Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 AM

30,328 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence at all...

I don't know a single rapist,does that mean there are no rapists????
If most people you knew did something that was linked to raping, and none of them were rapists, it might hold some weight. But like you said, my comments were merely anecdotal - I didn't expect anyone to believe that was a scientific study. I never said schizophrenics don't exist, either, so your argument is somewhat flawed.

Quote:
It exacerbates the Schizophrenia...
Now that, I would agree with... but would their schizophrenia be nonexistent (or even under control) without the marijuana? That is the real question, if you want to make connections between the two.

Quote:
The shooter seems to be mentally unbalanced.Pot is a drug that affects the mind,like alcohol.
If he was a heavy drinker you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this,it seems you simply do not like the idea YOUR drug of choice DOES have side effects that CAN lead to serious mental problems....
Nope, you're wrong. I would say the same thing, that he was mentally unbalanced with or without the liquor! Although alcohol really DOES occasionally lead to violent behavior, but it's usually in the form of fist fights - not mass murder. For someone to commit a mass murder, they have something wrong with their head, regardless of the substances they might use.

P.S. While I'm not much of a drinker, I do drink from time to time... so it's not like I'm anti-alcohol, plus I know how each affects the brain firsthand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Of course,I shouldn't pay for you....

It is your life decision,you suffer the consequences.

Having worked closely with potheads,cokeheads and drunks,(restaurant business is GREAT) I wouldn't hire any of them...

Go be a beggar on the street,you aren't my concern.
Not that it relates to ME directly, since I'm not a recipient of public assistance... but if everyone who did something unhealthy or stupid had to sign your waiver, we'd have a LOT of people begging on the streets! This issue (testing welfare recipients) has already been debated to death, however, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Now that, I would agree with... but would their schizophrenia be nonexistent (or even under control) without the marijuana? That is the real question, if you want to make connections between the two.
So pot DOES have an effect upon people...that is all quote from the Swedish study(you read the study right?) really stated,there was a much higher chance of being diagnosed with schizophrenia after heavy use.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well what is interesting is that there there is no history of this guy showing up to any Palin rally or even reading any book written by a Conservative, but the liberals are hell-bent on trying to make conservatives the whole reason he committed his terrible acts - but there is a definite history of marijuana use - but since that isn't convenient to their agenda of censorship, the liberals claim nothing in his actual left-leaning pot head past could be related in any way.
How do you know what every "liberal" in the country is thinking? Pretty neat.

I'm an independent-libertarian, so I just think you're ALL to blame!! j/k

Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not that it relates to ME directly, since I'm not a recipient of public assistance... but if everyone who did something unhealthy or stupid had to sign your waiver, we'd have a LOT of people begging on the streets! .
Fine by me,it will reduce the deficit...and the population.

Personal responsibility can be a ******.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
So pot DOES have an effect upon people...that is all quote from the Swedish study(you read the study right?) really stated,there was a much higher chance of being diagnosed with schizophrenia after heavy use.
If it didn't do anything to you, what would be the point of it?

It alters your mental state. For the vast majority of people, this is a pleasant experience with no significant side effects.

No one predisposed to mental illness should take any mind-altering substance outside the supervision of a physician.

It's not a surprise that such a correlation would exist, but it does not establish that cannabis is a causal factor, as the OP study clearly says.

It may be that is exacerbates a pre-existing condition, or that people with a propensity tend to use pot more to help with the symptoms. It is very effective at treating acute anxiety, for example.

Some people are allergic to penicillin. Should we outlaw it on that basis, for everyone else? How about peanuts?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The AZ man who went on a murderous shooting spree in Tucson, AZ was a marijuana user.

The link to cannibis and schizophrenia and/or schizophrenic like symptoms is well documented.

So, why are people rushing to blame "the gun" this murderer used instead of the marijuana that likely contributed to his psychotic mindset be it that specific day or as a user over a number of years?

Are Marijuana and Schizophrenia Linked?
However, whether cannabis causes a persistent de novo psychosis independent of any other risk factors is not supported by the existing literature.

From your article ^

There is no link to schizophrenia from any credible source. There is evidence that adolescents using cannabis have problems later on. Guess what, same thing with alcohol consumption and minors as well.

Long story short, people under the age of 20 shouldn't be taking drugs, any drug. Their brain chemistry and growth is simply to vital at the later stages of teen human development.

But saying that smoking pot is causing people to go schizo is just simply not true, and even the article you posted says that. Not to mention the article is on about.com and doesn't offer links to studies. The studies it mentions uses words like "might" and "maybe", which aren't scientific at all.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
If it didn't do anything to you, what would be the point of it?

It alters your mental state. For the vast majority of people, this is a pleasant experience with no significant side effects.

No one predisposed to mental illness should take any mind-altering substance outside the supervision of a physician.

It's not a surprise that such a correlation would exist, but it does not establish that cannabis is a causal factor, as the OP study clearly says.

It may be that is exacerbates a pre-existing condition, or that people with a propensity tend to use pot more to help with the symptoms. It is very effective at treating acute anxiety, for example.

Some people are allergic to penicillin. Should we outlaw it on that basis, for everyone else? How about peanuts?
Should a 9 year old be allowed to smoke pot if the child chooses and the parents do not mind?

If no,why not?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
There are also studies to refute the claims, such as those outlined in this article: Does Marijuana Cause Schizophrenia? | Robert Lindsay

But the bottom line is that I'm not a scientist, so I don't know the connections... but they're all in agreement you must already have schizophrenia, and ALL substances might exacerbate the condition. Therefore if you have any signs of this mental illness, it's best to avoid drugs & alcohol altogether.

That wasn't the question presented in this thread, however, so you're just trying to deflect now... it was asked if marijuana smokers are "ticking time bombs," and the answer is no. Well, I guess the naturally angry people are still angry, but I think if anything a hit off a bong would mellow out those folks.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
However, whether cannabis causes a persistent de novo psychosis independent of any other risk factors is not supported by the existing literature.

From your article ^

There is no link to schizophrenia from any credible source. There is evidence that adolescents using cannabis have problems later on. Guess what, same thing with alcohol consumption and minors as well.
Exactly... and doesn't schizophrenia typically present itself around age 18-20 (coincidentally when these subjects were first observed), and progress over time without proper treatment? I think if you followed any untreated group of schizophrenics from age 18-33, they'd all get worse in that time period - with or without smoking pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies