Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They're going after soda drinkers next.
That's small peanuts. They are going after internet purchases next and are trying to pass a 6.25% sales tax on all internet transactions to be automatically collected at the time of the sale.

If successful, other cash strapped states will likely follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
That's small peanuts. They are going after internet purchases next and are trying to pass a 6.25% sales tax on all internet transactions to be automatically collected at the time of the sale.

If successful, other cash strapped states will likely follow suit.
And to add to that they are pushing an "Internet ID" for Americans which makes it that much easier to track and verify your actions on the internet.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

576 posts, read 586,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Do what I do. When self-identified progressives in places like NJ, NY, MA, CA and WA, for examples, ask about living in a conservative state, I always suggest they seriously look into NC due to all of the "progress" that's occurred there due to the influx of people fleeing the aforementioned states.

I hate you

Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Xanathos---I stand corrected, and I'm looking forward to another follwup media report from the WSJ or elsewhere later this year.

I expect that such a report (or an editiorial, in the case of the WSJ) will show yet another 'unintended consequence' for yet how another 'soak the rich' scheme initiated by clueless politicians became yet another spectacular failure.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
who ever suggested that idea should be hung in the middle of times square, it's definitely time to bring back the gallows for politicians. they could generate a lot of revenue selling front row seats to all the hangings..

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I feel bad for the Illinois taxpayers who live outside Chicago.
Too bad when the state needs level headed voters to turn out in big numbers they don't. The non-Chicago area areas of Illinois dropped the ball. Us level headed Chicagoans were counting on them to negate the retard vote in Chicago.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Xanathos---I stand corrected, and I'm looking forward to another follwup media report from the WSJ or elsewhere later this year.

I expect that such a report (or an editiorial, in the case of the WSJ) will show yet another 'unintended consequence' for yet how another 'soak the rich' scheme initiated by clueless politicians became yet another spectacular failure.
The Oregon income tax law was actually a voter initiative if I remember correctly. I was living in Oregon when it was passed, and it was one of the deciding factors for me leaving.

I still remember the radio commercials for the bill: "Passing this will improve the schools for our children, and blah blah blah", and my personal favorite (and I quote): "After all, the rich have so much, it's only fair that they give something back to us". And I'm sitting there thinking "Dude, you're ALREADY soaking me for 9% of my earnings because I had the audacity to be successful. That's not enough?"

So instead of them getting my 9% (while the "recipients" of society's donor/recipient philosophy paid almost nothing), they now get 0 as I moved to a state with no income tax at all :P. I mean hell, when your largest city is literally 10 minutes away from a state line into a state with no income tax, it's not all that difficult for people to up and move into it.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Conservatives solutions are far worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is akin to Conservatives who are willing to spend taxpayer money to "spread Democracy" in other parts of the world where we don't belong while this country perishes in an economic free fall.

How about the Conservative propensity to declare a "War or Terror" after lying to engage this country's resources, then ignoring the glaring problems here with the rise in street gangs, the rise in bigotry, and the rise in illegal immigration.

How about the Conservative tendency to be all too willing to dump trillions to help impoverished people in other countries across the globe to get their oil while ignoring the common practice of Conservatives in this country who discriminate and perpetuate racial inequities here?

Let's not forget with the Conservative whining about taxes, that under Bush, reduced taxes resulted in a sure road to another Depression, record unemployment, record deficits, record street gang activity, record illegal immigration, record gas prices, record utility bills, a housing crisis, mortgage crisis, record fees by credit card companies, predatory lending crisis, damn near 50 states in an economic free fall, record influx of foreign labor to displace a record number of qualified americans, a crumbling infrastructure, failures to invest in research fo diseases like cancer and alzheimer's, record compensation by corporate executives, record wall street abuses, health care crisis, so on and so forth.

Yes, you continue to complain about tax hikes while ignoring the glaring problems with Republican solutions.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 AM

401 posts, read 473,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Republicans - always looking for a handout. They want all the benefits of society without having to pay for them

Funny, I dont see anyone asking for any handouts. Do you?

Get a grip.

If it wasn't for higher earning republicans...the govenment would be broke.

No government=no welfare

I thank my contributors...do you?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 AM

91 posts, read 291,394 times
Well I heard on the 9 O'clock news that the bill is in danger of passing. The field reporter asked a congressman how many votes they have and he said "45 and we need 61 to pass the bill!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies