Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,058,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's trickle down from the marriage application in California.

Party A, and Party B.... It's so stupid. The words Male and Female, He and She, His and Hers, offends some people so much they go to the far degree of banishing gender specific terms.

If it offends 10,000 people out of 310,000,000 it's time to get rid of it because it's Offensive to a select few.

Pathetic.

Just another thing "sanitized for your protection" from the government.

Except this isn't about offending anyone.

The only people this is offending is the ones with the stubborn idiotic opinion that this is anything but just making government forms more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,485,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Except this isn't about offending anyone.

The only people this is offending is the ones with the stubborn idiotic opinion that this is anything but just making government forms more efficient.
It has nothing to do with efficiency. It's got everything to do with someone's feelings being hurt because society doesn't accommodate their sensibilities and gender perception on a government application form.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,449,508 times
Quote:
I'm not seeing how this is losing ANYTHING.

It's just a passport.

It's not like we're all being forced to being referred to as parent 1/parent 2 instead of mom/dad in every single case.

This is just an idiotic thing to get upset about.

You are right it is just a passport. For now. I am not upset at all, I simply could see a posters concerns over it. Nothing more. somehow that has made me a bigot and selfish. Who knew.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,058,563 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with efficiency. It's got everything to do with someone's feelings being hurt because society doesn't accommodate their sensibilities and gender perception on a government application form.
Prove that that's the reason behind the change.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,192,028 times
Quote:
The parents name doesn't appear anywhere on a United States Passport.

The application, yes, but not the actual document.
The point still stands. The female would have to be listed as a "father" or just not listed at all.

Quote:
It's trickle down from the marriage application in California.

Party A, and Party B.... It's so stupid. The words Male and Female, He and She, His and Hers, offends some people so much they go to the far degree of banishing gender specific terms.

If it offends 10,000 people out of 310,000,000 it's time to get rid of it because it's Offensive to a select few.

Pathetic.

Just another thing "sanitized for your protection" from the government.
*sigh* Mother/Father offends nobody. It's that the square of "mother/father" doesn't fit into the circle representing all family units. Instead of having a form for each family unit, one form void of gender roles is printed to fill that hole.

Why are people so offended by the term "Parent"?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
parent is interchangeable with both a father and a mother. a parent can be of either sex. seems like a very silly thing to worry about having to say parent and not mom, you are a parent period
You are correct but to many being a "mother" is special and has a deeper meaning. I know I will get slammed for this but I feel that a mother has a deeper connect to her child then the father. She carries that child in her body, is solely responsible for it's living or dying, that creates a bond that a father can not understand. So no I am not just a parent, I am a mother and to me that is as special a title that has deep meaning.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,652,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You are correct but to many being a "mother" is special and has a deeper meaning. I know I will get slammed for this but I feel that a mother has a deeper connect to her child then the father. She carries that child in her body, is solely responsible for it's living or dying, that creates a bond that a father can not understand. So no I am not just a parent, I am a mother and to me that is as special a title that has deep meaning.
Well if you ever have to fill out that form..cross out Parent1 and write in "Mother".

I never fill in the Race box..I check "other" and write in "American"..I'm sure it must stump them

Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
So your lesbian cousin is perfectly fine with the fact that previously, she or her partner would had to have been listed as a "father" or flat out omitted from being on her child's passport?

Actually, it's a step in the direction of "All family units are welcome".

She could careless because as she puts it. "I don't expect the world to change for me". It matters not to her what people call her she is secure enough in herself and her relationship and her way of life that she does not need any "special" treatment. She is a pretty amazing woman who I look up to and my children love. I have ZERO issue with gays, I wish they could marry and did not have the issues in society that they do. My battle is not with them. I understand why it is being changed but I don't have to like it. I don't have to agree with it but I understand it. What I find interesting is why no one can see why some do not want it changed.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,192,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
And that matters on a passport form, how?

You are a parent. I am a parent. Langlen is a parent.

Anyone who raises a child is a parent. Congratulations. All families are included.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.

That's what people who like to sensationalize minor issues like this may believe, but all this is is a government agency coming up with an efficient way to cover all the parenting variables.

Not making it wrong to call someone a mom or dad.

Ok so you say it is not does that make it so? Of course it does not. Just like me saying it is a step in that direction makes it so. Truth is neither of us know where it will lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies