Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,146,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I have no hate maps on my computer. I don't go on Nat'l TV and talk about things like Beck and Palin do. I'll voice my opinion on an Internet board, but I stay away from conservatives IRL as I know it will only lead to problems. I stay informed and try to educate when it makes sense to do so.
Having discussions with conservatives will only lead to problems if you allow it. The alternative that you've come up with which is avoiding them may not be the right answer. It's hard to stay informed and educated when you distance yourself completely from people who may not agree with you on certain topics or you may not agree with them. Not everyone leans completely left or right, but many fall in the middle, and how are you supposed to learn or educate yourself if you think you already have all of the answers?

I too live in AZ (for almost 20 years) and I know I don't have all of the answers, but you really need to stop speaking in absolutes whether you are speaking about AZ or politics. It's not that black and white as you paint it to be.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Can't say I've ever seen one anywhere. But, I guess you can keep up the projection of false causation if you like. What about mentally disturbed individual intent on doing great harm is difficult for you to grasp? It is not a right nor a left thing no matter how much you falsely try to spin it.
And you know this how? This determination has not even been made by the authorities. You lose all credibility with statements like this.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
Really? Is that why things like crosshair maps exist?

Conservatism, by nature, wants to preserve the status quo.

What you all really want is for this thing to go away. You don't want it discussed, you don't want the hate speech discussed (which comes from the right), you don't want to be exposed as the party of hate.
Yeah those violent rightwingers.....I wonder what your excuses for these will be.

http://www.petitionspot.com/cache/gimages/2276-3.jpg (broken link)

http://hillbuzz.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/screen-shot-2011-01-08-at-3-05-33-pm.png (broken link)

Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Perhaps your side should reel in the rhetoric.

It wasn't a left-wing candidate who muttered something about "second amendment remedies" - that was Tea Party darling (and complete nutter) Sharron Angle.

It was a GOP candidate who explained at a rally that "We have the chance to fight this battle at the ballot box before we have to resort to the bullet box". (Catherine Crabill, Virginia)

How may left-wingers attend rallies with placards saying "We came unarmed - this time."? "If Brown can't do it, a Browning will"?

How many Priuses sport a "Vote from the rooftops" bumper sticker? (That one apparently goes back to the Clinton days, charming...)

The fascination with firearms as political tools has been deliberately channeled by right, and while I'm 100% sure that they didn't intend something like this - they're just stroking the ego of their followers - they should perhaps have thought that the unbalanced, undermedicated and untreated psychiatric cases have access to firearms as well.

Rhetoric triggers actions.
It wasn't a conservative who plastered a video up on CBS that showed the image of GW Bush with the caption "snipers wanted". That was most definitely your side. And it couldn't have been more clear that you all wanted the president at that time "removed".

Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
You live in PA. Cut the guy some slack as he actually LIVES in the place on which he commented.
Ok good police work should be analytical. In other words based on facts.
The congress woman and many others were shot.
He contends that Arizona's stand on illegal immigration and hispanics was a factor. He mentioned racism several times.
He further eludes to Political ads as a another possible cause.
Ok I can see that some loony might react to whatever fantasy drives them. But at this stage of the investigation just about everything he said was on a personal note or based on emotion. He is an obvious hack.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
"Liberals lie better than the Conservatives can tell the truth. That is a real weakness for the Conservatives" -Newt Gingrich
Nah the real weakness of Conservatives is they preach 'family values' and then quote adulterers like Gingrich as if he somehow exemplifies those values.

Last edited by burdell; 01-09-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally posted by zoomba
The hate I see was started by the left with their vitriol towards Bush. I don't see hatred from the right, I see it firmly from the left.
Then you're delusional. Clearly you have never seen coverage of those Palin rallies.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM

898 posts, read 827,710 times
[mod cut- discussing moderator actions on the forums. If you have an issue with a post, use the report feature to bring it to mods' attention]

I'll leave you wingnuts alone now. You've proven my point repeatedly in just this one little thread.

Last edited by observer53; 01-09-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureensacks View Post
Is the politics of hate climate underlying cause of todays tragedy or is it an isolated incident?? What do you think??
Yes. I said that as soon as I read the story yesterday. I began to write a comment on the AZ board, but another poster only mentioned it was political motivated and was chastised by a moderator, so I knew my comment would be deleted. I've said fear mongers and race baiters like Limbaugh & Beck and the lies of politicians and political candidates who spread hate and bigotry for personal gain are dangerous for 2 years. Didn't Nancy Pelosi bring up what happened in CA when Harvey Milk was shot and said hate speech will promote violence? Oh, I know. She was upset & tearful, so why take her seriously? I mean nobody in Congress ever cries or gets emotional.

Jan Brewer lied about a lot of things from beheadings in AZ to Death Panels in the Health Reform bill and now she's calling the shootings a tragedy. Michele Bachman said we should be armed and dangerous. Sarah Palin targeted a group of politicans - a "hit list" - and Giffords was one of them. When you show images of guns and tell people to stand up and fight and to "take them out," you've got to expect extremists to react to the bitterness. I doubt if any of those responsible will accept a drop of blame. After all, the shooter must be crazy.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-09-2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Then you're delusional. Clearly you have never seen coverage of those Palin rallies.
Actually I see hatred from the extremes on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies