Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Apparently, Bill O’Reilly has never heard of the moon. In a debate Tuesday with Dave Silverman, head of the American Atheist group behind this, the Fox host tried to prove the existence of God by citing the unknowable mysteries of the tides. “I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion,” he told Silverman. “Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.” . . .
I saw the show and you totally missed the point that most would get.
Yet another (yawn) FOX News bashing thread. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
I like bill O'reilly, but he's a very religious guy and like all very religious people he believes "God" is the explanation for everything we can't explain yet. Oh well, most of the time he's sensible.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I like bill O'reilly, but he's a very religious guy and like all very religious people he believes "God" is the explanation for everything we can't explain yet. Oh well, most of the time he's sensible.
I guess unlike nonreligous guys who don't use God for everything we can't explain yet?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Apparently, Bill O’Reilly has never heard of the moon. In a debate Tuesday with Dave Silverman, head of the American Atheist group behind this, the Fox host tried to prove the existence of God by citing the unknowable mysteries of the tides. “I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion,” he told Silverman. “Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.”
Bill O'Reilly on Science: You Can't Explain the Tides - O'Reilly flubs science in debate with man behind atheist billboards

I've been looking for a reason to use this emoticon;

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Well, yeah. That's called God of the gaps. Every time science cannot explain things right now, or to his satisfaction, it's god. If we relied on that modern science, medicine, physics, chemistry would never have existed. Haven't you ever heard of "If god meant us to fly, he would have given us wings"?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
PS - Every Christian fisherman I know, KNOWS why the tides come in or go out!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Apparently, Bill O’Reilly has never heard of the moon. In a debate Tuesday with Dave Silverman, head of the American Atheist group behind this, the Fox host tried to prove the existence of God by citing the unknowable mysteries of the tides. “I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion,” he told Silverman. “Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.”
Bill O'Reilly on Science: You Can't Explain the Tides - O'Reilly flubs science in debate with man behind atheist billboards

If memory serves, Billy O went to parochial schools. They probably didn't have science classes in the 50s.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Y'know, I'd love to hear what O'Reilly's point was, because he sure came across like a buffoon. Care to share?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Yet another (yawn) FOX News bashing thread. lol.
I got the point loud and clear. O'Reilly never heard of gravity.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:

Here is my question. Do you believe we will ever be able to explain everything? Do you think we will ever be able to explain how something could have been created out of nothing? Because if we do, that would mean that we could potentially create more something out of nothing. And being that the universe is about 13 billion years old? And something has only been created out of nothing once ever, and not just a small amount of matter, but massive quantities of matter, an unbelievable amount of matter.

I personally don't believe humans will ever be able to answer such a question. Regardless of the scientific breakthroughs we come up with. I think the law of the conservation of mass will never be broken(as it has not been broken since before the big bang, and only once).

Secondly, if you understand how time dillation works. It seems practically impossible that humans will ever really leave Earth and go any distance. If they did, everything they knew would be gone, as time would seemingly fly by for everyone other than you, and the world you would return to would be nothing like the world you left.

There aren't going to be colonies on mars or anywhere else in our solar system. The planets have too little mass(or too much mass), and cannot support an atmosphere. Your body has adjusted to life on Earth. If you were to live on Mars, you would become too weak to ever return to Earth. And even if you could, radio signals can only travel at the speed of light, which means that transmissions to and from anywhere other than Earth would take minutes or hours to reach their destination, even in our solar system.

Look around you, this is all you will ever have. This one little insignificant planet. Make the best of it, and don't ruin it.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-07-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies