Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Reputation: 2874

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
Again... fallacy is not proof, Fallacy is not logic, by definition Fallacy is in fact a flawed representation of evidence.

Even if you focus completely on the gay rights angle... they are still either male or female and take no offense at those terms, while one could infer that they would feel excluded by the inability to list their partners in a proper respective term on forms such as the one changed. Meanwhile the term Parent is interchangeable with Father or Mother and so outside personal preference (which would fall under appeal to emotion fallacy anyway) there is no logical reason why it should be seen as a problem.
Apparently we can't tell the future

SO WE NEED TO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING

Else we may make society crumble

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
thanks for describing the essence of political correctness, when a small minority find something to make them feel uneasy, well, we need to affect the vast majority and change whatever "it" is to appease the small minority of people who live to be offended.
You apparently missed it the first time:

Prove that's the intent behind this.

And while you're at it:

Prove this affects anyone negatively in such a matter that we need to be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
Again... fallacy is not proof, Fallacy is not logic, by definition Fallacy is in fact a flawed representation of evidence.

Even if you focus completely on the gay rights angle... they are still either male or female and take no offense at those terms, while one could infer that they would feel excluded by the inability to list their partners in a proper respective term on forms such as the one changed. Meanwhile the term Parent is interchangeable with Father or Mother and so outside personal preference (which would fall under appeal to emotion fallacy anyway) there is no logical reason why it should be seen as a problem.
They are free to cross out Mother/Father and write in Mother/Mother or Father/Father. I don't see the big deal and the need to pacify extremely sensitive groups. It's a waste of time and money. Now all those forms need to be redone to keep the few "happy" about filling in their name.

Either they are upset enough that they asked for this or they are not.
No one group will be happy because it excludes the other group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Reputation: 13801
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I meant the paperwork for contact info that you fill out at the beginning of the year. It never said Mother?father always Parent/guardian. Doesn't make me feel like any less of a mother
Sometimes there is only one parent, but you are still your daughter's mother... ooops child #2's parent #1, or whatever the least offensive gender neutral term is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
 
75 posts, read 60,393 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
Even if you focus completely on the gay rights angle... they are still either male or female and take no offense at those terms, while one could infer that they would feel excluded by the inability to list their partners in a proper respective term on forms such as the one changed. Meanwhile the term Parent is interchangeable with Father or Mother and so outside personal preference (which would fall under appeal to emotion fallacy anyway) there is no logical reason why it should be seen as a problem.
Yep.
As far as exclusion goes, Mother/Father is the only one that excludes anybody. Parent/Parent is the most inclusive, as parents of any gender can fit the bill.
I personally think it's more rude to exclude these people than it ever would be to call a parent a parent instead of their gender-specific term.
I'm perfectly fine with being called a parent or a spouse, rather than a father or a husband. Especially on forms where it doesn't matter for anything except stating my relationship to the other. Heck, I'm pretty sure my tax forms already refer to me as spouse as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Reputation: 4957
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are free to cross out Mother/Father and write in Mother/Mother or Father/Father. I don't see the big deal and the need to pacify extremely sensitive groups. It's a waste of time and money. Now all those forms need to be redone to keep the few "happy" about filling in their name.

Either they are upset enough that they asked for this or they are not.
No one group will be happy because it excludes the other group.
Actually, alterations to a federal document in such manner would most likely result in it becoming invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sometimes there is only one parent, but you are still your daughter's mother...
Which is exactly why the controversy over this is idiotic.

This doesn't denigrate anyone.

SHe's still mommy, it's just streamlining paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Reputation: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sometimes there is only one parent, but you are still your daughter's mother... ooops child #2's parent #1, or whatever the least offensive gender neutral term is.
son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Brilliant View Post
Heck, I'm pretty sure my tax forms already refer to me as spouse as it is.
I would say that's how they do things up in Canadianland, but I'm rather sure on my tax form I'm simply referred to as "spouse".

So you silly Canadians aren't that much different in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Reputation: 6744
Argument at the passport office. 'ok, which one of you is parent #1?' One says,'I'm #1', the other says 'no you aren't, I'm #1'. Who decides who is #1? Diversity neutral gone totally stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top