Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times

Advertisements

PORT ANGELES, Washington • Christian Sanchez thought he was one of the good guys, a veteran U.S. border patrol agent stopping foreign criminals and terrorists from sneaking onto American soil. Two years ago, he accepted a transfer from southern California to this small blue-collar city. “The Port Angeles station was described as one of the exciting new places to be,” he recalls.

Not so, he discovered. Port Angeles is no San Diego, his former bailiwick. Perched on the edge of the remote Olympic Peninsula, on the cold Strait of Juan de Fuca, its closest neighbour is Victoria, B.C., not widely known as a terrorism launchpad. Marijuana smugglers occasionally drift across the strait, but the U.S. Coast Guard takes care of them. Mr. Sanchez found himself with little to do but drive up and down the peninsula in his border patrol vehicle, for 10 hours at a time, “wasting gasoline” and blowing taxpayers’ dollars. Dozens of other border agents in Port Angeles do the same, he claims. They have no casework, he says. Their border station is “a black hole.” And yet it’s expanding; Mr. Sanchez wonders why. He’s not alone. Some residents on the peninsula say border patrol agents are just being used to flush out illegal migrants, men and women working in local forests and fields.

source and rest of the story @: Bordering on paranoid: Inside the U.S/Canada divide near Victoria | News | National Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Yes I'd like to know why we are increasing our border patrol presence in the NORTH, when those agents would be far far far more useful along our porous southern border

Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes I'd like to know why we are increasing our border patrol presence in the NORTH, when those agents would be far far far more useful along our porous southern border
yeah he even admits this and went to the Federal Govronent with it also:

"Two weeks ago, Mr. Sanchez blew the whistle, on his own station and on the Department of Homeland Security, the federal department that oversees U.S. customs, border protection and border patrol. The disgruntled border patrol agent appeared before a panel of U.S. congressmen in Washington, D.C., and alleged that he and his fellow officers in Port Angeles are spinning their wheels and wasting money in the name of national security, in an environment where few, if any, real threats exist. He calls the situation “a betrayal of taxpayers” in these hard times.

“It’s shameful for me to admit that we, as men, have no purpose [in Port Angeles],” Mr. Sanchez told the congressmen, members of a bipartisan caucus that examines transparency issues. “I could not stop denying it to myself. There was no work to be done.”

Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah he even admits this and went to the Federal Govronent with it also:

"Two weeks ago, Mr. Sanchez blew the whistle, on his own station and on the Department of Homeland Security, the federal department that oversees U.S. customs, border protection and border patrol. The disgruntled border patrol agent appeared before a panel of U.S. congressmen in Washington, D.C., and alleged that he and his fellow officers in Port Angeles are spinning their wheels and wasting money in the name of national security, in an environment where few, if any, real threats exist. He calls the situation “a betrayal of taxpayers” in these hard times.

“It’s shameful for me to admit that we, as men, have no purpose [in Port Angeles],” Mr. Sanchez told the congressmen, members of a bipartisan caucus that examines transparency issues. “I could not stop denying it to myself. There was no work to be done.”
Yeah I read the whole article. But hey, this is what is expected of Big Sis. Ignore the problems on the southern border and let as many Mexicans in as possible. They KNOW it would make logical sense to staff the southern border more, but Big Sis, Holder, and Obama are all in the back pocket of the illegal alien racket so, what do we expect from this boondoggle? If they staffed the southern border more, I'm sure you'd see President Calderón raising a big stink in Washington through his ambassador

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Big build up along the high line in Montana too with regard to the border patrol ..

Must be trying to protect Canada from all of the illegal aliens that are over-running our country .. or .. when it all finally hits the fan, to prevent those of us with the means from fleeing to Canada

Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Big build up along the high line in Montana too with regard to the border patrol ..

Must be trying to protect Canada from all of the illegal aliens that are over-running our country .. or .. when it all finally hits the fan, to prevent those of us with the means from fleeing to Canada
I think we can make room for our American friends and allies if $hit does hit the fan... we are after all best friends, great next door neighbors and long time allies... We got your back up here in the north

Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
I don't know. People have been saying the northern border is extremely 'porous' for years.

An article from Newsmax (!) from 2005:
U.S.-Canada Border Shockingly Insecure

And, look, here, even Michelle Malkin says so, so, it must be true:

Michelle Malkin » Canada’s lax border: Sharron Angle is right

Love the picture accompanying this article:

""Only 32 miles of the nearly 4,000-mile U.S.-Canadian border have 'an acceptable level of security," the Buffalo News reports."

The U.S.-Canadian Border Is Now .08 Percent Secure! -- Daily Intel

So, this administration finally does something about it, and now it's too much 'protection?'
There really is no pleasing some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies