Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times

Advertisements

We don't need a law like this, but a movement to promote civility in politics, and in society in general. And one that's not led by Jon Stewart since he's a polarizing figure himself.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Of course I know causation and correlation do not necessarily have to link.

He made an astute observation. I did not see him on CNN but can agree with his statement that AZ has become a mecca for prejudice and bigotry. This, along with loose guns laws, leads to a dangerous situation.

This is why I am surprised more violence has not occurred.
Do you believe that racists the world over are going to Arizona to pray at the altar of prejudice and bigotry? That would be the current usage of the word "mecca". It is a place that draws like minds from other places for a common motivation.
Do you live in AZ? If you don't then how do you know that racists are flocking to AZ?

The sheriff made a knee-jerk comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If there was any question where this guy was coming from this should erase it. He is purely political and frankly disgusting.

Megyn Kelly Debates Arizona Sheriff | Political Rhetoric | Mediaite
Thanks for the clip shorebaby. I can't believe the level of unprofessionalism this sheriff is exhibiting in light of the events. Truly shocking. He needs to resign IMO.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I do not believe in guns, never did, never will. Brings me back to my childhood when I was absolutely appalled that my father went hunting, HORRIBLE. What irritates me even more are the people that keep guns in the homes where there are children, and people with mental issues. NO ONE who has mental issues, depression, or ANY of that should own a gun, and I don't believe they should be around children. Don't give me this crap about your rights either. I know personally the horror of guns, and to defend them as your right is just plain ignorant. They fall in the wrong people's hands over and over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Well Mrs McCarthy's husband and 17 other Long Islanders were were brutally murdered on a LIRR traiin by a man called Colin Ferguson who kinda did what this fine young white boy did in Tucson yesterday. What is truly sickening and disgusting is the response of a sniveling gutless nation that did nothing for Mr McCarthy and his grieving wodow over a decade ago and will do nothing today and may make it possible for the Glocks of the world to market a fully automatic easily concealable pistol with an even bigger magazine. Matbe even market a dumdum round so when you get a head shot those nice surgeons at the trauma center wont be able to do much for the victim.
you two need to get a grip on reality. do bad things happen to good people? yes they do. should children be able to get their hands on guns? only if around responsible adults, and are learning gun safety.

as for fully automatic handguns, they are NOT legal in this country without the proper permits.

as for so called dumdum rounds, you need to learn about firearms, and the rounds they fire before you make inane comments like this. hollow point rounds have been around for many decades. they are outlawed on the battlefield, but they are used by police around the world. a number of years ago winchester put out a round called the black talon, and a few congressman got the round outlawed for sale to the general public. why? because a few cops had been killed by black talon rounds which according to them were cop killers. the reality is that the black talon round was no different from any other hollow point round in performance, in fact winchester markets a hollow point round that is in fact identical to the black talon round, except that it is not black.

do some real research before spreading lies, and half truths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The clip that was used in this attack, was previously banned. Who the hell needs a gun that shoots off 30 rounds without reloading??
not true. the magazine was likely a pre ban magazine, or more likely a post ban magazine that became legal again when the assault weapons ban law hit its sunset and was not renewed. the number of rounds that a magazine holds is not an issue anyway, except in the minds of those that wish to ban guns period. even if you decide to limit magazine capacity to ten rounds, then i will have not only a number of ten round magazines, but i will have multiple firearms as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Just watched FOX interview Joe, one of the people who held the shooter down. He had a gun himself, ran out of the store next door, hand on his gun in his pocket, safety off. When he got to the scene, one of the crowd had already gotten the gun away from the shooter. Joe, indicated he is ready to use his gun, his father taught him all about them, no other training, to Joe's credit, he did not shoot the man holding the gun, instead he helped hold the shooter down. Joe said he had about 1-2 secs to decide, luckily he chose right. What if he had not? Do you think people should rely on other Joe's to be, as Joe said, lucky to have made the right decision? I wonder also, as it was a surprise to the FOX people that Joe had a gun, would FOX have aired that?
this is the essence of responsible gun owners. if the need to fire his weapon was there, then he would likely have fired his weapon. since the shooting was over at that point, he choose to keep his firearm holstered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Guess the message hasn't gotten out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T77oVIRcVg
Quote:
Joe did alright, no doubt. I just don't know how well Tom, Dick or Harry would react, apparently you think you do.n And are willing to bet your life on that.
again, the glock 18c is not available to the general public. unless you have the proper permits, you cannot go out and buy one.

Quote:
No! They are trained physically, mentally and with their equipment. Not to mention, regularly evaluated as to their competence.
and yet the rate at which police hit their intended target is LOWER than the general public. yeah good choice there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As I recall following the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan it was a well placed Republican who lobbied for and won the passage of major gun legislation.
that was sarah brady, and she was hardly a true republican. in fact she was a rino how had anti gun view points before her husband was shot. and dont forget that the brady bill was passed only because it was reagan that was shot. had it not been the president that was targeted, that bill would likely have died in committee.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As I recall following the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan it was a well placed Republican who lobbied for and won the passage of major gun legislation.
Who are you referring to?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The sheriff is clearly right. Both political sides should give their agendas a reality check and chill with the increasingly hateful rhetoric. And this thread is further proof of that.
Agreed.
I think that the sheriff was very brave to say what he did. I've already seen some very hateful remarks directed at him from people in his district and beyond. It would seem that his points have already been well-proven.
I think that it time for reflection on all sides.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It will fizzle out like a Pelosi fart in the Obama wind of change, but still it's pretty sad and sickening that a lawmaker would try to leverage this event for more laws.

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill - Shira Toeplitz - POLITICO.com
Whats sad is that someone is outraged and "sickened" by a proposal for legislation and not feeling the same about 6 dead people.

Talk about misplaced outrage, its the same lunatics who oppose ANY gun control legislation AND those who support the paranoid, delusional sanctuary that this Tuscon shooter took refuge in.

But when people get shot, he all of a sudden "isnt one of us"....

Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Yet another FAIL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Guess the message hasn't gotten out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T77oVIRcVg
The G18 is not available for civilian consumers, period. It is limited to law enforcement and military only and actually just became available to LE agencies very recently.

If you do not believe me regarding fully automatic pistols just look up the federal laws on the BATFE website. It is so much easier to spread lies and propaganda for you though isn't it?

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

Anyone who doesn't know squat can post a youtube video for shock effect. However, only the sheeple will buy lies. Too bad you actually ran up against someone in this thread who knows firearms and the federal firearm laws. So sad, too bad.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Let's not forget, his is an elected vice an appointed position. He is as much a politician as any other given his status as an elected official. In my personal opinion, he is letting his political opinions temper his speech when the nation is looking to him for his observations as a law enforcement official instead of a politician. Unfortunate.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
I believe the Sheriff is a Democrat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies