Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ummm... you don't think Bush capitalized (politically) on 9/11? My, how soon we forget. Funny how the conservatives keep claiming the liberals are "making this a partisan issue," and yet they keep starting & posting on threads like this - with no purpose other than to bash Democrats & Obama. So what if the crowd's reaction was inappropriate? It's their right to react however they choose, and it's not like Obama asked them to applaud. Talk about making something out of nothing.
I know it seems crass to think about politics at a time like this, but politicians and their staffs HAVE to. From a strictly political point of view, and for reasons partly beyond their control, this incident has been a DISASTER for the Right, and particularly for the political fortunes of their icon, Sarah Palin.

On the otherhand, it gave Obama one of those tailor-made opportunities to fulfill his function as national leader, and he did a great job.

That is why the Right is reacting this way. They are frusrated, and flailing around. Usually, their message machine is much more disciplined and effective then the Dems, but in the case of this event, a certain meme (that Tea Party campaign tactics were to blame) took hold, and the GOP counterspin was largely ineffective for once.

Regardless of the merits of either side's arguments, the Right lost a round in the political arena this week, and they know it.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nope,this was a memorial for those killed...

Well it was supposed to be.
If you were actually paying attention you would have noticed that it was about the victims, but some here were obviously more interested in what was going on elsewhere at the memorial instead of what was being said.
Casper

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Why will Obama address the nation? Just for more air time in front of the camera?
He has nothing worth hearing to add.
Nobody cares what he spews anymore.
Will he apologize for his "If they bring knives, we bring guns" comment?

He is the POTUS and it is his job to address the nation
and I was surprised at his speech, I really enjoyed it and thought it was very up lifting, glad I still have an open mind~~

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you were actually paying attention you would have noticed that it was about the victims, but some here were obviously more interested in what was going on elsewhere at the memorial instead of what was being said.
Casper
Address your remarks to the poster who stated it was not just a memorial...

Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
For me the issue was the presence of Brewer, Kyl and McCain, leaders of the same party that held a fundraiser where you could shoot a full auto M-16 rifle at images of Gabby Giffords.
I really need to see proof of this event taking place. So far you are the only person saying this, and I have never seen you provide any proof.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
For me the issue was the presence of Brewer, Kyl and McCain, leaders of the same party that held a fundraiser where you could shoot a full auto M-16 rifle at images of Gabby Giffords.
There were no images of Giffords shot at. M-16 shoot yes; but not at images of her. You should be ashamed for just making stuff up; but, I truely believe some far left liberals are missing the decency gene.

It was flat out wrong, socially unacceptable, for anyone who went last night to pay their respects at was supposed to be a "memorial" to be booed for their presence.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There were no images of Giffords shot at. M-16 shoot yes; but not at images of her. You should be ashamed for just making stuff up
Remember when Obama called McCain a baby killer?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
How can this possibly be explained...at a supposed memorial....for the victims of a mass killing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rycZ...layer_embedded

Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I know it seems crass to think about politics at a time like this, but politicians and their staffs HAVE to. From a strictly political point of view, and for reasons partly beyond their control, this incident has been a DISASTER for the Right, and particularly for the political fortunes of their icon, Sarah Palin.

On the otherhand, it gave Obama one of those tailor-made opportunities to fulfill his function as national leader, and he did a great job.

That is why the Right is reacting this way. They are frusrated, and flailing around. Usually, their message machine is much more disciplined and effective then the Dems, but in the case of this event, a certain meme (that Tea Party campaign tactics were to blame) took hold, and the GOP counterspin was largely ineffective for once.

Regardless of the merits of either side's arguments, the Right lost a round in the political arena this week, and they know it.
Guess you didn't see the poll that said the majority of Americans said commentators saying the rhetoric was mostly trying to make conservatives look bad vice a legitimate point.
Most Doubt Political Rhetoric a Major Factor in Ariz. Shootings

Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ummm... you don't think Bush capitalized (politically) on 9/11? My, how soon we forget. Funny how the conservatives keep claiming the liberals are "making this a partisan issue," and yet they keep starting & posting on threads like this - with no purpose other than to bash Democrats & Obama. So what if the crowd's reaction was inappropriate? It's their right to react however they choose, and it's not like Obama asked them to applaud. Talk about making something out of nothing.
When the nation is attacked with a horrific act of war, I expect the president to condemn the people responsible, calm the fears and anxiety of the people, and rally the nation to its defense. This senseless shooting was not a national event, it was a local shooting by a lone, mentally ill person. This shooting is not even on par with some pissed off fired employee, who goes on a shooting rampage at his former work place. There is no national issue to rally around, unless increased awareness and treatment of the mentally ill is the national issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies