Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
No, they just make them wait four to six months before they can see a doctor. Do you really want to wait four to six months before a tumor or funny looking mole can be treated?
And yet somehow, their life expectancy still manages to be two and a half years longer than ours.

Also, although I think it's true that health-care in Canada is slow, your figures are a gross exaggeration, which suggests that you just made them up.

Health care in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Wait times
Health Canada, a federal department, publishes a series of surveys of the health care system in Canada based on Canadians first-hand experience of the health care system.[50]
Although life-threatening cases are dealt with immediately, some services needed are non-urgent and patients are seen at the next-available appointment in their local chosen facility.
The median wait time in Canada to see a special physician is a little over four weeks with 89.5% waiting less than 90 days.[50]
The median wait time for diagnostic services such as MRI and CAT scans [51] is two weeks with 86.4% waiting less than 90 days.[50]
The median wait time for surgery is four weeks with 82.2% waiting less than 90 days.[50]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
First of all, I'm an American.

As a kid, I kinda sorta bought the whole jingoism thing about the heroic Founding Fathers, and One Nation Under God, and all that. I never really got emotional during the National Anthem or anything, just seemed like a tradition, but I never really thought much of it.

The older I get (I'm only 21 btw), the more and more I realize most of what we consider great about America is either not true at all or isn't true in this day and age. The reality is, America is not all that free compared to a lot of countries, you can't really do anything without a permit and multiple forms of ID, pot is still illegal, the media, while technically free, is dominated by the mainstream media to the point that the influence of the alternative media is permitted only because it is not influential in comparison, we have more people in jail than any country in the world because we believe in revenge and not in rehabilitation and treatment, it costs a fortune to rent, to the point that poor people can't even live in some states.

Americans are basically raised to believe the outside world is still living in the 1800s at the latest and the stone age in many places. Most Americans have no idea that western Europe and much of Asia is far more modern in infrastructure than most of the States are, and ignore the fact that places like New Orleans are practically third world and even though we don't chop off people's hands like a few Middle Eastern countries do, we do still use the death penalty even though countries like Turkey have even gotten rid of it and put people in jail for decades for relatively minor crimes such as drug offenses. Not to mention a very large percentage of Americans probably believe the world is 6,000 years old and that evolution is a myth.

American idealism is a strange brew of Christianity, materialism, and individualism. Religion without spirituality, Christ without the compassion. Everything is about individual rights even though the average American loves to complain about how irresponsible people unlike themselves are.

Americans are the most submissive to authority people ever. Americans demand swift and cold justice to all evil-doers, unless they wear a suit, then they deserve our scorn but otherwise deserve to get off scott-free. Americans believe being in the Army automatically makes you a hero, even if you kill innocent people in other countries for fun. We constantly re-elect the same types of people into office even though they never do us any good, because we believe that strongly in the good of the status quo.

Americans would rather let people with cancer just die than have universal healthcare. Hard work is valued infinitely over having a good time; that's why most Americans only get 3 weeks off their job the WHOLE FREAKING YEAR.

I thought only a certain type of American (ie, a redneck) was super-patriotic and jingoistic, but I've come to discover a vast majority of my people basically think we're superior to everyone else.

Stop kidding yourselves guys - we are not the light of the world. Not anymore at least.
grow up and see the world for what it really is, and not what the mainstream media presents it to be. in this country you can still be what ever you want to be IF YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR IT. you cant say that about most other countries in the world. for instance, if you are a natural born citizen of this country, you can be president if you are willing to apply yourself. try that in most any other country. you cannot be prime minister in britain, japan, france, etc. it is easier to become rich in this country than in any other country in the world.

if you dont like this country, leave it. i hear mexico is nice this time of year. yes this country, like every other country in the world that is now or ever has been, has its faults, the biggest difference is that we dont try to hide them in this country, for the most part.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,194 times
Quote:
No, they just make them wait four to six months before they can see a doctor. Do you really want to wait four to six months before a tumor or funny looking mole can be treated?
How many stories have you actually heard of a Canadian DYING because they couldn't get fast care? While in America, I'm sure there's many cases of people who have died but would have lived if they could afford better treatment.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
My dad went to school in London Ontario. My co-workers are Canadian. I've met several Canadians...all of whom have told me that it is rare to have such long wait times. It does happen, but rarely.

My uncle died of cancer...my best friend has cancer (in remission)...For my uncle he had to wait about 3 to 4 months for tests (here in the US). My best friend's treatment was denied at one point by her insurer. It's not perfect here by any stretch of the imagination.

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Yeah, people from like MEXICO and INDIA. Do you see masses of people from Canada, Sweden, Australia, etc still coming here?
Have you been to Arizona in the winter time? Tons of Canadians come to Arizona and live for the entire winter. They come to take advantage of our healthcare system. Many elderly Canadians come to the doctor in the U.S. because they wait months before they can receive treatment in their country. Canadians come to Arizona by thousands in the wintertime. I have seen it because I used to live near a retirement community and would see Canadians coming in to take advantage of the U.S. health care system. Go to any R.V. park, extended stay, or retirement home, you will find many Canadians.

Then, after the winter and doctor visits are over, they go home for the summer. Of course, they rush back every winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it is easier to become rich in this country than in any other country in the world.
is it easier to be happy, though?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Have you been to Arizona in the winter time? Tons of Canadians come to Arizona and live for the entire winter. They come to take advantage of our healthcare system. Many elderly Canadians come to the doctor in the U.S. because they wait months before they can receive treatment in their country. Canadians come to Arizona by thousands in the wintertime. I have seen it because I used to live near a retirement community and would see Canadians coming in to take advantage of the U.S. health care system. Go to any R.V. park, extended stay, or retirement home, you will find many Canadians.

Then, after the winter and doctor visits are over, they go home for the summer. Of course, they rush back every winter.
I think that has more to do with the climate than with the system. Of course they would have to use the American system when they're IN America.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Well, I've been to Canada, Europe, and Latin America. And I enjoyed touring each place, which had its own charm and memorable people. They were all good places to visit. The Mediterranean and Aegean in particular are enchanting.

But I can honestly say that I'm glad that I live in America.
And I'm the opposite.
I don't like living in America; I find the culture violent and hateful.
The amount of greed and disdain for those less fortunate disgusts me.

I never seem to feel comfortable when I live there, so I try not to.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:

I think they come to Arizona for the sun...not healthcare. Why is it that Americans travel up north for healthcare?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
grow up and see the world for what it really is, and not what the mainstream media presents it to be. in this country you can still be what ever you want to be IF YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR IT. you cant say that about most other countries in the world. for instance, if you are a natural born citizen of this country, you can be president if you are willing to apply yourself. try that in most any other country. you cannot be prime minister in britain, japan, france, etc. it is easier to become rich in this country than in any other country in the world.
This is flat out B.S., completely naive. American economic mobility and inequality is increasing, and economic mobility is lower than countries like Canada, Sweden, Germany, France, and others.

http://www.economicmobility.org/asse...m%20Report.pdf

Quote:
There is little available evidence
that the United States has more relative mobility than
other advanced nations. If anything, the data seem to
suggest the opposite. Using the relationship between
parents’ and children’s incomes as an indicator of
relative mobility, data show that a number of countries, 5
including Denmark, Norway, Finland, Canada, Sweden,
Germany, and France have more relative mobility than
does the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies