Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,870,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
The speech may have been appropriate but the audience was copmpletely out of line and ruined the solemn ocassion it should have been last evening. This only tells me the people there who committed these outrageous outbursts are ignorant fools who were attempting to politicize something that should have been a solemn occasion of remembrance and honor for the injured and the dead. I don't think it has anything to do with people who are opposed to PBO and his politics and everything to do with those who support his politics which should have been left at the door of the venue.
I don't disagree. But lets strip that out and get to the essence of what Obama was saying which was appropriate, unifying and, in my view, inspiring.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,819,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't exactly do a thorough analysis, and I wasn't reading C-D from the second it happened... but it's safe to say both sides were pointing fingers rather quickly, don't you think?
No,I was the second poster on the very first thread here on the topic.
The finger pointing was from the left at the beginning.The first post left that points ANY fingers is post#27....

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right, and if people are that concerned about it "not turning partisan," they shouldn't be contributing to these discussions. No?? I don't care who started it (so juvenile), I just wish the hateful divisiveness of this country would stop already. That's why I'm open to discussing the issue - not to place blame, but rather to find solutions for this current climate.
If you don't care who started it why are you trying to say both sides pointed fingers from the get go?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,090,252 times
Quote:
The speech may have been appropriate but the audience was copmpletely out of line and ruined the solemn ocassion it should have been last evening. This only tells me the people there who committed these outrageous outbursts are ignorant fools who were attempting to politicize something that should have been a solemn occasion of remembrance and honor for the injured and the dead. I don't think it has anything to do with people who are opposed to PBO and his politics and everything to do with those who support his politics which should have been left at the door of the venue.
Were those who cheered the heros who disarmed the gunman and the one who saved the congresswoman's life ignorant fools who were attempting to politicize something?

Were those who cheered both the current and the previous governor...one republican and one democrat....making a political statement?

Were those who cheered and cheered about Gaby opening her eyes doing so to politicize the occasion?

Or could you even possibly consider the supposition that they were using the only means available to them at the moment to tell people; "We are with you. We care. We appreciate you and your caring. We respect you." Why do you choose to insult people you don't know and whose motivation you can only surmise. Why do you look for the worse instead of expecting the best?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,377,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't disagree. But lets strip that out and get to the essence of what Obama was saying which was appropriate, unifying and, in my view, inspiring.

Agreed but the elephant in the room is why did he NOT remind the audience to behave with the dignity that this solemn ocassion demanded last night. Did he secretly like the way the gathering turned into a circus of political support by those who support him? PBO should have taken the politics out of the room and reminded his audience there was no room for anyone to agree with him through a raukus show of support at this solemn moment in time. Shame on those people.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Were those who cheered the heros who disarmed the gunman and the one who saved the congresswoman's life ignorant fools who were attempting to politicize something?

Were those who cheered both the current and the previous governor...one republican and one democrat....making a political statement?

Were those who cheered and cheered about Gaby opening her eyes doing so to politicize the occasion?

Or could you even possibly consider the supposition that they were using the only means available to them at the moment to tell people; "We are with you. We care. We appreciate you and your caring. We respect you." Why do you choose to insult people you don't know and whose motivation you can only surmise. Why do you look for the worse instead of expecting the best?
I know what you are trying to say here. But, IMHO, some - not all - of the cheering was a bit out of order. But, what we are getting here is really sad and along the lines of "if we cannot attack Obama for his speech, lets attack him via the audience". It is as I said earlier, there are some who are so blinded by their dislike of Obama that they are determined to find something bad to say in any situation.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Agreed but the elephant in the room is why did he NOT remind the audience to behave with the dignity that this solemn ocassion demanded last night. Did he secretly like the way the gathering turned into a circus of political support by those who support him? PBO should have taken the politics out of the room and reminded his audience there was no room for anyone to agree with him through a raukus show of support at this solemn moment in time. Shame on those people.
I think that you are just determined to criticize the President for something.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No,I was the second poster on the very first thread here on the topic.
The finger pointing was from the left at the beginning.
OMG... this is like the arguments I used to have with my brother, when we were like 5 & 10.

Quote:
If you don't care who started it why are you trying to say both sides pointed fingers from the get go?
Your question doesn't even make sense... my point was that both sides continue to fuel this partisan bickering, even down to who posted what first on C-D. If somebody teases your child, would you tell them it's okay to tease back? And then support them teasing each other back & forth for DAYS? I would hope not, and that you'd step in and say "I don't care who started it, just stop already!" That's all I'm trying to say. But you're an adult, so do whatever you want if it makes you happy.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I wonder who thought of the "blue" shirts.
If you lived here, you might know that's one of the two colors of the University of Arizona, which put on the event and paid for the shirts (the other being red, which would have been inappropriate) Stop looking for some conspiracy under every rock and leaf.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:
Why oh why do people think that memorial services have to be solemn service?

Celebrate the lives of the victims, celebrate the heroic efforts, and celebrate the fact that despite evils best efforts, we have already beaten its goals because we are closer now than we were before.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,840,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you lived here, you might know that's one of the two colors of the University of Arizona, which put on the event and paid for the shirts (the other being red, which would have been inappropriate) Stop looking for some conspiracy under every rock and leaf.
Why would red have been inappropriate?

Looking at a sea of blue, at a memorial that turned into a pep rally with the shouts and cheering and calls to obama, it is not hard at all to view it as a supposedly solemn event turned campaign rally. The behavior of the crowd, the optics, the memorabilia was distasteful to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies