Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?
Yes, they need to see it and I hope it reduces the number of abortions 38 24.68%
No, I don't think it would make a difference in the number of abortions 7 4.55%
No, I don't want gov't interfering in this area or I support the right to choice 104 67.53%
Maybe/I don't care 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

I think they definitely should be required to have an ultrasound before abortion. This does allow the woman to make a more educated choice doesn't it? I am pro-life and conservative but I would agree with the ultrasound being free. Rather have my tax dollars go toward this than supporting illegal immigrants and building Section 8 housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 AM

16 posts, read 23,058 times
Personally,YES, I do wish women would look at the ultrasound before aborting their baby. I have endured two abortions. The first was about 20 years ago, after my husband abandoned me and our small child, & I had no one to help me. The second was a few years ago, when I was again with another man that didn't want to be a father,after birth control failed.

What they don't tell you at the abortion clinic is what it's really like.

They don't tell you about the years of agonizing GUILT that follows.

They don't tell you that once you are "on the table", it's too late.

They don't tell you about the pain you feel, when your child dies, and is sucked from your body... and how when you scream for them to STOP, and they say "It's Too Late" -- it really IS.

They don't tell you how you may feel like you are the worst person in the world, afterwards... how the guilt and pain you may feel might eat at you for years, decades... and the nightmares. They never tell you about the ****ing NIGHTMARES.

They don't tell you about the way you see your child in every tiny little baby you see...
Worst of all, they don't tell you about what happens when you have a few pills left over from a chemical abortion. And you get pregnant again from a broken condom. And you swallow those leftover pills, in the hopes that you don't get pregnant, & have a child with the abusive ******* you can't seem to get rid of due to the horrid way you feel about yourself ...

And several months later, after you have assumed you have miscarried, you discover you are still pregnant.

They don't tell you about the horror, MASSIVE guilt, the wanting to die, when you discover your sweet baby has severe physical & mental impairments... were they caused by the "abortion pills" ??
You may never know for sure. But the guilt eats at you, day after day, night after night... and the physical therapy, occupational therapy, endless doctor appointments, glasses,surgeries, special teachers, wheelchairs, walkers, medications... it never ends.

That sweet little child is the most loving, sweet,intelligent ,amazing little person you have ever met or dreamed of ...everyone that meets that little sweetie is so touched & amazed by their spirit, & their sweet ,loving way, and it's obvious this special little person has a MISSION, and that is to make people THINK, and make people realize how life is so short, & how people should truly count their blessings. Someday that wonderful, amazing, sweet little child is going to ask why...

Sometimes abortions don't WORK. How do you explain THAT...???

Sorry, I didn't intend to share so much, but I don't give a damn. I just think women need to know all the possible scenarios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNn...eature=related
--Just for the helluva it..--

Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I am sorry you felt so bad after your abortions. many, many women do not carry guilt around afterward and feel it is the best decisions they could have made at the time. we all look back and regret to some extent. women should never have an abortion if they are unsure.

abortion clinics are pro women and give them all the info they need to make an informed choice.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think they definitely should be required to have an ultrasound before abortion. This does allow the woman to make a more educated choice doesn't it? I am pro-life and conservative but I would agree with the ultrasound being free. Rather have my tax dollars go toward this than supporting illegal immigrants and building Section 8 housing.
See, here we go. You want to pay for ultrasounds to guilt women into having babies they may not be financially able to feed and house.........but you do not want to pay to house the babies that are not aborted.

Typical thought process of the pro-lifer's .............just get 'em born........after that......who cares what happens to them.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKisOK View Post
Personally,YES, I do wish women would look at the ultrasound before aborting their baby. I have endured two abortions. The first was about 20 years ago, after my husband abandoned me and our small child, & I had no one to help me. The second was a few years ago, when I was again with another man that didn't want to be a father,after birth control failed.

What they don't tell you at the abortion clinic is what it's really like.

They don't tell you about the years of agonizing GUILT that follows.

They don't tell you that once you are "on the table", it's too late.

They don't tell you about the pain you feel, when your child dies, and is sucked from your body... and how when you scream for them to STOP, and they say "It's Too Late" -- it really IS.

They don't tell you how you may feel like you are the worst person in the world, afterwards... how the guilt and pain you may feel might eat at you for years, decades... and the nightmares. They never tell you about the ****ing NIGHTMARES.

They don't tell you about the way you see your child in every tiny little baby you see...
Worst of all, they don't tell you about what happens when you have a few pills left over from a chemical abortion. And you get pregnant again from a broken condom. And you swallow those leftover pills, in the hopes that you don't get pregnant, & have a child with the abusive ******* you can't seem to get rid of due to the horrid way you feel about yourself ...

And several months later, after you have assumed you have miscarried, you discover you are still pregnant.

They don't tell you about the horror, MASSIVE guilt, the wanting to die, when you discover your sweet baby has severe physical & mental impairments... were they caused by the "abortion pills" ??
You may never know for sure. But the guilt eats at you, day after day, night after night... and the physical therapy, occupational therapy, endless doctor appointments, glasses,surgeries, special teachers, wheelchairs, walkers, medications... it never ends.

That sweet little child is the most loving, sweet,intelligent ,amazing little person you have ever met or dreamed of ...everyone that meets that little sweetie is so touched & amazed by their spirit, & their sweet ,loving way, and it's obvious this special little person has a MISSION, and that is to make people THINK, and make people realize how life is so short, & how people should truly count their blessings. Someday that wonderful, amazing, sweet little child is going to ask why...

Sometimes abortions don't WORK. How do you explain THAT...???

Sorry, I didn't intend to share so much, but I don't give a damn. I just think women need to know all the possible scenarios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNn...eature=related
--Just for the helluva it..--
I really think you need counseling. You don't take "left over" pills from a chemical abortion. You don't tell a doctor to stop once an abortion is underway. Sounds like you do not listen to what the doctors tell you......and then blame others for a bad outcome and the guilt you feel.

You obviously did not take the pills from your chemical abortion as directed, or you wouldn't have had leftovers to use on your own without a doctor's prescription. If you had a disabled baby after taking leftover pills, it is your fault for not following directions, you can blame no one but yourself. Did you even TELL the doctors about the leftover pills you took? If you did, I am sure they advised you that the child had a good chance of having deformities......yet you decided to proceed.

Abortions work just fine......the doctors inform you of the process.......YOU didn't listen. YOU didn't follow direcions. YOU took leftover pills willy nilly without a doctors instruction.

Did you use your birth control as directed? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.

You sound like you needed mental health care way before your abortions.......that is why you are having a hard time dealing with something you, yourself, decided to do. Most women who have decided to have abortions are glad they had the freedom to make the choice.......and don't have a problem living with their decision.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm also pregnant. I think people should mind their own damned business about this issue. I don't care what your morals are or your religious beliefs are about this issue. You have no more right to forbid me from having an abortion than you to forbid me an epidural or force me into your church.

Pregnancy is hell. I can barely walk. My back hurts all the time. I'm can't lift anything larger than about five pounds without grunting. I voluntarily chose to become pregnant and I'm voluntarily choosing to continue to stay pregnant. I am pleased with my decision.

But it's still none of your business and never will be!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
See, here we go. You want to pay for ultrasounds to guilt women into having babies they may not be financially able to feed and house.........but you do not want to pay to house the babies that are not aborted.

Typical thought process of the pro-lifer's .............just get 'em born........after that......who cares what happens to them.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I really think you need counseling. You don't take "left over" pills from a chemical abortion. You don't tell a doctor to stop once an abortion is underway. Sounds like you do not listen to what the doctors tell you......and then blame others for a bad outcome and the guilt you feel.

You obviously did not take the pills from your chemical abortion as directed, or you wouldn't have had leftovers to use on your own without a doctor's prescription. If you had a disabled baby after taking leftover pills, it is your fault for not following directions, you can blame no one but yourself. Did you even TELL the doctors about the leftover pills you took? If you did, I am sure they advised you that the child had a good chance of having deformities......yet you decided to proceed.

Abortions work just fine......the doctors inform you of the process.......YOU didn't listen. YOU didn't follow direcions. YOU took leftover pills willy nilly without a doctors instruction.

Did you use your birth control as directed? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.

You sound like you needed mental health care way before your abortions.......that is why you are having a hard time dealing with something you, yourself, decided to do. Most women who have decided to have abortions are glad they had the freedom to make the choice.......and don't have a problem living with their decision.
Well said.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I know legislation has been proposed, and in some cases, enacted to make a woman view an ultrasound of the fetus before she can consent to an abortion. I remember when it was proposed in Florida but Crist shot it down, from what I understand. To make this thread more current, I did find this article from yesterday:

Kentucky Senate OKs Ultrasound Before Abortion Bill | LifeNews.com

It seems ignorance is a major problem amongst those who choose to abort:

Now, pro-abortion activists like to say that this ultrasound is medically unnecessary but that is simply not true. A pee test does not confirm a viable pregnancy. Even a blood test does not confirm a viable pregnancy. hCG levels can rise even when there is an ectopic pregnancy (which can become life-threatening), a molar pregnancy (which can pose a cancer danger) or a blighted ovum (hormones are produced but no fetal pole develops and thus, no baby). An ultrasound is the ONLY way to accurately diagnose a pregnancy, and thus, doctors must perform these before they can even say "Yes, there is a pregnancy. Would you like to abort?"

This whole issue came to mind yesterday, we just found out I am pregnant and I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks. The heart is already beating at 118 bpm and it is CLEARLY visible on the ultrasound screen. It was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.

I also want to point out that 6 weeks along is only two weeks after the missed period, and I practically had to force my way into the OB's office to be seen this early. Most girls who are pregnant would probably be AT LEAST at this stage of the game before they even figured out that they are pregnant, and thus, yes, the heart would be beating and would be clearly visible on the monitor.

After I saw our child's heart beating yesterday, I started to wonder how anybody could terminate a pregnancy after having seen that. Well, 80% of women considering an abortion don't terminate a pregnancy after seeing that. Therefore, I as a pro-lifer, I believe that this legislation would help in reducing the number of abortions.

What does everyone think? How would this legislation help or harm the women, the children and the medical community? If you saw your child's heart beating, would you still be able to have an abortion?
It would be against the law to make a woman look at anything before an abortion. It's her decision and it's the law of the land.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I had numerous miscarriages so I know how they check for viable birth before 12 weeks gestation. You can ask for an ultrasound but if you do not, they do not offer it unless you have had more than 2 miscarriages because it really isn't necessary.

HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin Level Doubling Time Calculator - Preconception

hCG levels

The following table is a guide to what hCG levels can be during pregnancy.
For those of you who are interested, or are having hCG monitoring, here are the suggested reference ranges for a single baby pregnancy. As you can see the range of normal levels is very wide. hCG levels can be 30 to 50% higher than for a single baby pregnancy, in twin and multiple gestations.

Weeks of pregnancy
after last menstrual period
Days after conceptionApproximate hCG levels
for single baby pregnancy (mIU/ml)
Week 3 7 0 to 5 Week 4 14 (next period due) 5 to 430 Week 5 21 180 to 7400 Week 6 28 1,100 to 56,500 Weeks 7 to 8 35 to 42 7,600 to 230,000 Weeks 9 to 12 49 to 70 25,300 to 290,000 Weeks 13 to 16 77 to 100 14,000 to 243,000 Weeks 17 to 24 4,000 to 165,000 Weeks 25 to birth of baby 3,200 to 90,000 4 to 6 weeks after birth Less than 5 These should be used as a guide only.
hCG levels double approximately every 48 hours during early normal pregnancy. It reaches a peak at about 10 week of gestation (since last menstrual period). At which time the average hCG levels in samples is around 60,000 mIU/ml. There is a very big variation in individual hCG concentrations. At this time, the extremes of normal levels are approximately 10,000 to 250,000 mIU/ml.

AT WHICH POINT YOU CAN THEN START USING THIS TO MAKE SURE THE BABY ISN'T DEAD.

Doppler fetal monitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doppler fetal monitors provide information about the fetus similar that provided by a fetal stethoscope. One advantage of the Doppler fetal monitor over a (purely acoustic) fetal stethoscope is the electronic audio output, which allows people other than the user to hear the heartbeat. One disadvantage is the greater complexity and cost and the lower reliability of an electronic device.
I know all of this already. This is for a very early pregnancy. When you reach 53,000 like I did at 5w5d, doubling time doesn't mean crap anymore. Mind you, there is a huge range of hCG values and that alone does not tell how far along you are. The doc who ordered my beta thought I was more like 8-10 weeks, but I knew I was not quite 6 weeks yet when I had that beta done.

Anyway, I am 6 weeks along, I am not in the clear, so no, hCG levels do not mean the pregnancy is viable. You can't use a home fetal doppler until about 10 weeks or so, but a doc's office can pick up the HB much earlier. But again, just b/c there is a heartbeat does not mean one is in the clear.

I am sorry for the losses you suffered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies