Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm pretty sure we all know just WHO starting pointing fingers and making it a political issue before the blood even dried on the pavement.
No, not really... I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat, and the fingers appeared to be wagging in BOTH directions within an hour of the shooting.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, I've made mine too, without resorting to hurling insults and accusations that are baseless.
When you accuse the POTUS of lying when he states what the husband of the injured woman told him and which the interviews today of all the people who were in the room when she opened her eyes and the statements of the doctors today prove to be true I'd say you certainly did resort to hurling insults and accusations that are baseless......and everyone who can read knows it.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
The memorial service was held in the wrong venue and attended by a bunch of loudmouths who fully disrespected those who were killed and wounded in the tragic shooting last Saturday. It is sad indeed that the President was interrpted over 50 times by applause...Who the hell appplauds at a funeral memorial?

PBO should have laid out some ground rules for the audience. NO hooting, hollering, clapping or interruptions. He should have said his piece, bowed his head and asked for a moment of silence as he left the poduium. It shouldn't have been a rah rah rah sis koomb bah moment for anyone. No other speakers other than perhaps a Minister, Priest or a Rabbi should have been at that podium.

Otherwise, PBO should have merely broadcast his speech from the privacy of the White House so as to keep the speech in the decorum and delivered with the respect it should have been in a memorial to the dead and injured.

This was a shameless gathering, mostly of rambunctious and raukus jerks, who hyjacked this opportunity from a solemn occasion to honor the dead and the injured in this most horrible incident to a ceremony dominated by loud mouthed idiots who didn't seem to understand that memorials are solemn honorable moments to remember those who have fallen and been hurt through no fault of their own.

The first time the audience broke out in applause, PBO should have reminded them this was a memorial and that applause and interruption were not appropriate, but he didn't, and therefore he is suspect and irresponsible in this circus as well.
Yes, exactly. Good post.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post

The memorial service was held in the wrong venue and attended by a bunch of loudmouths who fully disrespected those who were killed and wounded in the tragic shooting last Saturday. It is sad indeed that the President was interrpted over 50 times by applause...Who the hell appplauds at a funeral memorial?

PBO should have laid out some ground rules for the audience. NO hooting, hollering, clapping or interruptions. He should have said his piece, bowed his head and asked for a moment of silence as he left the poduium. It shouldn't have been a rah rah rah sis koomb bah moment for anyone. No other speakers other than perhaps a Minister, Priest or a Rabbi should have been at that podium.

Otherwise, PBO should have merely broadcast his speech from the privacy of the White House so as to keep the speech in the decorum and delivered with the respect it should have been in a memorial to the dead and injured.

This was a shameless gathering, mostly of rambunctious and raukus jerks, who hyjacked this opportunity from a solemn occasion to honor the dead and the injured in this most horrible incident to a ceremony dominated by loud mouthed idiots who didn't seem to understand that memorials are solemn honorable moments to remember those who have fallen and been hurt through no fault of their own.

The firsttime the audience broke out in applause, PBO should have reminded them this was a memorial and that applause and interruption were not appropriate, but he didn't, and therefore he is suspect and irresponsible in this circus as well.
I find this to be such a strange assessment.

The applause and cheering were primarily for the victims and the heroes who helped save lives that day. It was loudest and longest when the President called attention to the people in the audience who tended to the Congresswoman, tackled the gunman and wrested away his ammunition. It would have been incredibly RUDE for the President to quiet cheering these amazing individuals. And just as rude for him to hush an audience when they applauded the mentions of each victim and their accomplishments, as if those victims lives don't deserve to be applauded.

I sincerely don't get how people can view the spontaneous eruptions of joy, or pride, or gratitude, as "inappropriate". I guess it goes back to LML's question; how do you want to view the world, and why?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:28 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Conservatives Praise Obama’s Tucson Speech

Fox News’ Brit Hume remarked that the “mood in that auditorium” was not appropriate but said Obama “behaved as some of his partisans have not, with considerable dignity and grace,” according to the website Mediaite.

Fox News’ Glenn Beck said on his blog that the crowd reaction was inappropriate at times, but the president did nothing to encourage it.

“This is probably the best speech he has ever given, and with all sincerity, thank you, Mr. President, for becoming the president of the United States of America last night,” Beck said. “It was needed, and you accomplished the job, and you did it expertly. Thank you, Mr. President.”
That DAMNED BECK!!!!

Always full of hate and....oh...nevermind.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, not really... I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat, and the fingers appeared to be wagging in BOTH directions within an hour of the shooting.
HERE on this forum it was a left poster,the third reply was his blaming the right wing etc etc.

The two posts before it were how shocking it was,mine was the second post in the thread.

In the real world,I believe Paul Krugman had penned an editorial on Saturday afternoon critical of the right....

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That DAMNED BECK!!!!

Always full of hate and....oh...nevermind.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I don't know who paid for them, I wouldn't have had them but I can see that someone wanted to put out a uplifting message of hope.
I was just thinking, it's actually quite common for people of certain cultures to wear "memorial t-shirts" when they lose a loved one... I used to work in a neighborhood with lots of Samoans, and they'd frequently come in wearing shirts like "Johnny, RIP 1960-2006." I personally find it a bit odd, but who am I to judge how people grieve?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It would appear that, for some, hatred of Obama trumps their ability to look objectively at the speech he gave. Even Fox News managed to be objective which really says everything about the haters.
The speech may have been appropriate but the audience was copmpletely out of line and ruined the solemn ocassion it should have been last evening. This only tells me the people there who committed these outrageous outbursts are ignorant fools who were attempting to politicize something that should have been a solemn occasion of remembrance and honor for the injured and the dead. I don't think it has anything to do with people who are opposed to PBO and his politics and everything to do with those who support his politics which should have been left at the door of the venue.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
HERE on this forum it was a left poster,the third reply was his blaming the right wing etc etc.

The two posts before it were how shocking it was,mine was the second post in the thread.

In the real world,I believe Paul Krugman had penned an editorial on Saturday afternoon critical of the right....
I didn't exactly do a thorough analysis, and I wasn't reading C-D from the second it happened... but it's safe to say both sides were pointing fingers rather quickly, don't you think? Two wrongs don't make a right, and if people are that concerned about it "not turning partisan," they shouldn't be contributing to these discussions. No?? I don't care who started it (so juvenile), I just wish the hateful divisiveness of this country would stop already. That's why I'm open to discussing the issue - not to place blame, but rather to find solutions for this current climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies