Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It matters that almost nobody is acknowledging any influence on this guys snapping.
And you know what influenced him? Are you sugges that it isn't possible therebwas a trigger from the left? Or that there was a trigger at all and he is just nuts

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is amazing to watch the left disintegrate before our very eyes. They are hysterically desperate to attach this tragic event to the right when no such connection exists. Fair minded people are horrified by the naked attempted to exploit this tragedy for political gain. How sad......
Not so. I think most fair minded people are appalled and if there are people on left you claim are 'hysterically' trying to attach this incident to right wingers, they have every reason to. Only time will tell.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Not so. I think most fair minded people are appalled and if there are people on left you claim are 'hysterically' trying to attach this incident to right wingers, they have every reason to. Only time will tell.
That isn't so. There is no more evidence that he is right than there is that he is left. If you have some I would be happy to look at it.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
He is right. I live in AZ and I can say he is right. I am not at all surprised this happened. What surprises me is why more of it hasn't happened.

This place is crazy. I want out but that's another story.

This woman's office was vandalized for voting YES on healthcare reform and she'd received threats. Guns abound here. I could get a gun with very little trouble if I wanted to - not so where I lived before.

Anyway, he was tapping into something larger but, for some reason, AZ seems to be getting a lot of attention for being some microcosm of the craziness that has ensued in the US. I think AZ deserves it.

Oh, and this state is very right wing so of course you are going to get the Sarah Palin, Glenn Bleck supporting kind of hate crap.
Misty, yes, we've heard that YOU live in AZ, but you're not the only person living here and certainly not the mouthpiece for AZ; however, I'm finding that you are full of absolutes. I'm not sure where you're from originally, but if you wish to get out, then get out. Having lived in AZ for almost 20 years, I find it very insulting for you to make these simplistic claims about our state and its people. AZ has more people who ride the middle politically, but there are a few (the minority) who chose to listen to all the media hype (it doesn't matter whether right or left) and can't think for themselves. Thank you for demonstrating this.

This tragedy that occurred yesterday happened in Tucson, a more liberal haven in AZ. This tragedy could easily have occured anywhere else in the country, but you wish to use this tragedy as a tool to blame AZ for your own personal reasons, and then to top it off, you think AZ deserves it. That is disgusting.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,308,615 times
There is a lot of hate out there from every side.
This should not have happened no matter where your politics stand.

A 9 yar old girl that was everything to her parents lost.
Doesn't get any sadder than that.

Not to relate this directly to the shooting but a lot of the hate could be squashed if so called "Leaders" (not due to Gifford's terrible assualt or her personally) would stop ruling, yes ruling because that's what it's become, by fiat instead of the laws that give or prevent powers ascribed to them all coud stay calmer including the lunitics out there.

I pray for her succesful recovery and that of all others that survived as well as the families and loved ones of all of them.

God help us!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,542 times
Quote:
Originally posted by maureensacks
Is the politics of hate climate underlying cause of todays tragedy or is it an isolated incident?? What do you think??
Yes, it is a cause. I have little doubt about it.

Last edited by mackinac81; 01-09-2011 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Of course it had an effect, though it might be impossible to establish a direct, provable link. You can't pour poison into the political waters forever and expect it to have no effect at all. It just doesn't work that way.

The rhetoric of the Beck's and Limbaugh's IS poisonous because they don't recognize the legitimacy of the political opposition. Instead of accepting that others hold different opinions, and meeting those opinions in debate, they identify the other side as usurpers, illegitimate's and enemies, worthy only of scorn and whatever it takes to remove them. While sane, rational people can shrug off the hyperbole, such slanderous and evil talk doesn't just fall on their ears: it also falls into the ears of the unbalanced, the illiterate, the uneducated who can't distinguish between hyper-ventilated political rhetoric and a real call to arms. It's inevitable that some goofball, driven to paroxysm's of hate by the endless, relentless preaching of division, and frightened by the talking heads conspiracy theories, will do something tragic. What's surprising is that we haven't already seen this happen.

For those of us old enough to remember, what happened yesterday, and is likely to happen again, is the perfect counterpoint to the 1960's and early 70's.

Back then, the violent rhetoric of revolution and resistance came from the extreme left and it resulted in the creation of some really dangerous people who took the message to heart and acted. From the Weather Underground to the real Black Panthers, murder and mayhem spread, fueled by hate speech which questioned the legitimacy of the freely elected administrations of Johnson and Nixon. Why would anyone with any sense deny that the same kind of hatefullness and divisive language coming from the right wouldn't produce the same results today? Especially given the ease of communicating the message which the internet and 24 hour TV gives the purveyor's of disharmony and bigotry!

What's even more frightening than the actions of one deluded individual (or, possibly more) is that Beck, Limbaugh and their fellow traveler's are not stupid. They know what they're creating, they know what the likely outcome is, yet they go right on as if nothing has happened, as if all their blatherings about progressive conspiracies to destroy the nation don't mean anything and have no effect. But, they DO know and have known all along, so what's their motivation? What do they hope to achieve by throwing their brand of corrosive acid into the face of American politics? Were they trying to create things like yesterday? If not, why don't they stop now that anyone with half a brain can see the result?

Even more troubling is that so few people see the connection or, more likely, don't want to admit it. How many more must die before those who listen to and watch those fools rise up and reject their message of intolerance, bigotry and dangerous hatred?
we can not start blaming people for the actions of other it will not be pretty if we go down that road. there is violence in music and in movies also. lets worry about the people who are doing the killings and bring them to justice and hopefully the death penalty. people who listen to beck and limbaugh and have half a brain,know that they are not advocating violence. It is delusional to think other wise!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,604 times
Lets tell it like it is terrorists come in all colors ,religions ages etc. How come no one has called him a terrorist yet?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
That isn't so. There is no more evidence that he is right than there is that he is left. If you have some I would be happy to look at it.
Like I said time will tell.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 AM

657 posts, read 697,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureensacks View Post
Is the politics of hate climate underlying cause of todays tragedy or is it an isolated incident?? What do you think??
It obviously is the general climate of hate and fear that has been so prevalent in the USA, in recent times more so than ever

And this is coming from a completely neutral point of view, as I'm not American nor do I live in the US so I'm not brainwashed by either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies