Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

Fear is good.. Let's look at that in a different light. Till you learned that respecting your parents was the right thing to do, most kids I grew up with, respected their parents, because if they didn't, their father would spin their heads right off their shoulders.

So, the correct behavior started as a learned behavior, because you feared the punishment, and the person about to do so.. ONCE you grew up a bit, you understood why, and the learned behavior, now the norm, was understood.

Bolded text - Actually, there is a way.
1. Have school disciplinary issues increased in a greater proportion than the increase in students.

The answer would be yes, based on conversations with MANY people in the educational field.
Why? Several reasons, Parent apathy, lack of respect, and again, children never learned to fear the consequences of their actions. Because they don't care what the consequences are there is far more disciplinary issues in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
So there was a
that came out yesterday about a teenager getting whoopped by his uncle for acting like a thug on Facebook. I feel a little embarrassed for the teen but I think his uncle did the right thing and, eventhough Im not a parent, I think it should be used in some occasions (not all of em tho)

So what do you think? Do you consider whipping children as discipline or child-abuse?

mas23
Abuse, plain and simple...There are better ways than whipping.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Fear is good.. Let's look at that in a different light. Till you learned that respecting your parents was the right thing to do, most kids I grew up with, respected their parents, because if they didn't, their father would spin their heads right off their shoulders.

So, the correct behavior started as a learned behavior, because you feared the punishment, and the person about to do so.. ONCE you grew up a bit, you understood why, and the learned behavior, now the norm, was understood.

1. Have school disciplinary issues increased in a greater proportion than the increase in students.

The answer would be yes, based on conversations with MANY people in the educational field.
Why? Several reasons, Parent apathy, lack of respect, and again, children never learned to fear the consequences of their actions. Because they don't care what the consequences are there is far more disciplinary issues in school.
Frankly, this is nonsense.

Fear is not good. Fear does not instill respect. Good parents do not need fear and violence to instill respect in their kids. Neither do good teachers. Hitting kids is the last resort of incompetent parents.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Abuse, plain and simple...There are better ways than whipping.
And then they wonder why a teen might get a gun and blow away the uncle.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,462 times
Quote:

Agreed. There was a time that that was considered part of standard home training--respect for and deference to authority.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:56 PM

59 posts, read 89,913 times
I will say that I am all about people being allowed to instill discipline in the way that they see fit...as long as it doesnt harm the child. My husband was spanked and he is fine..I was not spanked and I am fine. But hair pulling from the temple really made me stop and go wow..I read that to my husband and his mouth dropped open and he said wow too.

I cant see how hair pulling is an acceptable form of discipline...in any way..and ironic as many children pull each other's hair when they are young and you have to make them stop..good luck explained to a child why you pull their hair as discipline but they cant pull susie's hair!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Agreed. There was a time that that was considered part of standard home training--respect for and deference to authority.
Quote:

I think respect for and deference to authority is hugely important for children to learn. I don't know that spanking is the most effective way to achieve that. However, as I stated earlier, I'm not opposed to an open handed swat on the bottom used as a strategy, not out of parental anger. It's just not the technique I find most useful. I am thoroughly against anything more physical than that, not just for potential abuse issues but also because the human brain ceases to process information when it becomes emotionally overwhelmed, so I don't find it to be the most effective way to teach kids. Do I think having fear of consequences of their actions is important? Absolutely. Do I think having fear of the parent is the best way to achieve this? I don't.

Re: bolded text - I am not disagreeing with you that school disciplinary issues have increased. I was disagreeing that anyone can ascertain that the reason for the increase is due to removing spanking from the schools or home. I agree with all of the reasons you stated, all of which could potentially explain the school discipline issues increasing.

I would also add that I see a lot of parents allowing their kids to "escape" the consequences of their actions (e.g., intervening at school, not following through on punishments, etc.) - I doubt that's helping the discipline issue, either. ETA: I don't spank but you'd better believe that if my son does something wrong there will be consequences (both real-world and imposed by mom and dad) and I'm not going to "save" him from them.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 02-05-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
I believe you should have to take a test before becoming a parent. Kids that are hit and screamed at become less productive adults. Parents who are educated in parenting skills know how to discipline their kids without using a belt. I know there are people on this forum that say "I got it and I turned out ok." Sorry, but that was 30 plus years ago and that old way of doing things just doesn't fly anymore. Those were simpler things for simpler times.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,065 times
The vid was removed...any other sources?

The problem is that kids today think their opinions matter. And their parents simply allow it. THEY ARE KIDS, THEY DESERVE NOTHING.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Depends on how it's done. It's not cut and dried and a little physical pain isn't going to ruin anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies