Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM

18,544 posts, read 19,170,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
But why should I have to have it changed? Why are my feelings on being called mother on the form not taken into consideration?
Quote:
Your opinion. If it is so ridiculous then why does it have to be changed?

if this was still 1950 then you wouldn't have to change it. that was a world where parents mostly stayed married, families were 90% mom and dad. there were rarely single parents and gays for the most part were in the closet and not raising families. so the standard mother father box to check does not apply to thousands upon thousands of people that live in today's world. thats why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,398,070 times
Quote:
But why should I have to have it changed? Why are my feelings on being called mother on the form not taken into consideration?
Me, me, me, me, me. care to attempt to think of the bigger picture and not just worry about your feelings here? care to sit down and realize how many people likely breathed a sigh of relief and happiness that this changed was made b/c it took a huge burden off their chest and made at least this portion of their lives a bit easier? are you so willing to disregard these people to suit your own somewhat ridiculous need for the government to see you as a "mother" and not just a "parent" (which, guess what? you ARE A PARENT!!)?

the selfishness in this thread astounds me....

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM

75 posts, read 60,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I'm not referred to "THE GRAND OVERLORD OF THE KITCHEN, SUPER COOKING DAD" on every form, but I ain't gonna cry about it. I actually have skin that's not as thin as rice paper.
brb lobbying for changes

:3

5,094 posts, read 5,456,043 times
Quote:
You can mock my point of view as much as you want.

I don't throw stones unless I can take 'em.

But the idiotic outrage on this grain of sand in the desert that is the world is quite overblown.

No I won't mock your POV because it adds nothing to the discussion which is what we are suppose to be having.

86,052 posts, read 84,779,903 times
Quote:
Oh it won't but many on here are saying "what is the big deal" well if it is not a big deal why does it have to be changed?

I really could careless. I have my passport as do my kids so whatever but if the "no big deal" argument works for them it works for those that think it is dumb to change it also.
Well it is or was a big deal to some group as they spent years lobbying for the change.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,963 times
As for the whole parent 1 and parent 2 thing I hope it spreads to other areas of the goverment. Let us take a look at parent divorces shall we. Now, even tho they are not suppose to most judges sympathize with the mother correct? Well, if they were to refer to parent without the judge knowing of the clients gender(Let us assume they only have lawyers present and written testiments) he is able to make a fair or unbiased settlement.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,509,144 times
Quote:
Oh it won't but many on here are saying "what is the big deal" well if it is not a big deal why does it have to be changed?

I really could careless. I have my passport as do my kids so whatever but if the "no big deal" argument works for them it works for those that think it is dumb to change it also.
It wasn't a big deal to me when it said "Mother" and "Father" either. And I'm lesbian, so it affected me directly when filling out forms.

I still never know whether to put "Married" or "Single" on forms either because my marriage counts in some states but not others, but I don't let myself get all worked up about it either.

It is what it is.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,456,043 times
Quote:
Because you're insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, but the mere fact that there are more parenting variables than Mother/Father is more significant than a few people BAWWWing that on paper they're n ot specifically referred to as they want to be.

I'm not referred to "THE GRAND OVERLORD OF THE KITCHEN, SUPER COOKING DAD" on every form, but I ain't gonna cry about it. I actually have skin that's not as thin as rice paper.

Why am I insignificant but the ones that want it changed are not? Why are they any more important then I am? Does it at the end of the day change my world? No but why is any one group more important then another.

And I am not "cryin" about anything I am simply playing devils advocate and looking at it from another POV.

19,226 posts, read 15,374,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

How is "parent" an impersonal or inhuman term? Last time I checked, only living things could be parents. Though I have to admit it'd be kind of cool if I could go to my toaster for advice or money.
Apparent to you is a parent of no biological connection.

The Daisy Hill Puppy farm is a Government hatchery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E8zPSgaMfQ

195 posts, read 186,905 times
Quote:
And why does any other group deserve what they want but others do not. Please tell me what groups are allowed to make demands and which ones are not.
The other group is not demanding an honorific at all... they are content with a neutral term that can apply just as well to both. Only the camp that does not want it changed would be demanding additional honorifics beyond the basic term of parent.

A mother is still a parent, a father is still a parent, so a mother and father are parents.... and likewise a father and father or mother and mother are parents.

No one outside those against the change is thus technically demanding any additional or specific honorific at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies