Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Also tend to be very homogenous and wary of foreigners.
Just visited India, a land of eighteen official languages and exceptionally welcoming of foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I love it. Why do people especially Black people think a line of thought is either white or black? You guys are going to have to get off this black/white racial paradigm you're stuck in. New people are moving in and are not saddled by either white guilt or black victimization. They are forming their own opinions based on their own life experiences.

I love how YOU thought the poster was black...

The funny thing is, I have Asian family members and friends and they dislike white people (my side of the family excluded). They talk about white people just like blacks talk about white people and joke them quite a bit. The same goes for many minority groups. While Asians are a "model minority" group, they're not as pro-white as your posts would have others believe--they're just not as vocal as blacks or even Hispanics. You make it seem like all other minorities (not black) have some white people love fest which is far from the truth.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:16 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Just about every Indian Republican that I know who is a Republican is one because they just wanna pay less taxes, lol. It's kinda hard to generalize Asian Americans, first off few people of Asian descent have any conciousness of some kind of pan-"Asian Americaness." Speaking as an Indian Hindu, most of the people that I know who are Indian American/Hindu are Democrats even though they are pro-business and live rather conservative lifestyles, not to mention the fact that the Republicans are slightly more pro-Indian than the Dems nowadays. Democratic voting patterns probably have to do with the Dems being in more rescent history the more "inclusive" party, having a less hawkish foreign policy, and for being the more secular party.

Also, Bobby Jindal and Nicky Haley are two very atypical Indian Americans and are as "Asian" as sweet potato pie.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
It depends. Japanese Americans I would say tend to be liberal due to that most of them are Buddhists. Korean Americans are a lot more conservative though because a good number of them are Christian.
I think overall most Asian are more socially conservative than other groups of Americans.

Issues like homosexually and gay rights are not openly discussed in many Asian countries like here in the United States.

You very seldom hear of an Asian woman having a child out of wedlock.

Asian have some of the highest marriage percentages of any ethnic or racial group in the United States.

Some Asians are religiously conservative and some are not.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Just about every Indian Republican that I know who is a Republican is one because they just wanna pay less taxes, lol. It's kinda hard to generalize Asian Americans, first off few people of Asian descent have any conciousness of some kind of pan-"Asian Americaness." Speaking as an Indian Hindu, most of the people that I know who are Indian American/Hindu are Democrats even though they are pro-business and live rather conservative lifestyles, not to mention the fact that the Republicans are slightly more pro-Indian than the Dems nowadays. Democratic voting patterns probably have to do with the Dems being in more rescent history the more "inclusive" party, having a less hawkish foreign policy, and for being the more secular party.

Also, Bobby Jindal and Nicky Haley are two very atypical Indian Americans and are as "Asian" as sweet potato pie.
As for republicans being pro-indian...perhaps on the world stage (bush and indian nuclear deal for instance).

But then you have things like the george allen macaca incident towards an indian american.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
^Yeah most Indians aren't too comfortable with the white racist/nativist and religious conservative branches of the party. Overall, both parties more or less ignore Asians groups when it comes to tayloring their message(though they don't ignore us when it comes to fundraising lol). Unlike, Cubans and Jews who form sizable(and somewhat swingable voting blocs) in a swing state like Florida, most Asians live in states that are solidly blue or in the case of Texas, red.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Presidential Election Trend, with Asian voters:
2000: 54% voted democratic
2004: 58% voted democratic
2008: 62% voted democratic

I have a LOT of Asian friends, from East (Korea and China/Hongkong), South East Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos) and a few from South Asia (India). Not ONE looks at the republican party favorably. One of my Indian friends, an Ayn Rand fan, is generally split but can't stand the republican politics and picks the lesser of two evils. The problem with most of them, especially in Texas, is that they do not show up to vote assuming that there vote doesn't matter because Texas is a red state. They're incorrigible. I did have a colleague from China who leaned republican, and one from South Korea who did so for being an evangelical Christian.

Asians tend to be traditional and well educated for most part. Many (especially from India) do hold an anti-Muslim sentiment that bodes well with the right wing ideology here but they tend to be split on policies by either party. I did meet an India engineer couple of months ago, in Beaumont, TX, while visiting a friend, who was staunchly republican but surrounded by three others who destroyed him on his EPA (works for an oil company) and health care stance.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 31,478 times
The opening question is terrible! You throw so many assumptions and bias into the opening question, it is ridiculous. You are so biased against liberals that it doesn't matter what the issue is, you only know you will be disagreeing with liberals.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
I know Asians all over the political spectrum. But most don't like to talk about it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies