Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It was not a school function. They used the place because it is the largest room in town.
Well, actually, the University is/was the organizer of the event.

http://uanews.org/node/36874

It was a memorial service, a community event, not particularly religious in character. (That said, there are invocations and benedictions at University commencements). I don't have an issue with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong, the tucson community center holds far more people that mckale center does. mckale was picked because it is more centrally located, and easier to get to.

as for obama and his speech, i am no fan of obamas, but in my opinion it was a great speech that he gave tonight.
I don't think so. These are the figures for the Arena, from the TCC website:

TCC Arena: 4,988 permanent seats, 2,724 bleacher seats, and floor capacity for 888.

Last edited by observer53; 01-13-2011 at 03:44 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
"If they bring a knife to the fight, then we'll bring guns".
Nothing screams fake/wannabe Chicagoan than quoting/rephrasing one of Sean Connery's character's lines in The Untouchables. If the man loves Chicago so much, why has he gone to Hawaii every year for Christmas since he became President? He's nothing but a carpetbagger that used and still is using many of the people of Chicago. It makes me sick.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
I thought the speech was mediocre at best. As one pundit stated, unlike other presidents before him, he "lacked the power of brevity." lol.

Obama does like to go on and on and hear himself speak. He also seemed awkward and unsure of himself when he referenced his faith and speaking about God. He did OK but nothing impressive.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
For Sarah Palin to play the "victim" role on a day that was reserved for honoring REAL "victims" was, to use one of the words she used, "reprehensible". For her to invoke and misuse the "blood libel" term in this context was, if possible, worse. Look presidential? Act presidential? No. As one of the commentators said last night, she didn't "dress for the job she wants", she "dressed for the job she has".

Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
So, was it an 'Ich bien ein Tucsoner' speech or just another O campaign speech?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
He did turn it into his campaign kickoff speech.

Disgusting.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Yes yes yes, it sounded like we are a very Christian Nation BUT liberals look the other way if another libbie does it, just like they looked the other way at all the hate speech from the left since these murders. Also I don't know how many times I have seen the left say if hussein obama or others in their camp mention God that they don't really mean it, they are just saying it for political points. All it is, is your run of the mill left winger hypocrisy.
Please have patience with us poor liberals. Not everyone can be as good a Christian as you and the members of the Westboro baptist Church.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
He did turn it into his campaign kickoff speech.

Disgusting.
In a campaign speech a politician says what they will do , I seem to remember this politician telling us what to do. By calling it a campaign speech is another way of people on the right tacitly admitting that he did a good job. I think this event will become a convenient tragedy for both sides.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It says she could open her eyes.
Obama got it wrong because it actually could be determined that she opened one eye as the other one is still bandaged.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
In a campaign speech a politician says what they will do , I seem to remember this politician telling us what to do. By calling it a campaign speech is another way of people on the right tacitly admitting that he did a good job. I think this event will become a convenient tragedy for both sides.

I saw the speech and I think it was very good. He was comfortable, he honored the victims, praised the heroes, and created an atmosphere of unity. There was not a hint of politics or campaigning in the speech. He mentioned the heated rhetoric, but he was talking about the rhetoric AFTER the shooting, not before, so he was actually telling the left to stop trying to blame the right for the shooting. Thumbs up. If people claim it was a campaign speech, it only means they think the speech was good enough to reflect positively in the next elections. In that sense you could call it a campaign speech, and you can call any apeech about anything a campaign speech, but if you look at the words and the message of the speech, everyone can see there was no campaigning in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies