Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 AM

221 posts, read 453,117 times

Advertisements

I don't really like how easy it is for some people to get guns, but that fact of the matter is, if they were banned, all the law-abiding citizens would be gunless and all the outlaws would be armed and have the power to do what they please.

The US isn't like some small European country where you can pretty much eliminate all black market guns, even for criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes guns can kill people, and while killing is unfortunate it is not always considered a bad thing. The 80 year old woman (or anybody being attacked, maybe you) who kills or stops her 6ft 240lb attacker with her handgun who was going to rape and or kill her is not a bad thing.

So who is more important? The person that saved themself because guns were legal or the person who wasn't murdered by someone because the guns were illegal?
You don't get to make that call.
That's why we have laws, not vigilantes.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

and if firearms were declared illegal tomorrow, I would be one that you would call a vigilante, because I would not turn any of my firearms in.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

The point of my reply was pointing out that those who advocate bans and restrictions do exactly that, they decide for themselves to make the call for others. "You don't need that", "no reason to have that", are common quotes used. While a Glock for instance may be used in a crime it could just as well be used to protect life, so who's life is more important, the person it was used on in a crime or the person saved by one?. There isn't a real answer to that question except when it impacts you personally.

One dirty double standard is many times those that advocate banning you from a weapon have the very same one to protect themself but claim they need one because who they are, like a high profile politician or celebrity for example.

Then there is the fact that criminals will find access to one anyway.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
and if firearms were declared illegal tomorrow, I would be one that you would call a vigilante, because I would not turn any of my firearms in.
And what would the government do to you, in that case? Kill you.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You know, I've never claimed that I could. Or that bullets bounced off my chest. And it's that very fact that an UNSKILLED 5 year old child could kill me with a gun--on accident--and there would be absolutely no way to defend myself from it if I was more than 10 feet away at the time that makes me not like guns.

Not even having a gun of my own would keep the bullets from piercing my skin and killing me.

So...you're happy about weapons that you're defenseless against? By people that don't even need any skill to use them against you?
Naw it wasn't karma both guys were the type to give the very shirts off their backs, it was plain dumb they didn't have a defence for fire.

I never saw a 5 year old child un-supervised by a parent yet, or a gardian figure yet with a gun. On occasions these 5 year olds may create an accident. Like you I would not draw down on a child in that case myself. I'ld take the hit if I couldn't duck.

I have ducked and at ranges when a newbie grins for hitting a target and turns with the weapon pointed at everybody. They were a lot older than 5.

Some people get it and other never will. People use to be more mechanicly inclind once than they are now, and that ain't all that's wrong with society. Being 59 years means I watched it happen.

These days there s 2 generations that are simply wrapped up in the ME idea. 'ME' always comes first. A large scale sale at wally world shows what happens when to many 'ME' wait in a line and then the door opens and for cheap junk from China...

There are too many "ME''s driving, or predending they are driving, and they have near to no idea how to even drive anymore. Most can't even drive a standard tranny cage. And now they don't drive using any hands.

The simplest facts escape their alledged minds. It's no wonder our society is pooched. Then the idea comes up that if something can't be done by pressing a button, that what ever it is can't be done, which lends to the idea if I can't do it no one can.

I don't mean you in 'Me' or in 'I' in this sence.

In a few moments for the 2nd time today i will have to go plow snow, and that isn't done by the press of a button either.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Skills are valuable. Guns remove the skill from the equation.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

I wonder what that would be like myself. I'ld be standing there right next to you. I really don't care what the law says about that anymore.

I guess if the laws changed and were shown on the news and it was said a grace period to turn in my guns was valid from such and such date to a another date, I'ld just grin, and make sure my guns were locked and loaded.

Who's gonna take them? Somebody with a gun?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And what would the government do to you, in that case? Kill you.

just like they tried to do with quite a few famous people in our nations history. just because they outlaw it, does not mean it is right or legal.

bearing arms is a right, and unless there is a constitutional convention to remove that right, I shall not give up my firearms willingly.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,136,097 times
I disagree, guns do kill people.

Every day, about 75 American children are shot. Most recover — 15 do not.
The majority of fatal accidents involving a firearm occur in the home.
An adolescent is twice as likely to commit suicide if a gun is kept in the home.

Read more on FamilyEducation: The Facts About Kids and Guns - FamilyEducation.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies