Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,828,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's hard to quiet the rhetoric when you are being shot at. The Republican Party held a fund Raiser last June where the contributors could join the candidate shooting at pictures of Gabby Giffords with an M-16 Rifle. Now they claim clean hands
Please provide proof that people shot at pictures of Giffords?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,251,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For the most part, it seems like a lot of people agree with him.
I think most people in Arizona may have understood his sentiment without agreeing with his opinion.It's one thing to say that discrimination exists in this state, it's another thing entirely to say we are the mecca for discrimination. I can think of far more states that have deeper concerns regarding racism, discrimination and violation of civil rights not to mention a history of slavery and being a member of the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,090,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Perhaps but he essentially admitted he knew little about the suspect at the time he made those remarks.
"essentially admitted"........ummmm. I didn't hear that. I heard him to decline to answer a lot of questions, but I certainly got the impression that he had been involved in a lot of what was going on behind the scenes and knew as much, if not more, than any of the investigators. He is the sheriff. The lead investigator does work for him, so I would guess he had more access to information than anyone else in his office. He seemed genuinely upset and frustrated over what had happened, IMO.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,090,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think most people in Arizona may have understood his sentiment without agreeing with his opinion.It's one thing to say that discrimination exists in this state, it's another thing entirely to say we are the mecca for discrimination. I can think of far more states that have deeper concerns regarding racism, discrimination and violation of civil rights not to mention a history of slavery and being a member of the Confederacy during the Civil War.
It's certainly not the mecca of discrimination. That's a ridiculous statement. Not even close. It's one of the most racially tolerant states (if not the most) in the union.

The problem has traditionally been the politicians here. The MLK holiday thing really gave us a bad, bad name, when in fact, most Arizonans actually supported it...and we passed it by referendum here. But the way the pols carried on, we were made out to be a super racist state because they kept stoking the fires.

The legacy of that controversy continues to dog us, though we've long moved past that. And with the 1070 debates last year, it just got uglier. But for those of us who live here, we know better.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM

68,298 posts, read 54,168,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The rhetoric will likely not be quieted until blood is shed. To man, the sight of blood is the greatest of teaching tools. Even God knew that.

Just my observation. I hope I'm wrong.
Blood has been shed, and my guess is after a few days of tip-toeing around we'll have learned nothing and it will continue to be shed. It doesn't please me but appears to be the nature of the beast.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,499,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I would guess he had more access to information than anyone else in his office. He seemed genuinely upset and frustrated over what had happened, IMO.
Everyone is upset, and that's to be understood

However, The Sheriff has made it a point that everyone
know about how long he's been in Law Enforcement
he should have used better judgement in his statements
something a seasoned professional Sheriff would have done.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,820,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
If our children drew maps like these in school or made remarks like she has, they would be suspended from school and be required to undergo an evaluation to determine their safety in the school setting before being allowed to return. She is in a position of authority (unfortunately) and she needs to take responsibility for her actions and set an appropriate example - but then I guess she wouldn't be the Sarah Palin we know anymore.
Absolutely. She drew the map and must own it!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,240,573 times
Well, whether you agree with him or not AZ has been in the national news for at least a year regarding laws manifested from a bigoted stance.

Did AZ eliminate cultural programs from schools? Is AZ lilly white or are there large populations of Hispanics and Native Americans? If so, why eliminate cultural programs and classes?

Did an AZ school district demand a 'repainting' of a mural because there were 'too many brown' faces in the mural?

Fact is AZ has been in the news because of incendiary, bigoted rhetoric for a while now, so what do you expect? I've not spent much time in AZ, so I don't know personally what its like, but it's looked poorly in the news for the last year or so.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Absolutely. She drew the map and must own it!
What of the Democrat maps with targets???

Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM

17,360 posts, read 9,185,628 times
Quote:
so what do you expect?
I "expect" that most folks are not interested in moving to, or investing in - the "mecca of discrimination" in the USA. Seems to be a real trend for Arizona public figures to diss the State on National TV - on the other hand, these anti-Arizona idjits continue to get elected, so I guess that suits the people of Arizona.

Very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies