Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 AM

45 posts, read 45,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramH View Post
Obviously its not all about economic growth to define a good country.
Or is everyone who says it is, moving to Afghanistan no with 22% growth?
Afghanistan's growth is high because it is working from an extremely small base. If I make $100 a year, making and extra $22 next year would amount to a 22% increase. On the other hand if was making $50,000 a year, I would need to make an extra $11,000 a year to have a 22% year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 AM

262 posts, read 547,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronous View Post
Afghanistan's growth is high because it is working from an extremely small base. If I make $100 a year, making and extra $22 next year would amount to a 22% increase. On the other hand if was making $50,000 a year, I would need to make an extra $11,000 a year to have a 22% year.
No need to explain that.
I was only saying that giving random numbers of growth therefore make no sense on its own.

Like said before, first of all, what country/continent is better is an opinion one can have and doesn't matter as long as the persons who lives in a country likes that country. Isn't that the point of the topic in stead of talking about numbers which say nothing.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,815,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronous View Post
Actually the countries in the world that are doing consistently well economically are restricted to a select few countries in the third world (e.g. China, India) that don't splurge on the welfare state. European economies are even more anemic in growth then the US (-2.6% growth rate in 2009) such as the UK (-5%), Germany (-4.7%), or the European Union as a whole (-4%).

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2003rank.html

Of course we could go even further down the tubes like Greece or Ireland with their debt crisis caused by enormous social entitlements.
Isn't is funny then, that the countries with a debt crisis, the UPIGS group, are all countries with low social entitlemnts, and that the countries doing well are the ones with large entitlements?

You'd almost think that the link between social entitlements and a debt crisis were lazy or even wishful thinking.

You may also want to look at growth rates outside of the crisis years of 2008-up And remember that the median European seems to get a bigger slize of his countrys growth than the median American.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,480,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Isn't is funny then, that the countries with a debt crisis, the UPIGS group, are all countries with low social entitlemnts, and that the countries doing well are the ones with large entitlements?

You'd alost think that the link between social entilments and a debt crisis were lazy or even wishful thinking.

You may also want to look at growth rates outside of the crisis years of 2008-up And remember that the median European seems to get a bigger slize of his countrys growth than the median American.
Spain and Greece are high social entitlement countries, I believe. I guess it depends on how you define the word.

Also, I don't think it's a debt crises you are talking about, since many European countries have a higher debt/GDP ration than the U.S.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
The new generation refuses to be proud of the modern era corporatist slave agenda. I recommend that these people stay here and change course to return the USA to its foundation of fair trade with the reduction of corporate conglomerates and small government.

In the meantime, I suggest fascist, so-called conservatives relocate to China and take up a living there.
Yes we are fascists because we don't adhere to the leftist vision of America. Historically, America has always been pro-business until the hippies had their party in the 1960s so yes let us return to our foundation of individualism, thrift, and personal responsibility.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,815,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Spain and Greece are high social entitlement countries, I believe. I guess it depends on how you define the word.

Also, I don't think it's a debt crises you are talking about, since many European countries have a higher debt/GDP ration than the U.S.
That is why there is a "U" there.

On Spain and Greece, they may have high social entitlements compared to what they can afford, but not in terms of spending:

Source: British Medical Journal

The mortality axis isnt that interesting for our purposes, but the social spending one shows an interesting grouping...

(Also, it is enough to take a trip trough Europe and see which countries have beggars, homeless and social cases on the streets)

Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,233,519 times
I think the OP should make an effort to live somewhere else of his/her choice for awhile. That person will either feel more compatible with it, or make the realization that America ain't so bad, after all.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramH View Post
How do you rate whats expensive to live. The countries where prices are higher than average are these countries where income is also higher.
That is Norway as a first place. Sweden/Finland arent as expensive anymore. Denmark is, but hey Danish Crone is strong.
Other Northern countries, could be considered the Netherlands, which I know has a lot of things which are more expensive like supermarket compared to when you go to Germany (I live on the border for that!). But still, if you don't manage to live here with an average salary you should find the mistake in your own spendings.

I can not compare spendings in the USA unfortunately tho.
I look at personal experience and more objectively surveys form xpatulator.com (click the Read More button under the Latest Article Section) which indicates that out 300 international cities the most expensive city in the US (NYC) is only ranked 33rd (about the same as Glasgow, UK) while the second highest is ranked 95th (San Francisco). London is ranked 16th, Paris is 21st, Copenhagen (Denmark) is 14th, and Oslo (Norway) is 8th.

As for incomes, looking at GDP per capita, the US is ranked 11th in the world with primarily small city-states (e.g. Luxembourg, Singapore), banking centers (Bermuda, Luxembourg), and small oil rich states (Brunei) ahead of it.

Xpatulator - international cost of living calculator
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,110,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
There are people in this world - including Canadians like me (originally from Eastern Europe) who dreads the day their parents set foot in Canada. I dreamed of United States for about 15 years now and still do.

I am not sure what to do anymore. I considered stealing someone's identity, looking on ebay if anyone would want to trade me, or pay money for someone's identity? I know it's wrong but I'm thinking of all options.

Regardless, I will probably do master's in US. My main point with all of this is. Millions of people all over the world want to live in America, but I bet only a few thousand Americans ever leave.

Interesting tidbit: Did you know that even during this "recession and mortgage crisis" the per capita unemployment rate of United states is lower, and has been lower for 25 years than Canada. Think about that for a bit. And before you throw social programs at me, I'd much rather be "working and in debt" like an American than "unemployed and have fun" like a Canadian..
Ah, the dreaded curse of those who brag about the American system while enjoying all of the benefits granted by the Canadian system. Canada isn't all that bad, there are millions of people around the world who would die to have a shot at the life most Canadians enjoy. I just find it to be in poor taste for you to be so unappreciative to the country which has given you so much (including a better shot at immigrating to the US)...

Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 AM

33,494 posts, read 36,972,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Ah, the dreaded curse of those who brag about the American system while enjoying all of the benefits granted by the Canadian system. Canada isn't all that bad, there are millions of people around the world who would die to have a shot at the life most Canadians enjoy. I just find it to be in poor taste for you to be so unappreciative to the country which has given you so much (including a better shot at immigrating to the US)...
Especially when he/she cannot even be truthful about Canada...

//www.city-data.com/forum/17315791-post221.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies