Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
...about the Tucson shooting rampage from a memorial service to be held for its victims on Wednesday at the University of Arizona.

Obama has been pretty quiet since Saturday about
the political rhetoric surrounding this issue

I hope he makes a wise decision and does not bring it
up at this memorial service.

Obama Faces Tucson Test; Limbaugh Blamed, Again; Congress Mulls Schedule - FoxNews.com
Sarah Palins speech was about her, President Obama's speech was about the families, the community, and the country.

No comparison

Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Sarah Palins speech was about her, President Obama's speech was about the families, the community, and the country.

No comparison
Sarah Palin was responding to the attacks on her, which was appropriate given the intensity of the attacks. Yes, there was no comparison because the subject matter was completely different.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Sarah Palin was responding to the attacks on her, which was appropriate given the intensity of the attacks. Yes, there was no comparison because the subject matter was completely different.
Yeah, but she could have addressed it with a short press release, and let the wounds heal some before coming out with her "blood libel" stupid statement.

The President touched on the rhetoric last night, without making it about him or anyone person. Mrs. Palin needs to take notes, and get a Thesaurus.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah really. Even with a legitimate news story to back up the assertion, they still want to throw the accusation around.
Actually it was YOU that was making an accusation, one you Failed to pove out when asked to.

I told you - any time you expose a lie, that is considered "hate".
Thing is you did not expose a lie and when asked who was lieing your "source" or the husband you have refused to answer. I think we all Know who is telling lies and has been exposed and who the hater is and always has been.
Casper

Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:

No comparison
Obviously, you didn't listen to her speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
It was suppose to be a memorial serice and was turned into a pep rally complete with cheering students and t-shirts. The clapping and cheering after each victims name was read was odd. Obama seemed to go with the crowd and raised his voice like he was at a campaign rally.
Really Obama? Really?
Seems was a kickoff of his 2012 campaign, all about him, all the time.

It was really quite distasteful to watch.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but she could have addressed it with a short press release, and let the wounds heal some before coming out with her "blood libel" stupid statement.

The President touched on the rhetoric last night, without making it about him or anyone person. Mrs. Palin needs to take notes, and get a Thesaurus.
I disagree based upon the sheer volume and intensity of the attacks. Really, some of them were quite unfounded. I can understand if someone does not agree with her; fine. However, to say that she had blood on her hands for these murders is neither appropriate nor accurate.

Again, I think the blood libel statement "controversy" is being exaggerated and per recent news articles that used the term and even Alan Dershowitz, the modern connatation is not controversial. I do have a question though. Let's say she made a simple press release. Do you really think that would have satisfied her critics?

Quote:
Obviously, you didn't listen to her speech.

Oh but I did. Most of that speech was all about her.

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
She did not misuse the term. And isn't it funny that when it was used here;

Glenn Reynolds: The Arizona Tragedy and the Politics of Blood Libel - WSJ.com

The Arizona Tragedy and the Politics of Blood Libel

Two days before she used it, NO ONE batted an eyelash.

» Exclusive: Alan Dershowitz Defends Sarah Palin’s Use of Term ‘Blood Libel’ - Big Government

And of course after enduring days of attacks, smears and libel from the Left and the media, she is not allowed to defend herself and respond to those attacks.

Her little speech was excellent and I wonder how many actually listened to it. Of course her critics will try and find something wrong with...to attack her again.
I don't think any of the recent uses of that term are appropriate, so I'll agree with you there. To equate what she felt was done to her with the actual "blood libel" of the Middle Ages, when Jews were accused of killing Christian children and drinking their blood and using it to make mahtzoh-- not even close. (especially in the context of Rep. Giffords being Jewish, her use of it was particularly inappropriate. -- not to mention her posting it on a day to honor the REAL victims.) She can post what she wants on Facebook, where she can preach to her choir in her own defense. But, if she wants to be a national figure, (particularly if she wants to be President) she's going to have to do a better job of speaking to those outside her little circle, and face criticism even of her "defense". I realize that you believe that she can do no wrong, so I'm not attempting to change your mind here.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I disagree based upon the sheer volume and intensity of the attacks. Really, some of them were quite unfounded. I can understand if someone does not agree with her; fine. However, to say that she had blood on her hands for these murders is neither appropriate nor accurate.

Again, I think the blood libel statement "controversy" is being exaggerated and per recent news articles that used the term and even Alan Dershowitz, the modern connatation is not controversial. I do have a question though. Let's say she made a simple press release. Do you really think that would have satisfied her critics?
As I've said to various other folks.

If the attacks were so unfounded, then why the sudden need to defend yourself?

Personally when people accuse me of silly things, the accusation itself is proof enough of how out of reality the accuser is.

No need to give a speech about woe is me.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM

I will say this about the comment from Obama on her eyes are open part of his speech. I did recall hearing her eyes had been open earlier. I did research and found a few news articles that did indeed support that. However, I also found others that contradicted that.

After hearing the personal accounts of those that were there to experience this event in Rep Giffords hospital room, I am convinced that it was a fully truthful statement. Thus, I stand corrected and believe the previous articles that said she had already opened her eyes were mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies