Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's quite sad... I've never owned a gun, or lived in a house with a gun, and I don't feel unsafe or paranoid. And as mentioned above, I've lived in some REALLY bad neighborhoods! But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I grew up in California (SF area), where guns aren't part of the culture like they are in some places - so while I don't fear or hate them, I also don't feel they're a necessary part of life. Around here, the only people who typically carry guns are gangbangers... and while their aim isn't always the best, they usually stick with shooting each other. Natural selection, I guess? It's not like having a gun (especially at home) would help you avoid stray bullets in a drive-by, anyway.
There is truth to this....I live in an 'up and coming neighborhood' in a city (aka, a little dangerous) and every shooting that happens is between people who know each other.

When I moved here, I was told if I was going to get shot, it would be because I deserved it.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I can't say it any better than the cartoons..........
The Cartoonists respond... - Democratic Underground

your link just goes to show me and others how little the democrats really care abiout the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

maybe those of the DU should actually read those same documents rather than just read what others tell them what it says.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,305 times
What a stupid thread , the sick killer was a flag burning pot smoker , not a tea party member . The tea party rallies are peaceful . They fought with the power of the vote and won.
Its Democrat rallies against the Arizona Governor where you see violence.
The Godless cartoons are an embarrassment to Americans.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And I would feel no safer with one.
I believe there were studies done on this issue.
Do these studies include lives saved due to people being able to defend themselves?

Or do the studies just list numbers of victims?

I personally know four people who were able to defend their lives because they own a weapon. They'd be statistics on a slab if they had no defense. They were no billed by a Grand Jury in both cases. Perps ended up on slabs instead.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM

657 posts, read 697,407 times
You know, whenever you say anything that could remotely be interpreted as critizing the "american gun culture", you get a whole flock of hysterical people shouting how they need to defend themselves from attackers, burglars, rapists, murderers, maniacs and what not.

Now admittedly I have never been to the US, but you could surely get the impression that it must be a hell of a dangerous place, with all these people claiming how they have to defend themselves. I always thought the US was a rather safe country, however some people here portray it as if they lived in Baghdad or Afghanistan

If there really were so many dangerous people out there with nothing on their mind but to destroy your life and kill your family, I wonder why we don't all get slaugthered over here in Europe, like the defenseless sheep we are

Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
All I have to say to Both sides is:
"Some of You Will Never Learn"
Casper
Wow! That was..like..powerful man.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And how often have these criminals broken into your house?
What's the percentage of break-ins per capita in your area?

Silly argument fired by paranoia.
The same paranoia that causes people to buy homeowners insurance, keep a fire estinguisher and smoke alarms in their homes before they have a fire. The same paranoia that caused people to strap on a seatbelt before they have a car accident. The same paranoia that promts people to get the flu shot before they fall ill to influenza.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies