Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
 
75 posts, read 60,440 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
thanks for describing the essence of political correctness, when a small minority find something to make them feel uneasy, well, we need to affect the vast majority and change whatever "it" is to appease the small minority of people who live to be offended.
Who is it affecting, though?
If you answer anybody except "Nobody", then you're wrong.
You will always be the parent of your child. No matter whether someone calls you mother, father, or simply parent. It doesn't affect your status at all.
A parent is a parent.
I'm still the husband of my wife even if my tax forms call me her spouse, so why would I no longer be the father of my child if my passport says I'm a parent?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
195 posts, read 186,557 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
All your opinion. Neither of us knows what will come in the future or what other changes may be made. I simply stated what I felt about the issue and why I felt as I did.
Logic is not by definition opinion. If I had said that I felt the terms were better that would be opinion... but I said that a neutral term can not be exclusive and thus from an officiating standpoint is a safer choice. That is not opinion as a neutral term by definition is not exclusive... that is a statement of fact followed by logical inference based on the fact that the lack of exclusion is safer than a term that allows exclusion and thus is less likely to cause offense that can be pursued in an official sense.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Argument at the passport office. 'ok, which one of you is parent #1?' One says,'I'm #1', the other says 'no you aren't, I'm #1'. Who decides who is #1? Diversity neutral gone totally stupid.
If that's all we have to worry about, then I'm cool with it.

Because that's not a problem at all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Reputation: 8153
OMG, I've never seen so much whining over nothing!

maja, does the new passport forms affect YOUR own personal life in a negative way?

doe it affect it in a positive way?

does it affect it at all?

if you can't answer yes to any of these questions, why whine and moan about it?

for people whose families don't fall into the too neat definition of "mother/father" (and as mentioned countless times before, it isn't just gay families, but families where children are being raised by step-parents, relatives, etc), this affects THEM. stop worrying about yourself b/c it has nothing to do w/ you and doesn't affect you one bit. it's about THEM, the families this does affect, the families who will now have an easier time filing such forms out b/c they are now counted for.

people seriously, stop getting your panties in a bunch. the gov't isn't barging into your homes, holding your children at gunpoint, and forcing them to call you "parent 1" instead of "mommy"! you're still mommy to the person/people that count, who gives a f- what a form says
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Reputation: 13811
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are free to cross out Mother/Father and write in Mother/Mother or Father/Father. I don't see the big deal and the need to pacify extremely sensitive groups. It's a waste of time and money. Now all those forms need to be redone to keep the few "happy" about filling in their name.

Either they are upset enough that they asked for this or they are not.
No one group will be happy because it excludes the other group.
They never seem to have my exact racial preference description in those government forms, and it really makes me uneasy, and I feel lost and out of place. But I just check the box whatever is the closest description, and live with it. no drama, no calls from me for the PC police to change everything to soothe my tender sensibilities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Argument at the passport office. 'ok, which one of you is parent #1?' One says,'I'm #1', the other says 'no you aren't, I'm #1'. Who decides who is #1? Diversity neutral gone totally stupid.
Then what about Parent #3 and Parent #4 if they are both divorced and remarried ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
 
75 posts, read 60,440 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Actually, alterations to a federal document in such manner would most likely result in it becoming invalid.
Apart from this, making it Parent/Parent doesn't exclude Mother/Father couples. Because they're still the Mother and Father.
Mother/Father excludes same-sex couples. Parent/Parent doesn't exclude anyone.
I forget, is it a commonly-stated American principle to exclude many people based on non-issues? I could've sworn that most of the time, I see a lot of cries of freedom regarding America. Wouldn't it be restricting freedom to exclude same-sex couples from being listed as parents on a passport?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They never seem to have my exact racial preference description in those government forms, and it really makes me uneasy, and I feel lost and out of place. But I just check the box whatever is the closest description, and live with it. no drama, no calls from me for the PC police to change everything to soothe my tender sensibilities.
Check "other" and write in "American".
That's what I do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
OMG, I've never seen so much whining over nothing!

maja, does the new passport forms affect YOUR own personal life in a negative way?

doe it affect it in a positive way?

does it affect it at all?

if you can't answer yes to any of these questions, why whine and moan about it?

for people whose families don't fall into the too neat definition of "mother/father" (and as mentioned countless times before, it isn't just gay families, but families where children are being raised by step-parents, relatives, etc), this affects THEM. stop worrying about yourself b/c it has nothing to do w/ you and doesn't affect you one bit. it's about THEM, the families this does affect, the families who will now have an easier time filing such forms out b/c they are now counted for.

people seriously, stop getting your panties in a bunch. the gov't isn't barging into your homes, holding your children at gunpoint, and forcing them to call you "parent 1" instead of "mommy"! you're still mommy to the person/people that count, who gives a f- what a form says

THis is a part of the gay agenda.

Anyone who says otherwise is apparently lying.

Well, according to posters in this thread, it seems.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Reputation: 13811
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then what about Parent #3 and Parent #4 if they are both divorced and remarried ?
What happens if the parents divorce, does parent #2 have to go get a new passport to identify them as the new #1?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top