Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 AM

443 posts, read 564,836 times

Advertisements

Funny isnt it--you take a belt to anyone else in our society and whip them with it, and its called assault and battery. You could get arrested and thrown in jail. But do it to a child and its ok, its teaching them right, its teaching them to behave!
Not so long ago it was considered ok to beat your wife, after all she was considered your property in those not so far off days. At least these days its being talked about. When I was a kid you could literally beat your kid to death and nobody would do much about it. A child was considered your property to do with what you wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
It's abuse, plain and simple. I'm not against giving a kid a good old fashioned swat on the butt either. Just leave the belts and straps out of it.
When I was a kid Mom used the wooden spoon, then Plastic spoons came out and no more wood..
They did leave a mark, do that today and the school sees it.. bye bye mommy.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Both our boys were spanked until they were about 10 years old. I did the spanking myself and not my husband. Did it make our children become abusers? Of course not. Our children are doing great. After age 10, they got privileges taken away. One son is very bright and successful and the other son has Down syndrome and achieves beyond his abilities in personal skills and behavior. Once when my older son was 14, he lost his privileges and he said "Can't you just spank me and get it over with?" Of course, the answer was "No." My brother and I were spanked as children not smacked around as teens because by then, values had been instilled and we are both doing great as did our ancestors before us. I get so sick of the psychologist types saying how wrong it is to spank your child - well, I guess since I spanked mine they aren't in therapy so that is money not going in the psychologists pocket!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

357 posts, read 727,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
Funny isnt it--you take a belt to anyone else in our society and whip them with it, and its called assault and battery. You could get arrested and thrown in jail. But do it to a child and its ok, its teaching them right, its teaching them to behave!
Not so long ago it was considered ok to beat your wife, after all she was considered your property in those not so far off days. At least these days its being talked about. When I was a kid you could literally beat your kid to death and nobody would do much about it. A child was considered your property to do with what you wanted.

Funny isn't it -- you tell anyone else what to do, how to do it, what is good or bad, and its called being judgmental. Do it to a child and it's called teaching them right and good parenting!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I was raised by a violent alcoholic step father with a fondness for hitting. When I got big enough I told him I would kill him if he touched me. The threat was sufficient because he realized I could and would beat him to death if he touched me. The only thing stopped me was I did not want to go to prison for pest control.

I can only conclude that a violent childhood results in a potentially violent adult. Controlling that violence, except for a tour in the River Boats in ‘Nam, has been a lifelong struggle.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM

36,511 posts, read 30,847,571 times
I think it depends on the child, the age and the offense. Normally and the majority of the time right and wrong is instilled in children early and other forms of discipline are sufficient. I have seen children that defy this and require a stronger hand to keep them in line. I have encountered children that I would personally like to whip the dog pee out of.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
"Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender." ~ W. C . Fields

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I'm not personally against spanking. Slapping and whipping yes. Whether that constitutes child abuse I don't know, I guess it depends on the case. I was spanked and slapped as a child. While I consider myself an honorable member of society I don't think I became that way because of being spanked. People need to teach their kids about outside consequences of misbehavior rather than just "getting punished because you didn't listen". I guess the argument against corporal punishment of any kind would be that it doesn't teach kids anything but to fear their parents and/or to lash out violently later on when someone does something they don't like and maybe that's true. Not so for me; while I was spanked I still learned to behave.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
I was spanked and slapped as a child. I wish CPS was around when I was a child. Now they are abundant.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
There was once a man who sold a farmer a mule. He told the farmer not to beat the mule or else the mule would sit down and not work.
The farmer took the mule home and hooked him to the plow; he then yelled "geehaaa".
The mule just stood there. The farmer yelled and yelled but the mule would not move.
The man who sold the farmer the mule was walking by and saw the trouble he was having and offered to help. He picked up a piece of wood and smacked the mule upside his head and yelled "gehaaa". The mule took off and began to pull the plow.
Later the man questioned the man, saying that he had told him not to beat the mule.
The man replied that what he did was not beating the mule he said 'I was just getting his attention".

Sometimes kids like mules need something to get their attention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies