Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times

Advertisements

For those of you that are from Latin America, do you consider yourself Hispanic, Latino or do you refer to your ethnicity/culture as something else.

For example, a person born in Mexico, with only Azteca heritage would not consider himself Hispanic, but a Mexican with Spanish ancestry would consider himself Hispanic. What do you think? Are we all the same? Should we all be categorized under one level? Is Hispanic the same as Latino? Which Latin American country is closer to Spanish ancestry and which one is furthest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Good question. I hope someone answers this. I never know whether to refer to someone as Latino or Hispanic. I assumed they were pretty much the same.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Is Hispanic the same as Latino?
I'am not Latino but I think as far as this the term Latino would include Brazilians since they don't speak spanish but are Latin through the Portuguese langauge. Hispanic is more about people with spanish speaking backrgounds.

Do people consider Haitians to be Latinos since French also comes from Latin?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:14 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
CLTKing;6295946
For those of you that are from Latin America, do you consider yourself Hispanic, Latino or do you refer to your ethnicity/culture as something else.
Quote:
For example, a person born in Mexico, with only Azteca heritage would not consider himself Hispanic, but a Mexican with Spanish ancestry would consider himself Hispanic.

IF THEY ARE LIVING IN THE US they are hispanic/latino regardless of their race and will be called that i think some fake civil rights latino groups mislead ppl about the term hispanic and latino and there are those who dont

Quote:
What do you think?
its not about the amount of spanish ancestry one has its about language and region(latin america) the term isnt used in any latin american country except maybe puerto rico with the heavy influence of american politics and ethnic terms describing puerto ricans in the states.

Quote:
Are we all the same?

NO, similar yes, but there are differences

Quote:
Should we all be categorized under one level?

thats up to the individuals, some may say yes for personal gains and others may say no, maybe the US should add meztizo and mullato for latin american decents in the US. many black latin americans have a hard time calling or accepting the fake that they are black or just dont see themselves as black but hispanic/latino that conflicts with those of who u say who are of aztec heritage only. and there were more than aztecs in mejico so why every mexican thinks their aztecs is beyond me, olmecs were there before them.

Is Hispanic the same as Latino?
yes and no. the word latino itself has a spanish or latin(european) swag to it. and the word latin comes from europe. the term latin america was coined by the french. back to latino vs hispanic though these arent racial terms brasilians would not be under the umbrella of hispanic because they speak portuguese not spanish

Quote:
Which Latin American country is closer to Spanish ancestry and which one is furthest?

i dont think any, all latin american countries have more than just a spanish european population, people decend from

WHITE LATIN AMERICANS
White Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the furthest would be the dominican republic or Nicaraugua but then you have to count the mullato and meztizo populations as well of various countries.

oh yeah im not latino.. but i know a little something.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
Where's crispy bacon on this one? He will no doubt come charging in soon claiming that 95% of Hispanics in America are white, European blooded....

Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'am not Latino but I think as far as this the term Latino would include Brazilians since they don't speak spanish but are Latin through the Portuguese langauge. Hispanic is more about people with spanish speaking backrgounds.

Do people consider Haitians to be Latinos since French also comes from Latin?

no. and this is confusing maybe its a racial issue?

Afro-Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here they dont list haiti but the fact is haiti is a latin american country whether other latino- americans(U.S) like it or not

French Caribbean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
then you got guadelupe,French Guiana(south american country)

List of Afro-Latinos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
on this page they list famous afro-latin american stars and wyclef jean is listed so is garceil beauvis.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Wasn't the term "Hispanic" made up by the US Census Bureau?
Back when they needed a quick catch-all to generalize a huge mix of people who happen to speak Spanish?
The term has ALWAYS bugged the Sh*t outta me. Leaves out so many...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post

For example, a person born in Mexico, with only Azteca heritage would not consider himself Hispanic, but a Mexican with Spanish ancestry would consider himself Hispanic. What do you think? Are we all the same? Should we all be categorized under one level? Is Hispanic the same as Latino? Which Latin American country is closer to Spanish ancestry and which one is furthest?
I am of Mexican descent. What do I prefer to be called and what do I call myself? An AMERICAN!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I am of Mexican descent. What do I prefer to be called and what do I call myself? An AMERICAN!!!!!
are you labeled a sell out for not calling yourself your mother country?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
are you labeled a sell out for not calling yourself your mother country?
I am by many. I just moved from CA to Missouri. I am sick of the hatred that so many Hispanics are showing toward the whites in this country. They bring on their own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies