Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Oh, if it is true, someone has some blood on their hands.

Sure does go a long way to explain the sheriff's anti-Palin rant.

If this is true, Sheriff Dupnik would have known he really effed up as soon as the story broke.

Sheriff Dupnik’s Culpability | Hennessy's View

Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
Do you think the libs will just sweep this one under the rug? I don't see how they can - this is huge.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
If Dupnik is the guilty party, do you think the liberal media would like their crow served with horseradish or ketchup?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM

52,547 posts, read 34,259,842 times
from today's Arizona Republic:

Quote:
With each passing hour, we learn more about the 22-year-old suspect. And everything we learn adds to the profile of a deeply troubled young man detached from reality. There is nothing to date that suggests any partisan motivation for his crimes, whether right-wing or left.

Dupnik needs to recall that he is elected to be a lawman. With each additional comment, the Democratic sheriff of Pima County is revealing his agenda as partisan, and, as such, every bit as recklessly antagonistic as the talk-show hosts and politicians he chooses to decry.

Pima County sheriff should remember duty

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hold on to your socks kids!

Loughner's mother is Sheriff Dupnik's supervisor.

Speculation is Sheriff kept him out of nut ward at mother's requiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Oh, if it is true, someone has some blood on their hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
It was just a matter of time before the connection of the
Sheriff, Loughner and his family comes in full view !

I do wonder what type of influence does the Sheriff have
over Loughner, Political or otherwise or if Loughner just
misunderstood and went to far
Quote:
According to what I read, Loughner was threatening everyone and their brother and even got arrested several times. DHS is wondering why no convictions...me too.

FOX News - Top Stories - How Did Gunman Pass Background Check?

Quote:
Sure does go a long way to explain the sheriff's anti-Palin rant.

If this is true, Sheriff Dupnik would have known he really effed up as soon as the story broke.

People need to read more carefully. The link says that Loughner's mother WORKS FOR the Board of Supervisors, NOT that she IS HIS SUPERVISOR. Assuming that she does work in some capacity for the Board, that does NOT compel a conclusion that the fact that she works for the county has anything to do with any of the shooter's history, etc.

Last edited by observer53; 01-11-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
People need to read more carefully. The link says that Loughner's mother WORKS FOR the Board of Supervisors, NOT that she IS HIS SUPERVISOR. Assuming that she does work in some capacity for the Board, that does NOT compel a conclusion that the fact that she works for the county has anything to do with any of the shooter's history.
With all due respect, this shooting doesn't compel the conclusion that any political rhetoric did either.

Last edited by observer53; 01-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: to reflect edited quote

Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,981,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This guy is truly the most unprofessional law enforcement official I have ever seen. It is NOT his job to give us his opinion on the state of political discourse in this country. His ONLY responsibility is to investigate this crime and report on the facts, which he is not doing.

He has not one shred of evidence to back up his partisan rhetoric. He should be replaced, as in my view, he is jeopardizing the prosecution of the murderer.
Check out some of these facts Sanrene...

Quote:
The bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," he said. "And unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become sort of the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

1) fighting dr. king's birthday as a holdiay
2) the white vigilanates aresting immimgrants in cohcise county a ways back
3) the recent banning of chicano classes (but not those of other ethnic groups) in high schools
4) the infamous SB70
5) the absolutely nuts sheriff joe arpaio

that's just the short list I can think of. arizona may not be ground zero in this country for bigotry, but i dont think you can explain all that away as just coincidence or isolated incidents. something's really rotten in the state of arizona. how can anyone deny it?
From the CD Tucson forum.

Sanrene,

Rather than speak from some far away place, why not try checking out the actual TUCSON forum on CD from people in the know? I guess you in CHICAGO would know better.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
With all due respect, this shooting doesn't compel the conclusion that any political rhetoric did either.
Also true. I didn't say it did.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hmmmm...maybe that is why this sheriff came out with his partisan, political, divisive speculation with not a shred of evidence to back it up.
He said he wanted people to tone down their rhetoric. Now, I don't see a connection between anyone's rhetoric and the killings, but how was his statement partisan, or even political?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM

607 posts, read 956,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Check out some of these facts Sanrene...

From the CD Tucson forum.

Sanrene,

Rather than speak from some far away place, why not try checking out the actual TUCSON forum on CD from people in the know? I guess you in CHICAGO would know better.
You realize you are cherrypicking to support YOUR feelings, right? From the same thread you pulled your post:

Quote:
How do Tucson residents view the Sheriff's remarks? While this is a horrible tragedy, I felt his comments were not appropriate and irresponsible to label our community as being the mecca for bigotry. I don't agree with that and was disappointed to see one of our leaders make that comment. However, how did Tucson residents receive his remarks? Arizona is now being discussed as a mecca for bigotry and hate in large part due to the Sheriff's comments which I feel don't serve this community well when in reality this incident had little if anything to do with bigotry but the tragic actions of a mentally disturbed individual. Why should the entire community be held responsible for one madman's actions? If anything, I saw our community come together during and after this incident whether we are talking about the heroic efforts by members to tackle the man and risk their lives or the intern who remained with her to the doctors, nurses and hospital staff who reacted quickly to the members who appeared at the vigil.
Quote:
He's an idiot and I hope the voters get rid of that old fool next election.
Quote:
Yep, part of the old fool network which permeates the city & county.

Nothing like added negative publicity for Tucson.
Quote:
Sheriff Dupnik is the saddest excuse for a sheriff ever, AZRiverfan.

Quote:
Sheriff Dupnik is known for his ridiculous "off the wall" public comments.

Quote:
Sheriff Dupnik has been pulling stunts like this for many years, that's why many of HIS people don't like to see him get in front of a Microphone. Quite simply though the people keep re-electing him mainly because of the (D) behind his name.
That's just pulling 5 of the first 6 posts in the thread - and the 6th was more a question than a statement.

I'm not claiming to "know" what Tuscon feels - I'm in Jersey awaiting yet another snowstorm - but it is obvious that there is, indeed, a split in Tuscon as well as everywhere else.

The full thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...w-sheriff.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.