Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,456,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
And your friend can check off "OTHER".

Is there an "OTHER" on the passport form for a second mother or father in such a way that does not require the person to alter the originating document?
But what if I want to be seen as "mother" or "father" should I have to give that up?

Why is one side automatically right and the other automatically wrong? And why is one side automatically given the consideration while the other is not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,069,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
But what if I want to be seen as "mother" or "father" should I have to give that up?
No, because you're still seen as a mother.

No passport form will change that.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,791,657 times
The mission of the group that has been lobbying for this for several years.
It's not about streamlining forms. It's about social justice.

"Family Equality Council works to ensure equality for LGBT families by building community, changing hearts and minds, and advancing social justice for all families."

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,399,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
because from a legal angle... a neutral term can be termed inclusive while a specific one can be termed exclusive. Thus from an efficiency and legality standpoint the neutral term is preferred as it is far less likely to cause any sort of offense. Ironically looking at this thread it is those who do not want it changed that seem most offended... meaning your comment about keeping some "happy" can just as easily be applied to those against such a simple and neutral change.

From a Data entry sense, simplification reduces work load and thus cost... from a legal standpoint, neutral terms are less likely to cause exclusion and thus legal suits based on segregation or personal offense.... from an efficiency standpoint inclusive terms prevent or reduce the need for manual review after the fact.

Simply put there are several logical reasons why the change is productive... so from a purely logical and objective standpoint there is nothing wrong with the change.
BOO! too much common sense! I demand you be more reactionary and nonsensical about this topic ASAP!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,760,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
People need to face the fact that things will not always be "all inclusive". I love football but I am very aware I could never play on a NFL team. Like it or not it is a male sport and I am fine with that. We will never have an "all inclusive" in every area. People need to get over it.
But this is a case where there's no harm done to anyone except those with ridiculous imaginations, who somehow think that calling a mother a "parent" is going to bring the downfall of American society.

Get over it, indeed.

195 posts, read 186,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And claiming it's due to reproductive advances is what ???
Can 2 guys have a baby ?
Can 2 women have a baby ?
Can a single parent have a baby ?
Actually thanks to the medical advances in storage, donation of sperm and eggs, and fertility clinics.... all of the above are viable scenarios though admittedly one scenario would require a surrogate... but due to fertility issues or personal circumstance a male and female couple could just as easily require a surrogate.

8,346 posts, read 7,069,059 times
Quote:
The mission of the group that has been lobbying for this for several years.

"Family Equality Council works to ensure equality for LGBT families by building community, changing hearts and minds, and advancing social justice for all families."
You know what other group is awesome?

The Protomen.

Advocating freedom for all humans everywhere from the Wily menance.

Off topic convo is awesome.

10,180 posts, read 10,312,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Here's that whole "mountains out of molehills" thing comin' to light again.
Then quit your digging.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,760,000 times
Quote:
My opinion stands..it's a PC move to keep certain groups happy.
"Certain groups"? Yeah, the groups that believe in treating everyone as equally as possible, especially when doing so will cause harm to no one.

I bet at least half of the complainers have never even owned a passport.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

195 posts, read 186,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
BOO! too much common sense! I demand you be more reactionary and nonsensical about this topic ASAP!
Lol sadly I fear I can not in good conscious acquiesce to your request... I find being calm and logical keeps me out of way more trouble than acting on impulse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies