Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,151,860 times

Advertisements

What is the point of people like Palin, Limbaugh, etc etc using fire arm metaphors ?
One glance at that video of Palin attempting to fire a rifle made it obvious that Palin is a amateur where fire arms are concerned.

Limbaugh, well a pimple on his backside stopped him from serving, what was his motto, onward Aussie soldiers ?
Again, what he would know about firearms could be put on the sharp end of a pin.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,056,207 times
Using symbols of violence and death as metaphors is a clear symptom of a violence prone, mentally unbalanced person.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

898 posts, read 825,500 times
Obsessing? Is this love speech from the left?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:55 PM

13,627 posts, read 20,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
What is the point of people like Palin, Limbaugh, etc etc using fire arm metaphors ?
One glance at that video of Palin attempting to fire a rifle made it obvious that Palin is a amateur where fire arms are concerned.

Limbaugh, well a pimple on his backside stopped him from serving, what was his motto, onward Aussie soldiers ?
Again, what he would know about firearms could be put on the sharp end of a pin.
I suppose for the same reason Obama and probably you as well use them.

Hyperbole is a literal tool.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,811,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Using symbols of violence and death as metaphors is a clear symptom of a violence prone, mentally unbalanced person.
Obama: ‘If They Bring a Knife to the Fight, We Bring a Gun’

Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM

26,534 posts, read 36,403,088 times
Quote:

I'm going to attempt to answer this in Palin's case, at least.

Sarah Palin created an image of herself as an outdoorswoman, a "real person" who goes huntin' and fishin' (in reality though, that's debatable but another story).

I saw the crosshairs as rifle sitings as well as a cheesy metaphor for her huntin' and fishin' ways. But I've spent most of my life in Alaska.

An urban liberal, on the other hand, may have a different frame of reference for that metaphor, because in their subjective experience, guns mean urban violence.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,065,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Coming to that conclusion sure needs to be evaluated.

Those type of metaphors are used EVERWHERE, as in politics, business and games. It is the sick, violence prone, mentally unbalanced or aganda driven mind that sees them other than a metaphor.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,816,572 times
Quote:
Why did Obama use a gun metaphor when he said "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun"???????????????????????????

Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,065,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm going to attempt to answer this in Palin's case, at least.

Sarah Palin created an image of herself as an outdoorswoman, a "real person" who goes huntin' and fishin' (in reality though, that's debatable but another story).

I saw the crosshairs as rifle sitings as well as a cheesy metaphor for her huntin' and fishin' ways. But I've spent most of my life in Alaska.

An urban liberal, on the other hand, may have a different frame of reference for that metaphor, because in their subjective experience, guns mean urban violence.

That just makes too much sense for those lefties with an agenda. Palin, like all hunters and people who are into target shooting, use this analogy for many things. The left sees what they thought was a golden opportunity slipping through their fingers to USE the deaths of people for their own agenda.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,026,348 times
Gun owners are an important part of their base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies