Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I for one am NOT questioning the moment of silence. It should have been done, I agree.

I am questioning why Obama felt the NEED to be TELEVISED during the moment of silence.
Are you kidding me?

How else is the POTUS supposed to address the nation to join together in a moment of silence?

What was he to do? Send smoke signals? Use the Pony Express? Text everybody in the country?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
I for one am NOT questioning the moment of silence. It should have been done, I agree.

I am questioning why Obama felt the NEED to be TELEVISED during the moment of silence.
Oh for Pete's sake...because it was a NATIONAL MOMENT OF SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Know what N A T I O N A L means????DUH!!!!!!

Good GAWD! Did ya check out what color of tie he had on? Was it an appropriate color or do you think he should be impeached ...????

Why don't you just post , "I hate Obama". ..and let it go at that!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It's called "setting the example." Leaders are supposed to do that.
Can someone find a leader, please?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Are you kidding me?

How else is the POTUS supposed to address the nation to join together in a moment of silence?

What was he to do? Send smoke signals? Use the Pony Express? Text everybody in the country?

Lol!! I like the "text" idea. Since of course many respond to text messages more urgently than they do anything else....

One good thing a thread like this does is encourage some people, like me, to have a few more moments of "honored silence." I feel like the criticisms in this thread are symbolic of the disgrace and disrespect citizens show to victims of all sorts of tragedies, because they are so intent on trying to expose a public figure in some way or another. I am somehow reminded, in this thread, of the awful protestors who insisted on waving their banners at the services of fallen soldiers. It's all on a level of just pure disgrace.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Can someone find a leader, please?
You have one. Your inability to acknowledge him, even in a technical sense, is your problem.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
So ok we're upset that the POTUS asked for a moment of silence and then that he did it on television?

Hmmmkay

Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
But why not for the victims at Fort Hood? Why now and not then?

Both were incidents of mass murder by a man with a gun shooting indiscriminately at innocent people. Please answer the question.
This was an attempt to murder a member of Congress.
A Federal judge was murdered along with a staffer of Gifford's, a 9 year old girl and 3 senior citizens.

President Obama gave a memorial eulogy for the victims of the Fort Hood shootings.

Both acknowledgements by the White House were respectful and appropriate.

I don't see the issue....all I see is an attempt to make a dig at President Obama no matter how tasteless and offensive the baseless accusation.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama announced he would hold a national moment of silence (held this am) to honor the victims of the Tucson murders on Saturday. Why now? Why did he not call for a national moment of silence for the thirteen victims of the Islamic jihaddist at the Fort Hood mass murder?

What is the criteria for a national moment of silence for our current POTUS? Is it only those incidents from which he can profit politically? Is this politicalization on Obama's part anything more than an attempt to garner support for the upcoming gun control legislation? Why else now and not before?

Pres. Obama Calls for National Moment of Silence - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Perhaps you should observe a few thousand moments of silence to make up for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But seriously, why do those against prayer always hold prayer ceremonies AFTER a catastrophe?
I'm against prayer. I haven't held, not partook, in any prayer ceremonies.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Are you kidding me?

So where Obama during the Ft. Hood shootings? Don't remember seeing him during that moment of silence????

Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
So where Obama during the Ft. Hood shootings?
Not at Fort Hood. That much is certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Don't remember seeing him during that moment of silence????
I suspect you didn't see him this time either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies