Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree with the OP but ya got to sit back and remember this is all just entertainment, many of these people are just here to aggrivate others, that is what they enjoy and ya got to take it as just that, it's just entertainment.
No, it's not just entertainment. Not for everyone. Some may really take it all seriously enough to act. Anyone who has spent any time on boards like these have seen the one, errant screwball who actually sets out to do another member harm. It happens occassionally on any discussion forum. Like the terrorist in Tucson, emotions take over rational thought and things go awry.

So, the OP is right. But, instead of just leaving as she's done, may I suggest that we all commit to standing up for tolerance, forebearance, patience and comity?

What's wrong with challenging those who spew hatred and division? What's wrong with the rest of us refusing to acknowledge or comment on posts that feed the hatred and bigotry, posts which are based upon intolerant stereotypes and absolutes? Why not ostracize the extremist's until they get frustrated enough to find another place to spew their garbage? Why not refuse to listen to the hate-mongers and dividers and conspiracist's on TV and on the radio?

Why not tone down the rhetoric and let those who foster disunion know they're not welcome any more, that we are AMERICAN'S, that we believe what Abraham Lincoln said so many years ago and will live like what he said: "With malice toward none, with charity for all..."

Instead of surrendering and running from the field, what's wrong with fighting back and reclaiming the grounds of tolerance and understanding which is the lifeblood of our democracy?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Swan song

Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Why all the drama? Just leave the site if it doesn't suit you anymore.

This ^^^

I'm on a few forums and I always laugh at these goodbye threads.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I had to take a couple month break from this place for professional reasons, but here's why I come to the forum: just when I start to get all warm and fuzzy, believing that people are basically logical, rational and decent, I can read posts here and reality smacks me right in the face. It keeps me grounded. I'm rarely exposed to some of the viewpoints here in my day to day life.
I think it's because people can hide behind anonymity and say what they normally wouldn't.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Child View Post
Mmm, you know why this all happens? It's cause people believe they're so superior in their opinions when they're behind a computer screen. So sad, huh?
But doesn't everyone believe their opinion to be 'superior' to the opinion of others? Otherwise, why bother having an opinion? At the same time we have to remember that an opinion is just that. Another's different opinion is likely based on different life experiences than I've had. It takes an active imagination to place oneself in another's shoes and even try to see things from their perspective. And that is one thing I've found to be lacking in a lot of people - imagination.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, it's not just entertainment. Not for everyone. Some may really take it all seriously enough to act. Anyone who has spent any time on boards like these have seen the one, errant screwball who actually sets out to do another member harm. It happens occassionally on any discussion forum. Like the terrorist in Tucson, emotions take over rational thought and things go awry.

So, the OP is right. But, instead of just leaving as she's done, may I suggest that we all commit to standing up for tolerance, forebearance, patience and comity?

What's wrong with challenging those who spew hatred and division? What's wrong with the rest of us refusing to acknowledge or comment on posts that feed the hatred and bigotry, posts which are based upon intolerant stereotypes and absolutes? Why not ostracize the extremist's until they get frustrated enough to find another place to spew their garbage? Why not refuse to listen to the hate-mongers and dividers and conspiracist's on TV and on the radio?

Why not tone down the rhetoric and let those who foster disunion know they're not welcome any more, that we are AMERICAN'S, that we believe what Abraham Lincoln said so many years ago and will live like what he said: "With malice toward none, with charity for all..."

Instead of surrendering and running from the field, what's wrong with fighting back and reclaiming the grounds of tolerance and understanding which is the lifeblood of our democracy?
Don't get upset, but it is entertainment, this forum changes nothing there is no result from one debate that makes any difference in this world.
tell me one thing that this forum will change in the world, you can't because it doesn't, theres nothing wrong with it but it's absolutly crazy to get upset over anything said here.
I see people who write one or two words just to aggrevate people and it works, they are not doing that for any other reason than their entertainment.
If anyone were to act because of this forum then they have a mental problem and should go to the other topics and relax.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Don't get upset, but it is entertainment, this forum changes nothing there is no result from one debate that makes any difference in this world.
tell me one thing that this forum will change in the world, you can't because it doesn't, theres nothing wrong with it but it's absolutly crazy to get upset over anything said here.
I see people who write one or two words just to aggrevate people and it works, they are not doing that for any other reason than their entertainment.
If anyone were to act because of this forum then they have a mental problem and should go to the other topics and relax.

You're wrong. I've seen the words result in violence.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
So you want to close down all political forums too?

How can you know for sure which political words will provoke violence? And what have you seen? Yourself smacking your computer monitor?

You censorship types are truly scary.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
All you've seen is a stupid person, words are just that and do not cause violence, stupid people cause violence, it takes a physical act.
When we were kids there was a saying "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" and it's true.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think it's because people can hide behind anonymity and say what they normally wouldn't.
Exactly. They can hide behind a computer screen and say what they really think, vs. the sanitized version they give to the world, because if they really said it out loud most people WOULD think they're nuts. It's an eye opener. I don't think a good portion of people here are just looking for entertainment--I think they absolutely mean what they say, and they've found a place to say it where it's safe, and they can find other equally messed up people who support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies