Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

This place is by and large driven by hate, and being on here is a waste of my time.

Don't get me wrong, there are some of you on here who at least try to be fair-minded and recognize that there are more shades to an issue than just black or white. But by and large, we're drowned out by the group of hardcore zealots from both sides who spend their lives trolling on here in search of a fight.

It's always like that around here. There can never be any compromise, there can never be an admission of wrong, there can never be a fair-minded recognition that sometimes "our corner" isn't "the winner" in a certain situation. It always has to be this bitter, stereotypical condemnation of "The Left" or "The Right". It's F-ing old, people. And sad. And useless and counter-productive. I've come to the realization that we are, by and large, simply incapable of discussing things like mature adults.

Now, I will confess that I've derived a lot of entertainment from this polarization - sort of like a trash TV indulgence. And I'm sure there are times when I stepped over the line as well. But I think I need to be done with this. I think I need to cut this place out of my life like the cancer it really is. I'm sure I'll have some withdrawal symptoms at first, since I've habituated myself into wasting quite a lot of time on here...but I'll develop new, better habits in time. Maybe from time to time I'll post in some of the other forums that align with my hobbies. But life is short, my time is precious, and the world is a beautiful place; I am sure I can think of more meaningful, positive ways to spend my time than trying to fruitlessly argue with anonymous zealots on the internet. And I'm sure you could, too.

I know you don't really care. I know you won't even pause for a breath before going back to your usual program. I can hear it now, how the rest of eternity on this forum will sound...

"It's all THE EVIL LEFT'S fault!"

"No, it's all THE EVIL RIGHT'S fault!"

Keep going, guys... It's clear that no lessons from sad events like yesterday's will ever be learned around here.

What if all the zealots ranted...and reasonable people just didn't listen? What a beautiful thought. I think I'll start now.

See ya.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This place is by and large driven by hate, and being on here is a waste of my time.

Don't get me wrong, there are some of you on here who at least try to be fair-minded and recognize that there are more shades to an issue than just black or white. But by and large, we're drowned out by the group of hardcore zealots from both sides who spend their lives trolling on here in search of a fight.

It's always like that around here. There can never be any compromise, there can never be an admission of wrong, there can never be a fair-minded recognition that sometimes "our corner" isn't "the winner" in a certain situation. It always has to be this bitter, stereotypical condemnation of "The Left" or "The Right". It's F-ing old, people. And sad. And useless and counter-productive. I've come to the realization that we are, by and large, simply incapable of discussing things like mature adults.

Now, I will confess that I've derived a lot of entertainment from this polarization - sort of like a trash TV indulgence. And I'm sure there are times when I stepped over the line as well. But I think I need to be done with this. I think I need to cut this place out of my life like the cancer it really is. I'm sure I'll have some withdrawal symptoms at first, since I've habituated myself into wasting quite a lot of time on here...but I'll develop new, better habits in time. Maybe from time to time I'll post in some of the other forums that align with my hobbies. But life is short, my time is precious, and the world is a beautiful place; I am sure I can think of more meaningful, positive ways to spend my time than trying to fruitlessly argue with anonymous zealots on the internet. And I'm sure you could, too.

I know you don't really care. I know you won't even pause for a breath before going back to your usual program. I can hear it now, how the rest of eternity on this forum will sound...

Keep going, guys... It's clear that no lessons from sad events like yesterday's will ever be learned around here.

What if all the zealots ranted...and reasonable people just didn't listen? What a beautiful thought. I think I'll start now.

See ya.
Well, (hopefull) as one of those whom you see as somewhat in the middle, I urge you to not go gently into that good night.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

One loss of a voice of reason is just going to make the insanity grow larger. Do not go gentle into that good night.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:19 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Some of the comments here yesterday reminded me of the Twilight Zone episode, where the people of the neighborhood attacked eachother, accusing each of breaking into someones home and attacking eachother with stones, bricks , words ... : Words spoken yesterday :

" She's dead "

" No, she's not dead."

" She is not dead, she is in the hospital "

" She's in the hospital but brain dead "

This went on and on... while her death was either confirmed or rebutted.

There were numerous theories as to who did it, why he did it, what side he was on ( left or right ) and his mental state.

At the end of the day : a young talented 40 year old congress women was shot through the head by a lunatic . Thats the only reality until we get more information.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
It's more boredom than hate.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Why all the drama? Just leave the site if it doesn't suit you anymore.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Why all the drama? Just leave the site if it doesn't suit you anymore.
I think there is a good point to be made.

The OP is not wrong.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
I wish the OP the best of luck in their endeavors. And yes, I do agree...

Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think there is a good point to be made.

The OP is not wrong.
Never said the OP was wrong. Just don't understand the need to announce it thereby creating further debate and divisiveness.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

See ya.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I agree with the OP but ya got to sit back and remember this is all just entertainment, many of these people are just here to aggrivate others, that is what they enjoy and ya got to take it as just that, it's just entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies