Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And you don't think his lawyers would do that - or call the sheriff as well for the out of line statements he has made?

IF (and its a big if) this dirtbag's very capable attorney tries to introduce statements of the POTUS as evidence in this case, she'll draw an objection, and the objection will be granted.

My money is on her having more sense than that. Trying to pull crap like that only damages your crediblity with the tribunal.

As for the sheriff, that's a slightly different story and might have more relevance due to his direct involvement and in his capacity as sheriff.

Apples and oranges.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Exactly the point. What obama said is in direct contradiction to the news reports of what the doctors said 2 days ago.

I just have to ask: Why would anyone believe a thing coming out of his mouth?
Here it is from Rep. Giffords' doctors, at a press conference, on video, from TODAY 1/13/11:

Doctor: Giffords has passed 'major milestone' - Health - Health care - More health news - msnbc.com

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
IF (and its a big if) this dirtbag's very capable attorney tries to introduce statements of the POTUS as evidence in this case, she'll draw an objection, and the objection will be granted.

My money is on her having more sense than that. Trying to pull crap like that only damages your crediblity with the tribunal.

As for the sheriff, that's a slightly different story and might have more relevance due to his direct involvement and in his capacity as sheriff.

Apples and oranges.
Quote:
As a legal matter, Obama's view (which tracks with the public narrative offered by Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik) may be irrelevant, but it probably doesn't help to have the President of the United States emphasizing the social aspect of Roll's stop to see Giffords on Saturday, rather than the reason prosecutors claim drew him there.
The feds say one thing about WHY he was there and obama contradicts them in his speech.

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
[quote=DRob4JC;17394510]Transcript is here.

TRANSCRIPT: Obama Address for Tucson Memorial Service

My only comment is for him to say this...

But at a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized, at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do, it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we're talking with each other in a way that -- that heals, not in a way that wounds.

... and ...

But what we cannot do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on each other.
I agree 100% with his words, do You?

... seems hypocritical after he tells Hispanics to punish their enemies, and to get in the faces of others, and bring guns to fight. I will wait to see if his tone changes from this point forward. All taken out of context and all in the past and as for guns mentioned in speeches I would not go there if I were someone from the right, even though I am a gunner owner mysef. Let's all start with a clean slate and we shall see what he does do from here on and we will also see what the talking heads from the right will do, and judge them all on their actions.

Other than that - no complaints from me.Good.[/quote]
Casper

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"A person familiar with the event confirmed the university put the event together, and was responsible for t-shirts, tickets, fliers, etc."

Conservatives Criticize Free T-Shirts At Tucson Memorial Service | TPMDC

"The college students created the logo, and passed out t-shirts for the event, possibly imbuing it with more of a pep rally feel."

BlogPost - Obama's Tucson speech: pep rally or memorial service?
Thanks, this has been bugging me.

LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Life really is defined by how you look at things.

A group of innocent people are gunned down by a mad man.
Most people look upon this as a senseless tragedy and are heartbroken.
Some people from both of the far ends of the spectrum seize upon this as a chance to score political points.

The president comes to Tuscon to meet with the victims and their families and make a healing speech.
Most people take comfort from having a president who cares enough to reach out to a hurting community.
Some people blame the president for coming and accuse him of using it for political purposes. Of course, had he not come, these same people would have blamed him for that and called him cold and uncaring.

The people in the audience at the memorial clap and cheer for every speaker.
Most people look upon this as the audience trying to show their support and get across the point that they honor these people and the occasion.
Some people ignore that fact that they cheered for everyone and claim these people are tasteless followers of Obama.

The husband of the congresswoman has the president announce that his wife opened her eyes for the first time that evening.
Most people feel this miracle is a hopful, wonderful thing about which they feel very happy.
Some people think; "Now how can I twist this to make it appear the president is a liar."

I could go on and on but I think I've made my point. The question we should perhaps all ask ourselves is; "How do I choose to look at the world? And why?"

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
The feds say one thing about WHY he was there and obama contradicts them in his speech.

I've got a big pile of So What for you on that one.

And that statement doesn't support your position.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
All taken out of context and all in the past
Yes, everything he says is taken out of context and in the past, isn't it? Yet HE has LED the nation with his partisan, divisive rhetoric, but that should all be forgiven as the media just focuses on the "right" side of the aisle, right?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The university (see post #658).
Yup, saw that, thanks.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Was That (http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2011/01/13/tucson-memorial-morphs-into-massive-political-pep-rally/ - broken link) A Memorial Or A Political Pep Rally? (//www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=15704546335&topic=47417 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies