Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
WOW! If this was your parent or child, what would you do when they refuse to take their meds and completely break down and could hurt you or anyone they come in contact with? Leave it up to them? They need to be hospitalized so they can go back on the meds. Perhaps people shouldn't comment unless they've been there. It's one of the saddest and scariest things to see. I lived this nightmare for 40 years. So unless you've stared mental illness in the face, one shouldn't comment. I'm convinced this guy suffers from schizophrenia and right now it looks like his family tried to cover things up instead of medicating him. Very sad that it all came to this.
That is exactly how it is right now.

Are you favoring locking people up prior to committing a crime?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Don't forget this sicko stalked the congresswoman for 3 years before he finally snapped.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Don't forget this sicko stalked the congresswoman for 3 years before he finally snapped.
But....but....but then how can Palin be to blame????

Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The man is mentally ill, he could have been motivated by reading the wrapper on a Hersey bar.
"Respectful disagreement" has been absent from both political sides, that fact has predictable consequences. That we have seen! Did you or I talk this guy into going nuts? No! Did we contribute to an air of anger instead of disagreement? Yes! Do you and I influence large numbers of people? No! Does FOX, MSNBC, Palin, Beck, Olbermann, Reid, McConnell, etc influence a lot of people? Yes! Maybe not as many as a Hersey wrapper, but a lot of people.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
"Respectful disagreement" has been absent from both political sides, that fact has predictable consequences. That we have seen! Did you or I talk this guy into going nuts? No! Did we contribute to an air of anger instead of disagreement? Yes! Do you and I influence large numbers of people? No! Does FOX, MSNBC, Palin, Beck, Olbermann, Reid, McConnell, etc influence a lot of people? Yes! Maybe not as many as a Hersey wrapper, but a lot of people.
You can say the flowers are pink and smell nice and a complete nut would spin that into something that meant to go kill someone. Tghis had nothing at all to do with what anyone has said.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,436 times
You would take a loved one who is unconscious to the hospital so why not someone who becomes psychotic? Would you prefer to be killed or protect their rights? Once someone has been diagnosed with severe mental illness then yes, the family should be able to admit them so they can be put back on their meds.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You would take a loved one who is unconscious to the hospital so why not someone who becomes psychotic? Would you prefer to be killed or protect their rights? Once someone has been diagnosed with severe mental illness then yes, the family should be able to admit them so they can be put back on their meds.
This guy wasn't diagnosed...

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This guy wasn't diagnosed...
No, but we're finding out there was some coverup by the family. They should have been getting him diagnosed instead of covering up his actions. This isn't going to be about politics or gun control. It's about mental illness.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,068 times
I have my Twitter set up to read news. Today I was looking and this article by line got my attention. It was an article by Molly Stark Dean commenting on statements made by Howard Kurtz on the palatalization of the AZ shooting. After reading it I was thoroughly impressed with his outlook and approach to the reality of the situation.
He wrote "This isn’t about a nearly year-old Sarah Palin map; it’s about a lone nut job who doesn’t value human life. It would be nice if we briefly put aside partisan differences and came together with sympathy and support for Gabby Giffords and the other victims, rather than opening rhetorical fire ourselves".
Additional at in a separate statement he added, "I have little doubt that some Fox News and MSNBC commentators will spend much of the week sniping at each other over the political aspects of this tragedy, even as Gabby Giffords fights for her life".
Then again on On CNN’s “Reliable Sources” yesterday, Kurtz mentioned MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann‘s “stinging” special comment he made on the night of the event. Kurtz said “there’s always somebody you can blame for violent imagery.” “In my view,” Kurtz continued, “It would be nice if everybody dialed it back and toned it down just a little bit.”

It was refreshing to read that a commentator and reporter who's focus is on the political arena could come above left vs right rhetoric and show the mental ability to see that somethings are above differing political philosophies.
We can all learn from each other and it is easy to see that Mr. Kurtz is a teacher in this area of compassion, placing this tragedy in it's proper perspective, and the ability to stand up against political selfishness. My hat is off to him in these statements and I hope that others learn from his example.

https://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser...they-do_b47633

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
No, but we're finding out there was some coverup by the family. They should have been getting him diagnosed instead of covering up his actions. This isn't going to be about politics or gun control. It's about mental illness.
I haven't seen any evidence of that...

Yes this is about a mentally ill man who chose to not be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies