Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
California - #1 in homicide

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos
Well duh. California is, by far, the largest state. Look up the per capita numbers and you'll get a much different picture. It's mostly southern states that have the highest homicide rates.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No one knows if he was liberal or conservative. What evidence do you have?
He hated God and religion, was a pot head and his acquaintances said he was liberal politically - but it's really you guys who so desperately want to exploit this for the political angle when there's no evidence it was political at all.

Look at the video where he burned the USA flag to that song with the lyrics "let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor,.....nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me,.... let the bodies hit the floor...." - that was clearly no conservative.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
People out there truly hate people b/c they don't have the same political views. The hate just oozes from these very forums. It's crazy.
Certainly cant disagree on that.
Wonder if our whack job gunman had a favorite forum and what the general attitude of his postings may have been.
Little too early to say the guys motives were political as no one actually knows yet,

Last edited by jambo101; 01-09-2011 at 02:06 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Duh. California is, by far, the largest state. Look up the per capita numbers and you'll get a much different picture. It's mostly southern states that have the highest homicide rates.
I did - District of Columbia wins that distinction. It's been that way for a while now, I believe. I can only link to the query search engine on the FBI site since that is how you mine the data there now. But, here go, nonetheless. http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeOneYearofData.cfm (broken link)

Actually, believe this argument is a bit of a non-starter since there is no evidence that any one geographic region is more violent than any other. Seems based more upon urban areas with high concentrations of poverty. So, take it or leave it.

Last edited by southbel; 01-09-2011 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: darn spelling

Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He hated God and religion, was a pot head and his acquaintances said he was liberal politically - but it's really you guys who so desperately want to exploit this for the political angle when there's no evidence it was political at all.

Look at the video where he burned the USA flag to that song with the lyrics "let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor,.....nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me,.... let the bodies hit the floor...." - that was clearly no conservative.
I've known conservative atheists and conservative pot smokers, so I don't agree with your assumptions.

Even if he is a liberal, it doesn't prove much of anything. I think the bigger problem is with language from political leaders that sounds as if it's encouraging gun-play as a remedy to our problems.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:

Please quit using e.g. smoke marijuana and atheists to equate a murderer. It's offensive.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Please quit using e.g. smoke marijuana and atheists to equate a murderer. It's offensive.
Why? There was most definitely that association - he was anti-religion, anti-God and very much was into marijuana. Why don't YOU tell those who are trying to falsely link him to Palin or conservatives to stop?

At least be consistent. The guy was an atheist, liberal, pot head. It's your side that wants to make this about politics - be consistent, if it's about politics, he's one of yours.

Details Of Suspect In Ariz Rampage Slowly Emerge : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132766402 - broken link)

In an interview, Wiens also said Loughner used to speak critically about religion. He also talked about how he liked to smoke pot.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I've known conservative atheists and conservative pot smokers, so I don't agree with your assumptions.

Even if he is a liberal, it doesn't prove much of anything. I think the bigger problem is with language from political leaders that sounds as if it's encouraging gun-play as a remedy to our problems.
I think the bigger problem is that a psychotic drug addict was allowed to bring a gun to a political event.

Aren't their laws already limiting gun ownership in the mentally ill? Obviously these guns - just like the drug laws aren't working. This guy apparently didn't care if laws exist since he also used drugs that are illegal.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Why? There was most definitely that association - he was anti-religion, anti-God and very much was into marijuana. Why don't YOU tell those who are trying to falsely link him to Palin or conservatives to stop?

At least be consistent. The guy was an atheist, liberal, pot head. It's your side that wants to make this about politics - be consistent, if it's about politics, he's one of yours.

Details Of Suspect In Ariz Rampage Slowly Emerge : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132766402 - broken link)

In an interview, Wiens also said Loughner used to speak critically about religion. He also talked about how he liked to smoke pot.
And so your argument is that atheists and marijuana users are more likely to kill people?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
I think the bigger problem is that a psychotic drug addict was allowed to bring a gun to a political event.

Aren't their laws already limiting gun ownership in the mentally ill? Obviously these guns - just like the drug laws aren't working. This guy apparently didn't care if laws exist since he also used drugs that are illegal.
Unless he was officially diagnosed with a serious mental illness and it was reported by the state to the federal government, there's little that would stop him from owning a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies