Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,812,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I would assume that the fact that her husband was shot has made it impossible for her to be rational about guns.

What makes it even crazier is that Gabrielle Giffords calls herself a "Second Amendment Democrat". She very much defends the right to own a gun, and she'd probably vote against McCarthy's legislation.
You are correct. She has been rabidly anti-gun since that day. Banning firearms is her mission just as it is for Jim Brady's wife (of the Brady campaign).

Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I do not believe in guns, never did, never will. Brings me back to my childhood when I was absolutely appalled that my father went hunting, HORRIBLE. What irritates me even more are the people that keep guns in the homes where there are children, and people with mental issues. NO ONE who has mental issues, depression, or ANY of that should own a gun, and I don't believe they should be around children. Don't give me this crap about your rights either. I know personally the horror of guns, and to defend them as your right is just plain ignorant. They fall in the wrong people's hands over and over again.
Unarmed there is no way to protect ourselves from those who mean leathal harm. If you choose the role of an unarmed victim in waiting that is your right. Just don't use laws to make me surrender my ability to defend myself and the one's I love from a lethal threat.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-09-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,035,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I would assume that the fact that her husband was shot has made it impossible for her to be rational about guns.
Perhaps if he had had a gun of his own at the time, he could have defended himself. If anything, it would make me MORE pro-gun.

People who are willing to KILL YOU, don't care if having a gun is "against the law". To them it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Thank goodness that pro-gun America has strong lobbies in DC.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
How DOES a crazy person get a gun?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,812,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They don't,legally anyway.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,539,611 times
Quote:
In many states it is very easy. The guy who sold the Virginia Tech shooter his assault weapon said he seemed "off".

But what the heck a sale is a sale!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Well, whether you agree with him or not AZ has been in the national news for at least a year regarding laws manifested from a bigoted stance.

Did AZ eliminate cultural programs from schools? Is AZ lilly white or are there large populations of Hispanics and Native Americans? If so, why eliminate cultural programs and classes?

Did an AZ school district demand a 'repainting' of a mural because there were 'too many brown' faces in the mural?

Fact is AZ has been in the news because of incendiary, bigoted rhetoric for a while now, so what do you expect? I've not spent much time in AZ, so I don't know personally what its like, but it's looked poorly in the news for the last year or so.
Here is the reason for the cultural program issue

The law authorizes the state superintendent to stop any ethnic studies classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government, promote resentment toward a race or class of people, are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group or advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.

Arizona education chief moves to ban ethnic studies in Tucson schools - CNN.com

Details on the 'Mural'

Art Attack: Elementary school mural getting a 'lighter' facelift - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Everything looks poorly in the news based on your opinions
read and learn

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
If they have been adjudicated as mentally instable they cannot legally purchase a firearm in the USA. That is the law as it already exists.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,968,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It will fizzle out like a Pelosi fart in the Obama wind of change, but still it's pretty sad and sickening that a lawmaker would try to leverage this event for more laws.

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill - Shira Toeplitz - POLITICO.com

Well Mrs McCarthy's husband and 17 other Long Islanders were were brutally murdered on a LIRR traiin by a man called Colin Ferguson who kinda did what this fine young white boy did in Tucson yesterday. What is truly sickening and disgusting is the response of a sniveling gutless nation that did nothing for Mr McCarthy and his grieving wodow over a decade ago and will do nothing today and may make it possible for the Glocks of the world to market a fully automatic easily concealable pistol with an even bigger magazine. Matbe even market a dumdum round so when you get a head shot those nice surgeons at the trauma center wont be able to do much for the victim.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,812,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
In many states it is very easy. The guy who sold the Virginia Tech shooter his assault weapon said he seemed "off".

But what the heck a sale is a sale!
What assault weapon was that?
Also do you think that the seller should choose who he feels he should sell to based upon looks/what they think of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.