Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:24 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,858,701 times

Advertisements

I think we need to look at programs to promote smoking. Another smokers tax. What will the country do without the smokers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,935,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you'd rather cut essential infrastructure work over social entitlements ?
Libs sure do have their priorities in an odd order.

Business brings money into your state.
Do your social programs ?
I'm not a liberal nor republican but pro American, meaning for everyone and not just the few.

Imagine how many local business's would develop if there were not these monstrous corporations that control everything and their interest in how many millions the board of directors and CEO's can get away with.

Well, there were a lot more smaller business's until they were driven into bankrupty by shady practices like that of Walmart.

With more local business's, that are smaller, things get a bit more personal and you know your employers and their lives and care for their well being as well, rather than being another number to squeeze more productivity from to fatten your wallet.

So, I'm pro business, that helps the small time entrepreneur and local companies, but I'm also for the little people as well.

You can create a label if you wish on what that means if it helps, but I don't follow either party line, but rather what each member stands for.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,513,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And watch those middle class families pack up and leave for greener, less expensive pastures.
You'd think they would, but they don't. They've been saying what you are saying every time there is a tax increase.

They keep saying companies won't move to Chicago anymore due to the cost, yet Chicago has picked up Boeing from Seattle and Continental from Houston. Here in Houston, many people deluded themselves into believing that United would never move Continental to Chicago due to the cost, taxes etc. They'd most certainly move operations to Houston.

Chicago is a luxury item, so to speak. The politicians know the people will pay for this luxury. And as taxes go up along with the area's population, they are proven right time and time again.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM

91 posts, read 290,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
We could use some of those manufacturing businesses over here in Missouri. It would serve Illinois right if they moved here too!
Thats crazy you said that, Because two of the companies that I deliver two are moving to Missouri! As a truck driver I might have to move also! My services are always wanted anywhere!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,543,709 times
I've also read that United recently, or will soon, be relocating their HQ from a suburb of Chicago to downtown, right in the middle of 'the Loop', IIRC.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I think we need to look at programs to promote smoking. Another smokers tax. What will the country do without the smokers?
They're going after soda drinkers next.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 AM

37,754 posts, read 40,833,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Do what I do. When self-identified progressives in places like NJ, NY, MA, CA and WA, for examples, ask about living in a conservative state, I always suggest they seriously look into NC due to all of the "progress" that's occurred there due to the influx of people fleeing the aforementioned states.
NC has a huge influx of retirees from Florida based on migration patterns from the old census but many of the Floridians are halfbacks from NY and NJ, that is, they went to Florida then moved half way back to North Carolina. I don't recall if Illinois was part of a big North Carolina in-migration pattern of retirees. I do know:

"Nine states levy no income tax, according to the Tax Foundation, a research group in Washington. Those are Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington State, and Wyoming. Of those nine, all but one – Alaska – saw more people migrating in than out (within the 50 states) during the period from 2000 to 2008, according to research by the Empire Center for New York State Policy. Eight states, by contrast, saw significant outward migration – an amount equal to 4 percent or more of their population – during that time. And many of those states also happen to have higher-than average taxes. The eight states with big population outflows are California, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. The District of Columbia also saw heavy net migration outward."

Tax day 101: Are some states driving people out with high state taxes? - CSMonitor.com

Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,571,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is what happens when OVER HALF OF YOUR STATE'S BUDGET goes to paying for government worker pension plans.

Think about that: Over half of the money that state spends is to pay lifetime salaries to people not even working anymore.

All this rhetoric about how broke states are and how they all have to cut back and gouge all their basic services because they have no money, and nobody ever brings up the fact that if you simply do away with the outdated and obviously unsustainable pension plans, every state in this country would be well into the black, and money would be pouring from the rafters.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,571,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
HappyTexan----That so-called 'millionaires tax' was a disaster when the politicians in Maryland tried it last year.

The politicians in Oregon tried it recently, as the WSJ pointed out, and it was another spectacular failure.
Oregon PASSED the law screwing over the successful by making them pay 11% of their earnings to subsidize the hippies.

Washington is the state that recently tried passing one of those "we'll tax you if you're successful" things, and we shot it down with authority.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,987,544 times
The community organizers home state. I think. He claims so many.

But I digress.

Looks like DC is being run like Chicago.

To all you folks who wanted higher taxes, here's your chance!

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies