Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Why do they do it? It sells.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

you were saying????
All of those are terrible.

But do you know what separates them from Sarah Palin and others?

Those guys aren't leaders, we can dismiss them as whack jobs. Its much harder to dismiss a former governor and probable Presidential nominee and others who are public figures as whack jobs.

For example, if someone you work with tells you not to get a flu shot, you just blow them off. If the Vice President does it, well, you might take slightly more notice.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Lock, stock and barrel, Kentucky windage

Because most Americans can identify with with such terms.

First there are the gun owners and then there are video game players and movie goers who don't own guns and are very familiar with violence portrayed. Check out your kids' video games and music lyrics.

Then there are the liberals who see potential violence in such words and are well versed in their meaning as they constantly use the terms to gain political advantage. These words become a Rorsach test of sort that reveals their obsession with violence.

Then there are the sportswriters who who report that one teams blasted the other team or the Tigers ripped the Dolphins.

Of course being a straight shooter or having your sights set on target mean you will soon manifest a violent outburst. Gosh, your mother probably told you she would kill you if you did that one more time.

Getting your ducks in a row? Now just what do you mean by that! Who do you intend to kill?

If one asks for a magazine while in the dentist's office, should they be arrested?

Should golf advocates denounce the use of the term 'round' to avoid violent backlash? I mean these guys are swing clubs like the hordes that swept thru Europe.

Offering someone a 'primer' as a preface to a course or procedure is now indictable?

Is saying, 'he's got 'brass' accusatory?

We have to think of another name for the 'chamber' of congress.

Fully 'stocked' is a dreadful term and never say, let's 'scope' it out.

'Armed' with facts for the big meeting? quick call security!

A 'shotgun' approach to treating an illness or sales problem can only mean pending doom.

'Canon' camera is looking for a new name.

Seeing a 'mitsubishi' is a reference to a military war machine that shot down our service men.

Who would own a volkswagon with its introduction during the Hitler years?

Baseball's murderers row and Bronx bombers were noted for their 'big guns'.

Then Obama spoke about taking vengence on your opponents....

"Using symbols of violence and death as metaphors is a clear symptom of a violence prone, mentally unbalanced person."

and vhat do you theenk of when you hear the word, O bomb a

Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
It was the first one I saw or mentioned on the news. What would you like me to do? Research like a maniac? Its wrong enuff said. Anyone who does stupid crap like this is wrong. What?
Agreed. The problem I have with this type of statement being made is individually naming any one person, unless they are personally involved.

Didn't mean to jump on you.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
LOL! You just CAN'T answer, can ya? NO defense of Palin whatsoever

Hilarious...so you agree she took it down because it was nasty....
No. Unlike some posters here I would prefer to hear her own explaination rather than make crap up.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Got that right
Good thing the dems always admit their errors, right?

Can you say Cap and Trade or Obamacare?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm going to attempt to answer this in Palin's case, at least.

Sarah Palin created an image of herself as an outdoorswoman, a "real person" who goes huntin' and fishin' (in reality though, that's debatable but another story).

I saw the crosshairs as rifle sitings as well as a cheesy metaphor for her huntin' and fishin' ways. But I've spent most of my life in Alaska.

An urban liberal, on the other hand, may have a different frame of reference for that metaphor, because in their subjective experience, guns mean urban violence.

Nah! I just thought it was penis envy

Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Introducing the Democratic Junior Senator from W.Virginia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJORBRpOPM
Correction;

introducing CONSERVATIVE Democratic Senator Joe Manchin from West Virginia.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nah! I just thought it was penis envy
Certainly shows where your mind is.....

Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Why continue lying? I thought people on the right were so much more mature than people on the left.
Okay, I stand corrected. But it wasn't a "lie". An error, perhaps. My point was that he wasn't a "Tea Party" member or a part of any consevative movememt, as the Democrats who are blaming this on everyone from Sarah Palin to Mark Lavin (Chris Matthews) are doing.

Let's face it, they guy was just a mental case.

Now, why don't you tone down your rhetoric, and think again before you call someone a liar, hmmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies