Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM

38,437 posts, read 22,366,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
parent is interchangeable with both a father and a mother. a parent can be of either sex. seems like a very silly thing to worry about having to say parent and not mom, you are a parent period
Soon enough the PC crowd will find that saying girl, boy, man or woman is sexist and exclusionary. 'Person" will be the preferred gender neutral description, better start using it so as not to offend someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,061,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Soon enough the PC crowd will find that saying girl, boy, man or woman is sexist and exclusionary. 'Person" will be the preferred gender neutral description, better start using it so as not to offend someone.
Pretty soon we'll be tapdancing on mars while toasting each other with Lomin Ale.

What that has to do with the topic, I don't know. But since you were bringing up things that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, I figured I'd join in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Brilliant View Post
Seriously.

I mean, is the woman a mother? Yes.
Can she be called a parent? Yes.
Does being called a parent mean she is no longer a mother? No.
In fact, the definition of mother is literally nothing more than "A female parent".
It's rather difficult to have your status as X affected by being called Y when X and Y are the same thing.

Heck, I'd like to be called Parent 1. Then I'd be all "HA! I'M NUMBER ONE!"
But you are Mister Brilliant.

19,226 posts, read 15,358,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's trickle down from the marriage application in California.

Party A, and Party B.... It's so stupid. The words Male and Female, He and She, His and Hers, offends some people so much they go to the far degree of banishing gender specific terms.

If it offends 10,000 people out of 310,000,000 it's time to get rid of it because it's Offensive to a select few.

Pathetic.

Just another thing "sanitized for your protection" from the government.
Depersonalized and dehumanized right down to comrade.

A number of the State.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,914,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like I posted earlier..folks shouldn't get upset til they see the 20th government form changed, but by then it will be too late.

Ha on the birth certificate though; I don't think they can really do much to change Mother/Father on that form.
Sure .. give them an inch and they think they've got 9

Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM

195 posts, read 186,766 times
Quote:
Slippery Slope fallacy much there? Perhaps you could provide some sort of logical basis for your comments as it seems like little more than scare tactics in opposition of change that allows for more types of familial units to feel at ease.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Pretty soon we'll be tapdancing on mars while toasting each other with Lomin Ale.

What that has to do with the topic, I don't know. But since you were bringing up things that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, I figured I'd join in.
It is prescient. This may not seem like much to those of you who don't know how the PC crowd works. The militant gays and retarded PC types hate gender oriented descriptions, they want to eliminate them all and make everything gender neutral. For example, one day they suddenly decided stewardess was sexist and demeaning, and the slow and steady march to gender neutrality has now decided that we need parent #1.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,451,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
That is Fallacious reasoning though, you are falling prey to Appeal to Emotion Fallacy in apparently implying that because the term holds meaning or illicits emotional response from you that said emotional response is justification.
No I simply stated my feels and some did not like that. I stated how I felt about the issue and about the term "mother", so did not like that. So be it. They have their opinion and I have mine.

Quote:
You could well say that you dislike what is being done, but to say it is inherently wrong or unfair is not true from a strictly logical and objective standpoint.
Pretty sure I did not say it was wrong. If I did not what I meant. I said understand it but did not have to agree with it.

Quote:
Again this is a fallacious statement though, you are succumbing to Hasty Generalization Fallacy in using a single sample and apparently implying it is representative of the whole. Just because someone you know does not find the lack of gender neutral terms unfair or offensive does not mean that all or even the majority feel the same way.

Likewise your comments about what it would lead to is Slippery Slope fallacy... there is no logical reasoning or proof to support it, just a disjointed and extreme sequence of possibilities leading to an equally extreme end result.

Logically speaking this measure and change to forms is to prevent segregation or isolation of groups. The use of Gender neutral terms ensures that the phrasing can not be exclusive to any given group and thus can not offend or make uncomfortable any specific type of family unit. Neutral phrasing may not be what some would like to see, but as it is quite neutral it also is not what one could deem offensive and thus is a far safer stance to take on official forms.

All your opinion. Neither of us knows what will come in the future or what other changes may be made. I simply stated what I felt about the issue and why I felt as I did.

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
Slippery Slope fallacy much there? Perhaps you could provide some sort of logical basis for your comments as it seems like little more than scare tactics in opposition of change that allows for more types of familial units to feel at ease.
Why just look at DHS and how far they have come in the name of protecting you if you want to see an example.

It's a form for pete's sake that once handed in is not seen again..it's not like a permanent tatto on their forehead of "Mother" or "Parent1" that they have to live with the rest of their lives.

8,346 posts, read 7,061,020 times
Quote:
It is prescient.
It's be precedent if it had anything to do with the reasoning behind it.

Nobody got butthurt over the forms, they just wanted to cut down on costs.

Now people are all BAAWWWWWWWWWWW'ing that they're making a government system more efficient and cutting down costs.

I thought that's what people wanted?

Guess Americans are too dense to know exactly what they want. If it has anything to do with teh homosex or anything not part of the "family values", it's automatically wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies