes to accommodate the Medicaid part of Obamacare, all while the Democrats in Congress and in the White House are cowing about how it is supposed to save money (from a federal perspective). Of course, they don't feel states' financial pain from their houses.

"Under new regulations brought on by healthcare reform (Obamacare), Tennessee's Medicaid program may need to add up to 500,000 individuals to its rolls — a move that could have the potential to cripple the program despite its major overhaul over the last eight years, according to a report by The Tennessean. Since taking office in 2002, Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen cut more than 500,000 people from TennCare's rolls, significantly reforming the program and staving off a state budget crisis. Hospitals in the state agreed to a 3.5 percent fee assessment in 2010 to prevent further cuts in the program."

TennCare to Face Significant Challenges Post-Reform Despite Overhaul | News & Analysis

"Eight years ago, Phil Bredesen successfully campaigned on his pledge to fix TennCare or end it...under new rules for expanding Medicaid programs as part of national health-care reform, the program may need to accommodate 500,000 newly eligible residents beginning in 2014, potentially making TennCare the state's insurer for 1 out of every 3 Tennesseans. Bredesen, the architect of TennCare reform, said the program will become an issue again sooner rather than later. 'The way I look at it is that, basically, I bought the state a decade,' Bredesen said last week."
"

So, while up there on Capitol Hill and the White House, they're saying Republicans are full of it when it comes to actual cost, maybe we ought to hear from the state governors so taxpayers know from where they will actually take the hit for Obamacare. Maybe in my state, we'll have to fire some teachers, cops and police or raise state taxes or raise state college tuition. The ironic thing in my state is we have no income tax so if the sales tax has to be raised the people who are on Medicaid are going to pay, too.

If you have your own state impact Obamacare pain stories you want to add to this thread, please feel free to add them.
in years to come...people, or should I say the average America working class, will wish of ObamaCare.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,551 times
Quote:
Federal health care reform will cost at least $1.1 billion in North Dakota in the next 10 years, a Republican lawmaker said Tuesday.

Rep. George Keiser, R-Bismarck, said the bill will cost at least $74,200 to cover each of the 15,000 North Dakotans uninsured due to situations such as pre-existing conditions and lifetime maximum.

It’s revenue “we’ll have to generate somewhere,”
Health care reform to cost North Dakota $1 billion, Bismarck legislator says | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
The Death Panels have started in Ariz. Obamacare is causing .... oh wait, it's the Ariz Legislature choosing who dies. My bad. In Ariz the Legislature realizes those people on Medicaid are not likely Repub voters anyway, and neither are their families. So who cares if they live or die.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM

179 posts, read 141,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Death Panels have started in Ariz. Obamacare is causing .... oh wait, it's the Ariz Legislature choosing who dies. My bad. In Ariz the Legislature realizes those people on Medicaid are not likely Repub voters anyway, and neither are their families. So who cares if they live or die.
Yep! Haven't seen/heard anything from Sarah Pee's bag-party about it :0.
I'm trying to find out how or why the Healthcare bill is "job-killing"..what jobs can be lost?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farseeker2 View Post
Yep! Haven't seen/heard anything from Sarah Pee's bag-party about it :0.
I'm trying to find out how or why the Healthcare bill is "job-killing"..what jobs can be lost?
If health insurance costs go up then it will costs employers more money. It will result in job loss.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farseeker2 View Post
Wow. I didn't realize there were still people that didn't understand how the health insurance law (first off, it's a law now, not a bill, and second, it doesn't do squat to address care, just insurance) could be bad for businesses.

Let me google that for you

Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

"

How many times do I have to post this.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This law, passed by a Republican President made healthcare unaffordable for a lot of Americans.

ER's were faced with an unpaid for medical mandate, you have to care for everyone. This means if you have a fever, a headache, a toe turned purple after you dropped a hammer on it, anything. Whether you have insurance or not.

This then became the free clinic that the 35% of Americans without healthcare used. Hell even people whose employers offered healthcare and decided not to get it go to the ER when they have a condition. Then they simply don't pay.

ER's faced with this unprecedented mandate were left with few choices on how to pay for it, since the government didn't. So they started charging people with insurance more, or conducting extra tests that weren't needed. This made insurance rates go up, as when the cost of risk increases, then rates go up.

So Obamacare, and all other bills passed by congress are just trying to pay for the Reagan screw up.

Great President my butt.

How Obamacare effected me was by causing my FSA account for work to not be able to be used on tylenol or over the counter meds and supplies. Not that this is a major problem for me.

But if you want to blame anyone for healthcare costing so much, blame a Republican, Ronald Reagan. Prices were cheaper because you were only charged for what was needed before this occurred, and after it prices spiraled out of control.

We can't have the best of both worlds. We can't have national healthcare, and not pay for it. We've had it since 1986, unpaid for, that gave us crazy high costs and the loss of tax revenue. So we should either repeal the 86 Reagan emergency medical treatment act, OR we should pay for healthcare upfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies