Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Uhhh...

Miss, the problem ain't on my end. I tossed that out there to see if I could elicit a serious reply. Nope. You continued to make half-assed jokes complete with internet-speak. HERP-DERP. Don't you come cryin' to anyone when reality bites you in the ass. You asked for it.

It's your choice to not want a firearm. You can scream all day nothing is gonna happen to you. Unless you can predict the events every day up until to your death, you won't know squat. Really, is preparation hard? The dangers are there, and they're real. Humor isn't going to defuse squat.
OK - here's a serious response - you really should be careful about stating or implying that someone who uses satire to express an opinion about gun ownership is "asking" for anything (rape, violence, something biting my ass...).

From a purely "serious" standpoint - it not only gets you dangerously close to discussion board offenses that will get you censored by the mods, it tends to deflate your self-righteous argument, and only serves to reinforce the opinion of those who think that all gun owners are intolerant Yosemite Sams who believe in lynch mob justice.

If I wasn't such a smart, serious cookie, I would think you were saying that you wanted me to get attacked so that I would finally agree with you about gun ownership. But I know that's not true - it was just your mature way of expressing your serious concern about what some perceive to be a violation of their constitutional right with the decline of accessibility to firearms for law-abiding citizens who love their families, and only want to protect their loved ones.

I'm sure that's what you meant to say, and if I would just stop using... what was that grown-up phrase... oh yes, "internet-speak" to express my opinion about guns, I could finally be free to have an intelligent discourse about why I'm wrong.

Here - see if this lady can drum up a slightly more "serious" tone and actually contribute something meaningful to the conversation: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post17362563

Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
You go girl!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
OK - here's a serious response - you really should be careful about stating or implying that someone who uses satire to express an opinion about gun ownership is "asking" for anything (rape, violence, something biting my ass...).

From a purely "serious" standpoint - it not only gets you dangerously close to discussion board offenses that will get you censored by the mods, it tends to deflate your self-righteous argument, and only serves to reinforce the opinion of those who think that all gun owners are intolerant Yosemite Sams who believe in lynch mob justice.

If I wasn't such a smart, serious cookie, I would think you were saying that you wanted me to get attacked so that I would finally agree with you about gun ownership. But I know that's not true - it was just your mature way of expressing your serious concern about what some perceive to be a violation of their constitutional right with the decline of accessibility to firearms for law-abiding citizens who love their families, and only want to protect their loved ones.

I'm sure that's what you meant to say, and if I would just stop using... what was that grown-up phrase... oh yes, "internet-speak" to express my opinion about guns, I could finally be free to have an intelligent discourse about why I'm wrong.

Here - see if this lady can drum up a slightly more "serious" tone and actually contribute something meaningful to the conversation: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post17362563

I dont want you or anyone else to get attacked. I look at firearms this way, for those that dont have a clue, firearms are a tool and a form of insurance, just as you would have insurance on your home, a fire extinguisher in your car/home, life insurance on yourself or loved one.

that firearm is my insurance for when the cops are not there and are not going to get there until after the crooks have already left. to protect myself and my family is a form of insurance I can have, and it is my responsibility to do so.

my wife and all 3 of my daughters know gun safety and how to hunt as well. if someone does not want to use a firearm and rely on themselves or someone else to protect them, then I dont fault them for their choice.

but limiting my choices in protecting my family just because of 1 bad apple is just plain wrong, and I will do what I can to protect that right.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont want you or anyone else to get attacked. I look at firearms this way, for those that dont have a clue, firearms are a tool and a form of insurance, just as you would have insurance on your home, a fire extinguisher in your car/home, life insurance on yourself or loved one.

that firearm is my insurance for when the cops are not there and are not going to get there until after the crooks have already left. to protect myself and my family is a form of insurance I can have, and it is my responsibility to do so.

my wife and all 3 of my daughters know gun safety and how to hunt as well. if someone does not want to use a firearm and rely on themselves or someone else to protect them, then I dont fault them for their choice.

but limiting my choices in protecting my family just because of 1 bad apple is just plain wrong, and I will do what I can to protect that right.
WELL SAID!!!!! Thank you.

I don't entirely agree, but that was an excellent post.

I still think hunting is mean.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
...we need enforcement
Then tell the NRA to either lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!

Back in the day when I worked as a journalist, I had the opportunity to cover both local and federal cops, in particular a DEA joint taskforce that worked as a street unit looking for guns in the hands of felons which then fast tracked them into the Federal system. Frankly, I don't know what more they could have done. But it appears that in the present situation and that of VA, state governments backed by the NRA are more fearful of the gun lobby than getting potential violent criminals into the system.

For example, local law enforcement KNEW that this guy was a danger to the community, but was he placed on the states provisional list for approval of a handgun purchase... no! So what do you expect from the public other to demand that government do something!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
ANY gun regulations are an infringement prohibited by the Constitution.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
ANY gun regulations are an infringement prohibited by the Constitution.
Maybe so... but... is that all you have? I mean... this is important! Lives are at stake. All I've heard from the gun advocates is that because some anarchist types 224 years ago decided to reserve the option of armed insurrection for themselves... just in case... we have a situation where 10K's of people are being killed off annually. Have I about summed it up? Jesus H. Christ even the DOT revisited the resistance to airbags on the part of automakers and made them mandatory. Look what happened... not only driver side but passenger side, side impact and whoopie cushion air-bag deployment schemes. Hapless American drivers can now survive accidents in which even the make and model of the vehicle cannot be determined. The DOT didn't mandate all of that, it just took the natural tendecy for one upmanship on the part of American Captains of Industry.
Sensible restrictions on the caliber, capabilities and sophistication on the guns that can be sold if made law would turn into a race to the small the competition... a good thing IMO.

The Constitution was not written by GOD, and it was written in 17?? for cripes sake. Give me a real argument over why the average American needs a Glock semi-automatic 9mm handgun as part of their personal protection scheme?! Telling me about 200 year old documents is a COP OUT. The gun advocates had better begin to get serious in formulating a cogent argument for law enforcement grade weaponry for hot tempered, right wing, curmudgeons besides: it says so in the Constitution... it says a lot of other things in the Constitution... I haven't seen that trained professionals with the right to open carry can defend themselves against sudden attack let alone Oscar Homeowner with the 'peacemaker' stashed upstairs in the nightstand drawer (with the safety on so cuddles...) can feel 'safe'. Move to a better neighborhood? Invest in passive security devices. How about non-lethal weaponry like TAZERS? Yes they have killed some people... but at least you have made a good faith effort not to kill them. Spit happens.

Thanks to data I obtained from this thread I now know why so many of you are complete *******s out in the real world. You have 1.5lb chips on your shoulders thanks to CCW laws in your jurisdictions. So what if you never actually fire your weapons. And you like it this way.... As I have said, I have no dog in this fight. All my neighbors are armed and I haven't seen it make the slightest difference in the way they experience life in our neighborhood vs myself. Personally I don't think it would be the right thing to open fire on a meth-head stealing your electric drill. There has got to be another way...

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 01-12-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Ever notice the big anti-gun crowd all live in the same handful of states? States in which rights for many things have gone down the tubes.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Ever notice the big anti-gun crowd all live in the same handful of states? States in which rights for many things have gone down the tubes.
No. I have not noticed this.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No. I have not noticed this.
Thumb through the thread. It's pretty obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies