Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
I would then discuss with you why its not any of your business and proceed to tell you about the consequences of your actions if you continue your behavior.

I don't have kids nor would I spank them if I did, but as long as a child is not being physically abused or harmed, its none of my business. Spanking is not illegal. In fact, most states have statutes allowing it. Oregon for example has:

Additionally, if you want to give a kid as much respect as an adult, go right ahead. However, respect is something earned and reciprocated. Can a four year old truly respect his parents? Your examples of a wife or subordinate employee are not at all germane.
Pray tell, what consequences would that be? Threats? Now the physical punishment of a child might very well be a judgment call in some states, threats usually aren't, so really that'd just give me more to hand over to the PD.

The law you refer to has room for interpretation, I interpret slapping, spanking or whipping a child to be unreasonable force, knowing that, it's my duty as a human and resident of this country to inform the proper authorities.

And lastly, I don't think respect is earned, I have baseline of respect for anyone the first time I meet them, respect is however easily lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I think the guy in that video is a bad example. A typical "Johnny come lately" Clearly that boy is way past the age where spanking in an effective mean of changing his behavior. He is old enough to out smart the uncle and continue on his path to gang activity. The uncle should of been there as soon as the boys father bounced. He's acting like a gangster himself "Do this or I will beat you up" That's what he just taught the boy how to make people do what you want , you beat them.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The law you refer to has room for interpretation, I interpret slapping, spanking or whipping a child to be unreasonable force,
And the law, sometimes explicitly by statute (Oklahoma's goes the furthest in defining "spanking, switching or paddling" as "ordinary force"), and sometimes as interpreted through case law, disagrees with you.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
And the law, sometimes explicitly by statute (Oklahoma's goes the furthest in defining "spanking, switching or paddling" as "ordinary force"), and sometimes as interpreted through case law, disagrees with you.
I'm perfectly comfortable letting the LEOs or the judicial system make that decision.

And I'm currently in TX, where I'll spend the predominant amount of my time.

EDIT: And quite frankly, if that's the law, the law needs to be changed, this is one step in lobbying for that.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
And I'm currently in TX, where I'll spend the predominant amount of my time.
From the Texas AG:

When is discipline abusive?

Some parents who become abusive believe that what they are doing is in the best interest of the child and are confused about when an attempt at discipline crosses the line and becomes abuse. Whether an action is abusive really depends on the circumstances of the individual case. However, the following guidelines may help:

* Striking a child above the waist is more likely to be considered abusive; disciplinary spanking is usually confined to the buttocks.

* Spanking with the bare, open hand is least likely to be abusive; the use of an instrument is cause for concern. Belts and hair brushes are accepted by many as legitimate disciplinary "tools," and their use is not likely to be considered abusive, as long as injury does not occur. Electrical or phone cords, boards, yardsticks, ropes, shoes, and wires are likely to be considered instruments of abuse.

* It is best not to hit a child in anger. Abusive punishment is most likely to occur when the parent is out of control.

* Finally, and most important, punishment is abusive if it causes injury. A blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive. On the other hand, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, probably would be judged abusive.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/AG_Publi....shtml#prevent

Quote:
And quite frankly, if that's the law, the law needs to be changed, this is one step in lobbying for that.
Good luck in changing a law that has overwhelming public support.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
From the Texas AG:

When is discipline abusive?

Some parents who become abusive believe that what they are doing is in the best interest of the child and are confused about when an attempt at discipline crosses the line and becomes abuse. Whether an action is abusive really depends on the circumstances of the individual case. However, the following guidelines may help:

* Striking a child above the waist is more likely to be considered abusive; disciplinary spanking is usually confined to the buttocks.

* Spanking with the bare, open hand is least likely to be abusive; the use of an instrument is cause for concern. Belts and hair brushes are accepted by many as legitimate disciplinary "tools," and their use is not likely to be considered abusive, as long as injury does not occur. Electrical or phone cords, boards, yardsticks, ropes, shoes, and wires are likely to be considered instruments of abuse.

* It is best not to hit a child in anger. Abusive punishment is most likely to occur when the parent is out of control.

* Finally, and most important, punishment is abusive if it causes injury. A blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive. On the other hand, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, probably would be judged abusive.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/AG_Publi....shtml#prevent

Good luck in changing a law that has overwhelming public support.
Slavery had overwhelming public support, as did pretty much any other law that's been abandoned over the years. If the overwhelming public were to always get the last world, we'd all still be living in caves wondering what fire is.

Last edited by TheViking85; 01-16-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Whipping and beating are two entirely different actions with different motivations, IMO.
I as and am what most might consider a very strict parent....however "whipping" and/or "beating" a child, any child, was never part of the process of being a parent IMO.....

The desired result...."behavior modification" might appear successful....however when a parent or guardian needs to use physical force to gain understanding and compliance.....maybe the problem is the "parent"....

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
First, I have seen opinion polls stating that still 2/3 of all adults still support the right to inflict corporal punishment on a child. This is indeed down from the 90% in the 1960's, but it is still a relatively high figure. So yes, I must agree that there is still much public support for it, especially in a state like Texas (where it is even used in public and private schools).

Anyway, as you can already assume, it is more commonly practiced among minorities, religious conservatives and low income families. Of course, it is more common in the "red" states than in the "blue" states. However, that later comment is a big generalization. For example, even Minnesota (I believe that was the state) and California in recent years failed to outlaw corporal punishment in the home. Therefore it is legal in the home nationwide. The laws vary by state, some states wording the laws more conservatively than others, but it is legal in all states provided it is not excessive. Other countries, especially in Europe, have outlawed the practice in the home. Sweden, I believe was the first to abolish all forms of corporal punishment in the home and such laws spread to many other European countries and a couple Latin American ones. However, many other countries not only still allow corporal punishment in the homes and schools, but it is also a lot more common than even in the US. Many countries in Africa and Asia have almost universal approval of the practice. Though, I will say that except for Korea, these places tend to be less economically developed than the West.

As for corporal punishment in the schools here in the US...It is more likely that more of the states that still practice corporal punishment in the schools will eventually outlaw it, at least in the public schools. Eventually a Federal Law may be passed banning it in the remainder of the states. It may always be practiced in private schools in the South but eventually corporal punishment in the public schools will die out. Heck, even Virginia outlawed the practice in public schools. However the majority of southern states, especially in the Deep South still allow corporal punishment in public schools. As someone from New Jersey, I never even knew that before reading an article about it in the NYTimes. Here in NJ (along with Iowa), corporal punishment is illegal in BOTH public and private schools. I attented a Catholic High School and we were never hit, so I was shocked that even public schools down South would actually practice it. But they do.

That is why I looked into this topic. I just couldn't believe that it was so tolerated in that part of the country because that would NEVER be allowed here in NJ. Though, here in NJ and other parts of the NE it is still practiced in some families. Among white suburban families here, I think the opinion is really divided on the issue. Even among parents that support corporal punishment, I believe they would only inflict the punishment only on occasion. Like I said before, the inner city and in the Southeast it is more common. Thus, this situation allows for a slight general approval for corporal punishment overall in the United States. As for myself, I had loving parents. Before the age of 10, I got hit with the belt and sometimes even a ping-pong paddle. It happened somewhat often, especially when I was really young. Note: This was the 1980's. Was it abusive? No. I would definetly call it abuse. I was only hit on the rear and no scars were ever left. It did seem to work with my brother and I for a specific problem because I was too scarred to do it again. More importantly, it was still legal so how can I call it "abuse" when it was not by the legal standards of our society. On the other hand, would I eventually inflict corporal punishment on my kids? The answer to that is "no." Why? It is becoming a dated practice and I would be too afriad of criticism from teachers and pediatricians should the child mention it. You never know if you could be brought into court in this day and age because many people here in NJ are against all forms of corporal punishment. Our society is indeed slowly moving away from this practice. Also, the risk to injury is present. Finally, considering the fact that there are other forms of punishment (a lot of successful people were never disciplined like that as a child) that are just as effective, it would only be wise to choose the less controversial, especially considering recent trends and the part of the country I live in.

To sum it up, do I think corporal punishment in moderation is abuse. No.

But do I think it is wiser to use other forms of punishment. Yes.

On the other hand, do I think corporal punishment should be banned. Not yet. Maybe in 40 years but too many peopel still support it.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 PM

208 posts, read 415,998 times
Whipping or spanking children always does more harm than good and in more ways that you may think.

Spanking is linked to lowering a child's IQ. I recall reading about it last year.

Quote:
Spanking lowers a child's IQ, researcher says

Being spanked as a child is linked to having a lower IQ, according to a study presented today at the International Conference on Violence, Abuse and Trauma in San Diego.

The relationship between spanking and intelligence is found in children around the world, said the lead author of the study, University of New Hampshire professor Murray Straus. Children in the United States who were spanked had lower IQs -- by 2.8 to 5 points -- than those who were not spanked, Straus found.

How would spanking impact intelligence? Straus suggests that the chronic stress created by regular spanking creates post-traumatic stress symptoms in children. PTSD is linked to lower IQ. Economic status also underlies both spanking practices and IQ, Straus said, a leading researcher on corporal punishment. His studies were funded, in part, by the National Institute of Mental Health.

Another study, reported earlier this month in Booster Shots, found that many poor children are spanked at ages as young as 1 and that the practice is tied to more aggressive behavior by age 2 and delayed social-emotional development by age 3.
Other studies go back to 1998.

Additional effects include teaching children to accept the use of violence and triggering anti-social and aggressive behavior. It's also been linked to higher levels of depression.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
I believe it's nothing short of First Degree Aggravated Assault and should be illegal.

I find it disturbing that people are more outraged when they see a dog being abused, yet striking a helpless child is okay. Sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies