Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As I recall, and I was there, it was the so-called left wingers that drove Johnson out of office. As I recall, and I was there, it was the right that insisted that without the defense of the corrupt government of the Republic of Vietnam that we would be fighting communist on the shores of Malibu (wow, that reminds me of another conservative slogan of recent vintage).

Yes, without a doubt Johnson, McNamarra, and Westmoreland were responsible for the loss of tens of thousands of American lives, which is why the left has not nor will not place him in the pantheon of "great" presidents. But that is only a partial portrait of Johnson's accomplishments. The fact also remains that Johnson, Texan of meager background, a former school teacher understood the plight of the poor and disadvantaged and as President of the United States did more to to reduce structural poverty, and to advance equal opportunity than any President before or sense. Absent, the war, we on the "left" would regard him as one of the greatest presidents.
ovcatto !!! ... Your Post Is On The Money !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
He was a champion of civil rights and at least "tried" to make this country a better place. You cannot blame the man for trying, can you? He was a masterful, skilled politician who knew how to play "the washington game". I wish that our current POTUS had that kind of talent.
He was the best politician of his day. No doubt about it.

But he made some poor decisions.

Unintended consequences are tough to foresee.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, when Bush says in his book that HE made the decision toi invade Iraq, he's lying? How's the weather there in FantasyLand today?
Only the Commander in Chief can make the decision to commit troops. We were attacked and Bush did the right thing by responding to ALL threats from that region.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Don't get snippy with me. I responded to nothing that was in your quote. My response was to the statement I referred to. You quoted something else and then make inferences about what I was saying.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what you are saying and what you are saying it in response to before you embarass yourself so horribly again. Now back to the sandbox.

Unbelievable.
This is really ironic, considering that you don't even recognize the post that the person you were responding to was themselves responding to. I don't quite understand why you're unable to comprehend why moionfire said what they did. Nowhere did moionfire claim that there was a single cause, and in fact that was the entire purpose of their post, to point out that LBJ was not "100%" responsible for black poverty. I don't really know how it could be spelled out more easily for you.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
LBJ helped to rename slavery .. if you're so interested in learning about him, simply look up his voting record while he was in Congress .. especially the time around and during the Eisenhower Presidency ..

You might also be interested in his ties to the KKK and the fact that he was successful in getting the KKK vote ..
TheWrap.com | Entertainment Industry Analysis, Breaking Hollywood News

It goes on and on .. just go to Google and do some research
Yeah, I'm still waiting on that "research" about LBJ renaming slavery, which was long dead by the time he was born, and I'm still wondering what this has to do with anything I've said. A 19 second youtube video linked on "thewrap.com" does not constitute research, nor do I see how white supremacist policy is linked to his social policy.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He was the best politician of his day. No doubt about it.

But he made some poor decisions.

Unintended consequences are tough to foresee.

Barry Goldwater stated, in his autobiography, that he thought he could have beat Kennedy yet didn't have much chance against Johnson.

Johnson was a hella politician alright.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
GreqW !!! ... Exactly !

Thank You ! ... At last somone who knows factual history regarding the thread subject matter !

Perhaps a select few others here on good old CDF should actually take the time to read ... yes "Read" a good , reliable, & factual history book before making such postulated statements about LBJ and his era of history.

GregW has set an excellent example for some of the blokes on here !
Don't waste it !!! It's never to late to get some smarts !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
Just wondering......do you ever make any posts with original thoughts, or do you just enjoy cheering others? Do you have any specific information about LBJ which you could add which has not been brought up already, since you advocate reading "good, reliable & factual" history books?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM

37,175 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why is his name rarely brought up as the worst?

He started and escalated the Vietnam War.

He was the architect of "The Great Society", which is 100% responsible for the poverty that exists in the black community today.

Why does this man fly under the radar?
Harry Truman is the one who got us involved in Viet Nam. Read your history book.

Buchanan was hands down the worst.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually poverty DECLINED signficantly during the Kennedy-Johnson Administration. This administration has the BEST RECORD in reducing poverty of any two term adminstration since 1960.

Bush 43
Americans Below The Poverty Level
2001 - 32.907 million 2008 - 39.829 million - increase 21.04%

Overall Population Growth
2001 - 281.475 million 2008 - 301.041 million - increase 6.95%

During the Bush 43 Administration poverty INCREASED three times faster than rate of population growth.

Clinton
1993 - 39.265 million 2000 - 31.581 million - decrease 19.57%

1993 - 259.278 million 2000 - 278.944 million - increase 7.58%

During the Clinton Administration poverty DECREASED 2.5 faster than the population grew.

Reagan
1981 - 31.822 million 1988 - 31.745 million - increase 0.24%

1981 - 227.157 million 1988 - 243.53 million - increase 7.21%
During the Reagan Administration poverty was relatively flat compared to population growth.

Nixon-Ford
1969 - 24.147 million 1976 - 24.975 million - increase 3.43%

1969 - 199.517 million 1976 - 212.303 million - increase 6.41%

During the Nixon - Ford Administrations poverty INCREASED about half as fast as the population grew.

Kennedy-Johnson
1961 - 39.628 million 1968 - 25.389 million decrease 35.93%

Overalll Population Growth
1961 - 181.277 million 1968 - 197.628 million increase 9.02%

During the Kennedy-Johnson Administration poverty DECREASED about four times faster than the population grew.

You might do some research before you post your assertions. Also on another note poverty among Black Americans has DECLINED significantly in the past 50 years.

Oh no its that damn fact thing again.......

Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Because he's not the worst.

Because he's not the worst, not even close. Your point about the Great Society being "100% responsible for the poverty that exists in the black community," is extraordinarily incorrect and I'd love to see you find a scholarly source which argues in favor of such a claim.
the great society was what broke down the family structure in both white and black families. to the point of not trying to work out marital problems a woman could file for food stamps sec.8,health care,basically man was no longer needed to harvest the crop only to plant the seed so to speak

by asking about finding a scholarly person, do you mean one of the liberal college Profs. that tried to brainwash me? aren't they kind of on a welfare type gig called tenure themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies