Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM

195 posts, read 186,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Your "logic" does not equate to facts. Nor does mine. Just because you feel your logic makes more sense then mine does not mean it is is fact. I am unsure how people can say we need to understand the feelings of those that support this but no one will even attempt to understand the feelings of those that do not.

As I said before I really have no dog in the fight, I simply understood what another poster was trying to say and stated that.

People need to face the fact that things will not always be "all inclusive". I love football but I am very aware I could never play on a NFL team. Like it or not it is a male sport and I am fine with that. We will never have an "all inclusive" in every area. People need to get over it.
because emotion has nothing to do with logic. A statement that is purely logical does not rely on emotion to justify it... in fact use of emotion to justify a defense or debate is as I mentioned earlier fallacious and thus flawed presentation of evidence.

If a term is inclusive... it is inclusive. By being inclusive it can not exclude a given group or paring. From a standpoint of pleasing the largest possible percentage of constituents on either side of the moral fence... it is thus more logical to use an inclusive phrasing that can include both groups.

As far as your comments attempting to claim my comments thus far are opinion rather than simple logic... allow me to clarify

Personally I feel that both sides need to complain is rather childish. One side will claim the change is catering to the other, while the other will claim the same change is an attempt to placate them to forestall focusing on other issues. Neither side will be satisfied in the end and so all the ranting of either group is in the end rather pointless.

It is why I avoid using personal preference, belief, or feelings when I present a point... pure logic can be defended based on semantics, definition, usage, and logical process and thus is a far more efficient course for debate.

Your use of Ad Hominem to claim logical presentation is only personal opinion and thus no more valid that your comments... is also ironically use of fallacy as it attacks the individual rather than what was said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
You keep saying that this is about PC.

Yet you've never proven it.

You might wanna do that.
The government never says they do something due to PC.
In the article the government spokesperson actually denies that PC had anything to do with the decision. She said it was due to medical reproductive advances.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,066,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the article the government spokesperson actually denies that PC had anything to do with the decision. She said it was due to medical reproductive advances.
Exactly.

So, claiming something is done due to PC when it's not, is rather ignorant.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,305,604 times
Quote:
No..scrap the two days...just one day "Parent" day now.
Or that...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM

195 posts, read 186,866 times
Quote:
But that means simply claiming it is due to PC concerns... is Assertion Fallacy, by definition a flawed presentation of logic or evidence.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,455,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Brilliant View Post
So let me guess this straight. You're of the school of thought that nobody should expect forms to be designed in a given way just so that it suits them, correct?
No I did not say that but I do think we go overboard with some thing trying to include every possible aspect.

Quote:
So... why do you think the form should be unchanged just because it suits you?
Who said that? I said I understood why they were changing it but I also understand why some are upset. My first response to this thread was this.

Quote:
LMAO!!!! I think it is hysterical. It is like "Thing One" and " Thing Two". LMAO sorry. Serious topic but it just sounds so dumb. I understand what they are trying to do but they should just use something like Parent(s) for both sections.
I simply said that I understood why some where upset and I was trying to explain that. Problem is that some can only see what they want and to hell with anyone else. I can see both sides and understand both sides.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,750,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You are correct but to many being a "mother" is special and has a deeper meaning. I know I will get slammed for this but I feel that a mother has a deeper connect to her child then the father. She carries that child in her body, is solely responsible for it's living or dying, that creates a bond that a father can not understand. So no I am not just a parent, I am a mother and to me that is as special a title that has deep meaning.
Okay, so the next time you filled out a passport application, cross out "parent" and replace it with "mother".

I'm astonished by the responses to this. Some of you act as if your entire world is collapsing around you because of a change on the U.S. Passport application.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,370,334 times
Quote:
I worked at a lab peopled by State babies.

They are about to go biological with their State babies.

A new building will soon be housing their Chromo Zone.

See brave new world.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Exactly.

So, claiming something is done due to PC when it's not, is rather ignorant.
And claiming it's due to reproductive advances is what ???
Can 2 guys have a baby ?
Can 2 women have a baby ?
Can a single parent have a baby ?

NO..it takes an egg and sperm..female +male, mother + father.

My opinion stands..it's a PC move to keep certain groups happy.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,066,363 times
Quote:
And claiming it's due to reproductive advances is what ???
Can 2 guys have a baby ?
Can 2 women have a baby ?
Can a single parent have a baby ?
Yes to all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies