Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we restrict gun sales from those with a history of mental illness?
Yes, no one with a history of mental illness needs to own a firearm. 28 41.79%
Depends, I don't want dangerous people with guns, but the law would have to be worded well 32 47.76%
No, I think mentally ill people should have the right to bear arms. 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just found out that this guy had spent time in a mental institution for dangerous mental behavior. So why oh why was this idiot allowed to own a gun?

I'm a gun owner, I love guns, I support the ability for mentally stable individuals to own firearms and to have a concealed deadly weapons permit.

But AZ's laws say that you can still get both of those things, even with the long mental history that this idiot had.

Is it time we institute a national policy to fix this? I'm not sure how its worded, but look at Virginia Tech, the Tuscon shootings, and several others. All perpetrated by people with known mental conditions and issues.

After Tucson: Why Are the Mentally Ill Still Bearing Arms? - TIME
Ideally, yes.

However, after living in both NYC and DC, I have noticed gun laws are not much of a barrier to those who are determined to acquire one.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 26,961 times
Default The media has not worded this well

There is a huge difference between mental illness and mental incompetence. The latter is what should be of concern regarding firearm possession.

Under the blanket term of "mentally ill" you have mild depression, PTSD, certain phobias, etc. Case in point, a person who has been raped and diagnosed with PTSD would be denied a firearm. Someone who has just lost a love one and has mild depression would be denied. Returning combat vets with PTSD would be denied a right they fought for, only because of a label.

This needs to be well thought out and not knee jerked.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Couldn't vote because you forgot to include the option " No- Federal and State Governments need to do a better job with the laws already on the books.

That would have made for a more complete poll and less bias. Not that you are bias being a stated gun owner yourself.
I would have added that option if I had thought of it.

I agree, the laws that are on the books aren't being used, or aren't sufficient to keep insane people from gaining access to legal guns.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not everyone with a mental illness is dangerous. In fact, most mentally ill people are not dangerous.
This. And because someone had a bout of depression, they are now unable to own a gun for life? I can see types of laws being abused.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't have a problem with students carrying guns on campus. Or the instructors. Or the staff. Or the maintenance guys. Or any adult, for that matter.
Personally, I would have a hard time concentrating if the students or the teacher were carrying. It would create a tense atmosphere that's not conducive to learning.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I can't describe those countries as particularly free, and the past century gives plenty of examples of what happens when people are defenseless against a government run amok.
European countries have much stronger privacy laws than the U.S. - if that means anything to you.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Should a national gun sale ban for anyone with a history mental illness be instituted?

No because everybody is subject to being mentally Ill, I don't want some doctor determining if I am fit to own a gun, if someone is crazy they will get a gun it's not hard, I had a friend who worked in a truck stop and had the opportunity to buy guns every day.
Your really never sure who will be violent until it happens.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningAwayInNYC View Post
So, the mentally ill should not be able to own a gun because they 'may' be more likely to kill someone with it?

Gee, Black people are more likely to murder each other with guns (in fact their 13% of the population commits over half the murders - ouch), should they be banned from owning guns?
Every single post you've made on this message board has involved making negative comments about black people. Take your white supremacist garbage back to stormfront.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Personally, I would have a hard time concentrating if the students or the teacher were carrying. It would create a tense atmosphere that's not conducive to learning.
How would you know?

How do you know who is carrying when you are anywhere in public?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningAwayInNYC View Post
So, the mentally ill should not be able to own a gun because they 'may' be more likely to kill someone with it?

Gee, Black people are more likely to murder each other with guns (in fact their 13% of the population commits over half the murders - ouch), should they be banned from owning guns?
Well logically speaking,you would think so...but that would be denying a person's rights for no reason....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies